• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Car advice needed. RWD?

Threegoofs

Sophisticated man-about-town
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
The city Fox News viewers are afraid to travel to
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
I have a nice situation- I get a car every four years or so for work, and I can choose from about six models.

I’m up for a new one to replace my 2015 Volvo S60.

I drive mostly in the city with some longer (three or four hour) highway trips, and I really don’t need to haul anymore than just myself usually, although it’s nice to have a functional backseat and some trunk space. Another consideration is that in 4 years, I can generally buy the car and I think one of my kids could be interested at that point.

My choices are (in order of my interest):
Mercedes S300 - basic model
Toyota RAV4 Limited, hybrid, AWD
Volvo S60

Other options are a Mercedes GLA AWD, Chevy Equinox,GMC Terrain, or a Toyota Avalon XLE- I’m not that interested in these.

My main issue is that I really like the Mercedes, but the S300 is only available to me in rear wheel drive. I’m in Chicago, so we do get some snow, and I remember how awful RWD cars were when I drive them back in the 80s. I’ve actually never had anything other than a FWD car for the last 30+ years.

But reading a bit, it sounds like the new traction control and electronic stability systems have helped this issue, and I do have the option of getting snow tires (but I really don’t want to deck with storing them).

I like the RAV4- it’s larger than I thought, but seems to be really nice. I like SUVs generally since the ride is high and visibility is great. I don’t pay for gas, but I like the environmentally friendly aspect of the hybrid- plus it’s AWD.

So... is a RWD car a dealbreaker for me because of Chicago winters?

Look at Subaru, which has very high marks for safety and have several AWD models.

I have a nice situation- I get a car every four years or so for work, and I can choose from about six models.

I drive mostly in the city with some longer (three or four hour) highway trips, and I really don’t need to haul anymore than just myself usually, although it’s nice to have a functional backseat and some trunk space. Another consideration is that in 4 years, I can generally buy the car and I think one of my kids could be interested at that point.

Volvo S60

Other options are a Mercedes GLA AWD, Chevy Equinox,GMC Terrain, or a Toyota Avalon XLE- I’m not that interested in these.

My main issue is that I really like the Mercedes, but the S300 is only available to me in rear wheel drive. I’m in Chicago, so we do get some snow, and I remember how awful RWD cars were when I drive them back in the 80s. I’ve actually never had anything other than a FWD car for the last 30+ years.

But reading a bit, it sounds like the new traction control and electronic stability systems have helped this issue, and I do have the option of getting snow tires (but I really don’t want to deck with storing them).

I like the RAV4- it’s larger than I thought, but seems to be really nice. I like SUVs generally since the ride is high and visibility is great. I don’t pay for gas, but I like the environmentally friendly aspect of the hybrid- plus it’s AWD.

I dont have any experience with newer RWD, but I do recall that one of the added benefits of FWD was having the weight of the engine over the traction wheels; beyond that, I really dont know....are you allowed to test drive any of them on sand or similar surfaces?

Volvo S60

Of those on your list I would go with the RAV4.

If thriftiness is what you're worried about, though, there's always the RAV4 hybrid. It gets up to 39 mpg combined now, according to the EPA. The hybrid model also has a bit of extra power, with a combined output of 219 horsepower, and the electric motor's torque makes it feel slightly more responsive in everyday driving. It's also quieter than the standard gas model, with better engine-noise isolation, and it only costs $800 more than equivalent all-wheel-drive gas models, helping its value equation.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2019-toyota-rav4-suv-drive

Volvo S60

I don’t think that a current model MB can be reasonably compared to anything from the 1980’s. I’m in the DC area and the roads are well maintained and snowfall is surely not as bad as Chicago. The RAV 4 would probably do better in snow/ice, but there are times when venturing out is foolish. How big a boy are you? I think the MB will be more comfortable. The missus had a 2004 RAV4 and the body style was better than the current models, imo.

Volvo S60

A Benz is nice, but they are pains when it comes to maintenance. You can't take it to anywhere but a MB dealer to get service for it. That's why I got rid of mine. I also wouldn't suggest RWD in Chicago, because of the snow.

Toyota Rav4 is a nice little SUV but it's tiny. Not sure about the comfort level. The Avalon is ****. Very uncomfortable. We rented once and drove it to NoLa and hated it.

I'd go with the Volvo if I were you. If it's a front wheel drive. :lol:

Volvo S60

If you don't particularly care about gas and gas costs, consider Jeep. You ride high w/great visibility, you can get part-time (IOW, real) 4WD and, to my experience, they're reliable as hell.

I wouldn't touch any rear wheel drive car living up north. I know the technology probably is better now than it was 30-40 years ago but still it's easier to pull something through the snow than push it.

Last edited:
I dont have any experience with newer RWD, but I do recall that one of the added benefits of FWD was having the weight of the engine over the traction wheels; beyond that, I really dont know....are you allowed to test drive any of them on sand or similar surfaces?

That’s the other thing- the MB dealership sells no S300s that are not AWD. I can’t test it... and besides, even if I did, I don’t think we will have snow this week.

I don’t think that a current model MB can be reasonably compared to anything from the 1980’s. I’m in the DC area and the roads are well maintained and snowfall is surely not as bad as Chicago. The RAV 4 would probably do better in snow/ice, but there are times when venturing out is foolish. How big a boy are you? I think the MB will be more comfortable. The missus had a 2004 RAV4 and the body style was better than the current models, imo.

My daughter has a 2004 RAV. Not even remotely comparable. The new RAV is much bigger.

Both are comfortable, but the MB seems REALLY comfortable!

Volvo S60

Is this a lease or a purchase?

Off the mainstream but with potential for great discounts. Where I am, you can get a Genesis G90 (full size luxury sedan) with V8 or TT V6 for $38 000 USD. They are 2017 models but new (dealer trying to clear old stock). That when new has a MRSP of $75 k iti is also AWD. If I was in the market for a new car, it would be what I would buy

I live in Calgary Canada, so we do get snow as well. For 6 years I drove a Nissan 370z a RWD car in the middle of winter with just a couple of days of issue when the snow fall was 6 inches of wet and heavy snow. (lack of ground clearance, I did use performance snow tires). So RWD and snow is not a problem if you keep generally to city driving

As for your choices. The MB S class, the one your kid would want to drive in 4 years, but maintenance costs will be high, much higher than Japanese or US brands. (Are you sure it is a S class and not the E or C class). It will be fine in winter, you would want snow tires, but with an extra set of rims, they could be stored at the dealership for $60 per season and installed by the dealership for $50)

Rav4 should provide the most trouble free miles, in a boring but reliable vehicle. Not as good a highway ride as either the MB or volvo

Volvo S60, the new one is reportedly a great car, a good jump over the 2015 model (2019 model is new design)

A Benz is nice, but they are pains when it comes to maintenance. You can't take it to anywhere but a MB dealer to get service for it. That's why I got rid of mine. I also wouldn't suggest RWD in Chicago, because of the snow.

Toyota Rav4 is a nice little SUV but it's tiny. Not sure about the comfort level. The Avalon is ****. Very uncomfortable. We rented once and drove it to NoLa and hated it.

I'd go with the Volvo if I were you. If it's a front wheel drive. :lol:

Volvo's are either AWD or FWD, no RWD models

My daughter has a 2004 RAV. Not even remotely comparable. The new RAV is much bigger.

Both are comfortable, but the MB seems REALLY comfortable!

The MD is a full size lux sedan. The S class is the best lux sedan below the Bentley and RR models by far. If your company is paying for it, go for it, and get the snow tires. They are not much of an issue

Is this a lease or a purchase?

Off the mainstream but with potential for great discounts. Where I am, you can get a Genesis G90 (full size luxury sedan) with V8 or TT V6 for $38 000 USD. They are 2017 models but new (dealer trying to clear old stock). That when new has a MRSP of $75 k iti is also AWD. If I was in the market for a new car, it would be what I would buy

I live in Calgary Canada, so we do get snow as well. For 6 years I drove a Nissan 370z a RWD car in the middle of winter with just a couple of days of issue when the snow fall was 6 inches of wet and heavy snow. (lack of ground clearance, I did use performance snow tires). So RWD and snow is not a problem if you keep generally to city driving

As for your choices. The MB S class, the one your kid would want to drive in 4 years, but maintenance costs will be high, much higher than Japanese or US brands. (Are you sure it is a S class and not the E or C class). It will be fine in winter, you would want snow tires, but with an extra set of rims, they could be stored at the dealership for $60 per season and installed by the dealership for $50)

Rav4 should provide the most trouble free miles, in a boring but reliable vehicle. Not as good a highway ride as either the MB or volvo

Volvo S60, the new one is reportedly a great car, a good jump over the 2015 model (2019 model is new design)

I haven’t driven the Volvo yet- I’ll have to check it out.

I would think Calgary gets more snow than Chicago, so maybe a RWD might not be crazy.

I don’t pay for fuel.

I was considering your stated desire to later buy the vehicle at which point you will be paying for fuel as well as other vehicle maintenance costs. My neighbors have a RAV4 (but not the hybrid model) and they like it very much - since he is a mechanic I trust his choice in vehicles. The article (which I included a link to) noted that road noise reduction and power/acceleration increase were worth the $800 upgrade to the hybrid version. Buy what you want - I was merely trying to help you decide.

The MD is a full size lux sedan. The S class is the best lux sedan below the Bentley and RR models by far. If your company is paying for it, go for it, and get the snow tires. They are not much of an issue

But the issue is... RWD in Chicago, even with snow tires.

I was considering your stated desire to later buy the vehicle at which point you will be paying for fuel as well as other vehicle maintenance costs. My neighbors have a RAV4 (but not the hybrid model) and they like it very much - since he is a mechanic I trust his choice in vehicles. The article (which I included a link to) noted that road noise reduction and power/acceleration increase were worth the $800 upgrade to the hybrid version. Buy what you want - I was merely trying to help you decide.

Good point- I don’t see the kids getting, or wanting, the Mercedes (my 21 year old son said ‘Dad, you’re not enough of a douche to drive a Mercedes’!) but the RAV is possible.

Good point- I don’t see the kids getting, or wanting, the Mercedes (my 21 year old son said ‘Dad, you’re not enough of a douche to drive a Mercedes’!) but the RAV is possible.

My neighbors also tow a modest sized (19'?) travel trailer with it as well as their boat - before we got a decent hitch put on our Tahoe they also towed our 28' travel trailer with it. For a truck (SUV?) it rides very well - at least take a test drive in one. Be sure to check out the rear seat room - you may not care now, since you ride mainly alone, but for later "hand me down" use that rear seat comfort may be important.

The OP can correct me where I'm wrong, but it sounds like he has a fleet vehicle, in which case the choices he listed are really his only choices.

How much time do you spend in the car? Highway, city, both? Me personally, I'd go for comfort first if you spend alot of time in the car. Can you picture yourself comfortably driving the RAV4 for several hours in a stretch (again, assuming longer hours)? If just short trips between destinations is your travel habit then maneuverability is the way to go. Plus, with everyone else driving SUVs these days, at least your visibility around other vehicles would be better with the RAV4 than the Mercedes.

My neighbors also tow a modest sized (19'?) travel trailer with it as well as their boat - before we got a decent hitch put on our Tahoe they also towed our 28' travel trailer with it. For a truck (SUV?) it rides very well - at least take a test drive in one. Be sure to check out the rear seat room - you may not care now, since you ride mainly alone, but for later "hand me down" use that rear seat comfort may be important.

I did yes drive it. Very nice, and my 6’2” son was in the back seat and said it was ok.

The OP can correct me where I'm wrong, but it sounds like he has a fleet vehicle, in which case the choices he listed are really his only choices.

How much time do you spend in the car? Highway, city, both? Me personally, I'd go for comfort first if you spend alot of time in the car. Can you picture yourself comfortably driving the RAV4 for several hours in a stretch (again, assuming longer hours)? If just short trips between destinations is your travel habit then maneuverability is the way to go. Plus, with everyone else driving SUVs these days, at least your visibility around other vehicles would be better with the RAV4 than the Mercedes.

I’m equal city and highway, with a lot of expressway traffic.

I can be comfortable in both, more comfortable in the MB, but possibly extremely uncomfortable once or twice a year if the damn Benz can’t get moving in the snow and I’m two hours from home.

But the issue is... RWD in Chicago, even with snow tires.

RWD is just as good as FWD or RWD today. Traction control, stability control etc all help control the car. With snow tires the only issue would be ground clearance. The MB should have about the same as the S60 you already have. If you had no issues getting around in that the MB should be fine.

Note I drove a Nissan 370z (sports car, in the winter daily with snow tires for 6 years, never got stuck, close on one day) in a city that does not plow secondary streets, just the main roads. Heck everyone 40 years ago drove RWD cars all year with no stability control and much worse tires)

Volvo S60

It would be for me. An AWD vehicle is more sure footed on wet, slick, snowy or otherwise compromised roads. When going around a corner a bit too fast (not that I do that!) and hitting a few bumps, the AWD doesn't skitter sidewise like two wheel drive vehicles do. I've been driving Subarus for the past several years, and would never go back to 2 WD.

Back
Top Bottom