• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

CAr issue: AC works in neutral, first gear, 5th gear.

Renae

Banned
Suspended
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
But blows hot air in 2-4th gear.

I have yet to figure this out. It's not speed. I can be doing 50 in 4th, hot air, 35-40 in 5th, cold air, lower RPM. I drive a 2014 Ford Fiesta, 5sp manual.

It's driving me bonkers. I've cleared the condenser, changed the air filter, topped the Freon off...
I really don't want to pay for a mechanic, but on the flip side I'm stumped on the cause. Maybe after I change the serpentine belt out next week it'll get better...

That is really strange, not a wizard with cars but, sounds like you might have a crack in your condenser that perhaps you didn't notice?

But blows hot air in 2-4th gear.

I have yet to figure this out. It's not speed. I can be doing 50 in 4th, hot air, 35-40 in 5th, cold air, lower RPM. I drive a 2014 Ford Fiesta, 5sp manual.

It's driving me bonkers. I've cleared the condenser, changed the air filter, topped the Freon off...
I really don't want to pay for a mechanic, but on the flip side I'm stumped on the cause. Maybe after I change the serpentine belt out next week it'll get better...

Unless you have put a lot of miles on it you should still be under the manufactures warranty. I expect the AC should be part of the basic warranty of the car. If so then you don't have to worry about the mechanic charge

Unless you have put a lot of miles on it you should still be under the manufactures warranty. I expect the AC should be part of the basic warranty of the car. If so then you don't have to worry about the mechanic charge

pushing 70k. Sadly

That is really strange, not a wizard with cars but, sounds like you might have a crack in your condenser that perhaps you didn't notice?

Maybe But I refilled freon a month ago level hasn't moved

Um....out of curiosity, how did you manage to get your A/C hooked up to your transmission?

Not anything near an expert, but could it be an electrical issue? A crossed wire between the thingy that shifts gear and the thingy that controls the AC?

If the A/C cools like it should in 1st, neutral, and 5th, there can't be any problem with the A/C itself. The problem must be that something else is preventing the A/C from working when you are in the other gears. Computers in modern cars interact in odd, complex ways, and for who knows what reason, some electrical switch operated by the transmission just might be shutting off the A/C compressor when it shouldn't. It would be interesting just to change gears in your driveway while keeping the clutch pedal down, with the engine idling, to see if the A/C output changed as you shifted while the car was sitting still.

There are usually only two switches that shut off the A/C without the controls being changed. One does it when the system is either too low on Freon (to save the compressor, whose lube oil is mixed in with the Freon), or when the pressure gets so high (because of extremely hot weather, too much Freon in the system, malfunction of the engine's cooling fan, etc.) it might damage something in the system. The other shuts off the A/C at wide-open throttle as a safety measure, so all the engine power can temporarily go toward moving the car for passing, etc.

Last edited:
If you are doing 50 in forth it is blowing hot air how about doing 50 in fifth?
If blowing hot air check your radiator. Perhaps engine cooling is a problem and the car is ensuring it does not over heat

pushing 70k. Sadly
Sometimes an extended warranty is good value. In particular if you plan to own the vehicle for a lengthy period.

Sometimes an extended warranty is good value. In particular if you plan to own the vehicle for a lengthy period.

A good point, for a future car.

A good point, for a future car.

Up here you can shop around. You may purchase the car at 1 place, but another dealer can sell the extra warranty.
They have a substantial markup on extra warranty so deal hard.

Suppose that you have a vacuum operated air flow damper. Suppose that you have a vacuum leak, and are generating insufficient vacuum to hold that damper in place to allow air to flow over the AC coil in second through fourth. I'd look at that. I'm willing to bet you have a vacuum leak somewhere. Finding it might be a little trying. Fixing it once you find it shouldn't be. Naturally, I've lost bets before, but it's worth a look.

I got a 7-year warranty on my 2015 Lexus for under $2000. From the Lexus dealer, so it's first rate. Can't beat that, IMO. In today's world, so often it's "replace the computer module" to the tune of a few grand. I'll trade or sell it just before it expires.

I got a 7-year warranty on my 2015 Lexus for under $2000. From the Lexus dealer, so it's first rate. Can't beat that, IMO. In today's world, so often it's "replace the computer module" to the tune of a few grand. I'll trade or sell it just before it expires.

It does not take much to run up 1 or 2 thousand in repairs.
I find they have value and does yours have roadside assistance? I am sure it does
That is another cost when not having the extended warranty- so when figuring out the value many do not include that.

It does not take much to run up 1 or 2 thousand in repairs.
I find they have value and does yours have roadside assistance? I am sure it does
That is another cost when not having the extended warranty- so when figuring out the value many do not include that.

Thank you. I'm going to check that since I know I pay for it thru my car insurance. Excellent point.

Thank you. I'm going to check that since I know I pay for it thru my car insurance. Excellent point.
You are more than welcome. Up here it is included with the Toyota plan. I am sure it is with others as well.

Back
Top Bottom