• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Captured Russian Pilot Says He Was Ordered to Hit Civilian Targets

The one fact that the world is witnessing is many civilian targets inside Ukraine that are being hit. I'm 99.9% certain that war crimes have been committed, since Russia invaded Ukraine. As to these early on videos of captured Russians making statements by their own choosing and free will of the content offered will need further proving out. Said captured Russians do appear to be possibly coached with making their statements. I repeat, possibly. If Russia hadn't invaded Ukraine, this topic wouldn't even be taking place. A wrong move right out of the gate.
I mean if the standard is that your ordered to invade means you have signed away Geneva Convention rights then I don’t know why we’re even bothering talking about war crimes because you’ve created the standard that there is no such thing

And the indiscriminate bombing of civilians during WWII is what led to present day rules against doing just that. After all, do you really want the use of nuclear bombs on civilians populations in Hiroshima and Nagasaki to establish precedent?
I'm not attempting to glorify any the extremes which happen in war, I'm just stating what should be the obvious, and that there never are any wars/battles which are neat and tidy.

WWII and the Civil war are "Modern"?
Sure! Don't you remember watching scenes from the Civil War on CNN? Wolf Blitzer reporting live on the battlefield...man he was good.

I'm on board with that but highly doubt that Putin will ever be captured. Hope I am proven wrong someday.
I think he'll either blow his brains out when the end is nigh or he hightails to China to live in exile.

Sure! Don't you remember watching scenes from the Civil War on CNN? Wolf Blitzer reporting live on the battlefield...man he was good.
You might be thinking of Dan Rather.

I think he'll either blow his brains out when the end is nigh or he hightails to China to live in exile.
If I were a general close to him, I'd have putin in a bunker and be the only input for him and just tell him "We are winning" and keep him happy and away from nuke buttons until it's time to arrest him.

If Putin chooses to relocate in China, hope Xi makes him his personal bitch. :)

Last edited:
I mean if the standard is that your ordered to invade means you have signed away Geneva Convention rights then I don’t know why we’re even bothering talking about war crimes because you’ve created the standard that there is no such thing
I suspect that the Hague will determine the war criminals from either country from such which applies.

You can never trust much of any information like this during a war. In WW1 the British claimed that the Germans were celebrating in the streets of Germany after the sinking of RMS Lusitania. The British propagandists even claimed Germany declared a national holiday to celebrate the sinking of a passenger ship and the killing of civilians. It was a lie, but one that helped to draw the USA into WW1.

None of this is new, it is the same game propagandists have always played.

Russia may be targeting civilians, or it may be collateral damage. But when we are talking about tareting civilians during a war, does anyone actually believe the USA, Britain, France, Germany, Spain, Italy or any of us have never done so?

War is hell as somebody once said. Why does that surprise anyone?
There was long a rumor that the Lusitania was carrying munitions, making it a legitimate target. A few years back a British diving expedition found and robot explored the wreck. Four million rounds of British .303 ammo. That's about a quarter million pounds, probably around 20 truckloads, given the size of trucks in 1916. Is it possible that Woodrow Wilson was unaware of this leaving NYC? Or was this oversight an excuse for the war he had promised Americans not to get into?

One can see how distinction works under the law of armed conflict here. Ukrainian forces attacking Russian armored unit. Artillery on cities is almost a per se war crime. The law of war requires distinction (between civilians and military targets) and proportionality. Russia is not complying with either.

Hand him over to the ICC guys. Let them use him as a witness in Putzin's war crimes trial.
There will never be a war crimes trial for Putin. Only losers are brought to trial for war crimes and Putin will not lose even if it means using Nukes.

Stuff goes wrong even for us. If you think we don't also hit civilians in our "precision" bombing, then I question the news sources you are reading.

It makes total sense to me that a Russian operation would incur more civilian damage, and it isn't as if the Ukrainians are not offering a resistance is it? That alone will cause more shelling and more bombing---- with Russian dumb bombs.
Incidental collateral losses in the fog of war do indeed happen despite best laid plans and intentions. But there isn't anything even remotely incidental about Russia's attacks on hospitals and schools, dropping butterfly mines into ceasefire corridors, using cluster bombs in urban residential areas, agreeing to meaningless ceasefires and opening civilian refugee evacuation corridors to nowhere and firing upon the defenseless civilians within them. These are clear violations of the laws of war as well as human decency. And how dare you cast blame for the monstrosity of Russia's actions upon the Ukrainian people for wanting defend their homeland against a lawless invader. With that you have gone from Putin apologist to Putin total suck-up
Everybody understands the long standing strategy which is the hallmark of Russian military opperations to be brutal. We saw it in Afghanistan, Chechnya, Syria, and now in this conflict. These are RUSSIANS, they are not Victorian age English gentlemen.
Indeed they are not gentlemen. They're terrorists.
Could be. Or maybe the Russians are not keen on employing a total war strategy for an operation which they could reasonably know they would win after cutting off Ukrainian supply lines and circling the capital. There is no doubt that Russian artillary could turn Kiev into rubble, but maybe they are not wanting to do that. Russia cannot pull off a Gulf war 1 "shock and awe" like we can. But they are not going to loose this war. There has been a very slow progression in the Russian advancement, and it may not just be due to Ukranian resistance. It could be Russia not wanting to instigate a NATO response. Personally, I wish they would just get this over with, as I know they are going to take Kiev anyway.'
Definitely not keen strategy by Russia. It's a strategy based mostly on emotion, the emotions of one man really, Putin. I think Putin does intend to reduce Kyiv into rubble, as he did to Aleppo. But the lessons of Stalingrad should probably inform him that this may not be a smart strategy if the goal is to take Kyiv by ground forces. Rubble lends to the defender much greater advantages than it does to the attacker. And don't kid yourself. Russia cannot win so long as Ukraine keeps fighting. Russia simply doesn't have the troops and resources to take and hold Ukraine and control the populace. It would require massive callups and recruitment to even begin to approach the numbers needed. And if they start doing that the Russian people will then be going; 'What the hey!' Time is on Ukraine's side. Not Russia's. And it will run out sooner for them then it will Ukraine.
LOL This conflict has been going on for years already. Putin choosing now to finish it only speaks to the weakness of Biden in basically inviting it to happen.
Indeed it had been going for years. Russian state forces fired upon Ukrainian state forces and seized Ukrainian naval vessels and sailors. They flooded the breakaway regions with bogus Russian passports to set up the pretext of having to defend Russian 'citizens' that are not really Russian citizens. They watched a US President refuse to render even symbolic support to Ukraine's President and then slow walk the Congressionally appropriated aid and even use it to strongarm Zelensky in granting that US President personal political favors and concessions while simultaneously disparaging the relative worth of remaining in the NATO alliance and sowing political and cultural division here at home including publicly questioning validity of our elections . All that was Trump's doings. Why would Putin go through the trouble of mounting a costly military offensive when he has Trump doing his bidding? As Napoleon said; "Never interrupt your enemy when he's making a mistake." When Trump lost the election Putin lost his best friend.

But, but, but.... what if Russia still believes strongly that the Ukraine, like Crimea, and Georgia are part of their empire which they lost unfairly. Not saying they are right, but that is what they believe. Kind of the same way China wanted back Hong Kong and now Taiwan too.
But course they aren't right. Kyiv was a city and cultural center before Moscow was even being contemplated as a village. That's pure revisionist history poppycock.
But, but, but..... when the Ukraine (part of the people) wanted to have closer economic ties to the EU, and possibly military ties to NATO, you don't think that made the Russian feel insecure? It is a fair question is it not?
LOL! It's much more than just a part of the Ukrainian people. Zelensky ran on reform that would break the oligarchs grip on Ukraine, negotiating an end to the Donbass conflict, and a pro-western trajectory foreign policy. And he was overwhelmingly elected by the Ukrainian people. The reasons for why the Ukrainian people desire to seek closer economic and political ties with the West is a question for Putin and Russia to be asking themselves. Maybe that question that makes Putin and the oligarchs feel insecure but highly doubt that it and NATO is a source of concern for the Russian people who just want to be left alone and a chance to live and thrive with reasonable modicum of comfort.
Russia is only a regional power, they have no Navy capable of projecting power across the globe. Clearly they are not adept at running any kind of coordinated air campaign, and they have lots of issues with training, maintenence, and supply problems. So no, they are a global threat.....well...other than their nukes and that my friend is worth worrying about.
Clearly Russia would not stand a chance in a conventional war with the US, much less NATO. And if that were all then indeed they would not be that big a threat. But whoops! Wait a minute! They happen to have enough nuclear weapons to destroy the world a few times over, Kinda forgot that for a minute, didn't you? So yeah, they are a global threat.

Back
Top Bottom