• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Capitol Police told not to use most aggressive tactics in riot response, report finds

Chillfolks

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
Capitol Police officers were instructed by leaders not to use their most aggressive tactics when responding to the mob of pro-Trump rioters who stormed the Capitol on Jan. 6, according to a new report from the agency's internal watchdog.

In the report, titled "Review of the Events Surrounding the Jan. 6, 2021, Takeover of the U.S. Capitol," which was obtained by The New York Times, Capitol Police Inspector General Michael Bolton found that three days before the mob attack, officials were warned in an intelligence assessment of the potential for violence on Jan. 6 in which "Congress itself is the target."

Bolton noted that "heavier, less-lethal weapons," including stun grenades, "were not used that day because of orders from leadership," even though officials who responded to the rioting later told Bolton that these tools would have helped police "push back the rioters."

There needs to be some explanations for why the leaders choose not to deploy all the tools they had at their disposal. It is almost as if they held back their response to purposefully allow the mob to grow uncontrollable. The Capital Police were warned but still choose to not use all means avaliable to them. That is unacceptable and whomever made those choices should receive punishment for their poor choices.

There needs to be some explanations for why the leaders choose not to deploy all the tools they had at their disposal. It is almost as if they held back their response to purposefully allow the mob to grow uncontrollable. The Capital Police were warned but still choose to not use all means avaliable to them. That is unacceptable and whomever made those choices should receive punishment for their poor choices.
Didn't Pelosi say it was "optics?" It's a fairly popular stance by a lot of cities. They believe an aggressive response will lead to escalated violence by the mob. You saw it play out in cities all across America last summer.

Didn't Pelosi say it was "optics?" It's a fairly popular stance by a lot of cities. They believe an aggressive response will lead to escalated violence by the mob. You saw it play out in cities all across America last summer.
Its playing out tonight in Michigan. Or is it in Minnesota lol

I would agree its was done for optics but doubt Pelosi and I would agree on the optics

Where is your link?

There wasn't enough officers. Using more aggressive weapons wouldn't have helped.

Where is your link?

There wasn't enough officers. Using more aggressive weapons wouldn't have helped.
Sure it would have. Rubber bullets should have been used liberally

"orders from leadership". Really hating this kind of reporting of vagaries. It's not like you climb the professional ladder and jump into a pool of tons of people. It gets fewer as you go up. So which ****ing leaders?

Who is leadership? Was it the dems who ordered this even though they weren't in control of the government at the time? Whoever this is, they should all be prosecuted.

Where is your link?

Obviously this does not apply to the blm movement. Plenty of officers in their swat gear.

Obviously this does not apply to the blm movement. Plenty of officers in their swat gear.
Why would they be in swat gear? The democrats say it't peaceful protest.
Never mind the billion in damange.

Why would they be in swat gear? The democrats say it't peaceful protest.
Never mind the billion in damange.
You tell me why they were in swat gear? Did you forget trump's little trip to church so he could hold a bible upside down to show all the good christians what a good person he is?

Consider the possible death toll had the police followed the wishes of some of the suggestions by posters on dealing with Black Lives Matter and Antifa protests.

'Deadly force' is used more often than necessary in these United States of America.

Regards, stay safe 'n well.

"orders from leadership". Really hating this kind of reporting of vagaries. It's not like you climb the professional ladder and jump into a pool of tons of people. It gets fewer as you go up. So which ****ing leaders?
That is a great point.

Unfortunately, the capitol police reporting structure is a bit vague. They have a chief, and above that the sergeants at arms of the house and senate, and an oversight board, and ultimately the leaders of the two houses. The chief, of course, has already fallen on his sword. Pelosi and Schumer are ultimately responsible, but I doubt anyone will take responsibility for the failure.

Who is leadership? Was it the dems who ordered this even though they weren't in control of the government at the time? Whoever this is, they should all be prosecuted.

Capitol police are under the control of Congress, not the Republican administration. The Republican administration offered national guard troops before 1/6 and they turned it down.

Capitol police are under the control of Congress, not the Republican administration. The Republican administration offered national guard troops before 1/6 and they turned it down.

The leader of the Republican administration created and led this insurrection. GOP in congress fomented and pushed for this too.

Dude, even pence called for help. Let me also remind you the house was held by the dems. The senate and the white house were republican controlled. Congress is not the house alone. Who were in the seats of authority in the trump administration, democrats?

That is a great point.

Unfortunately, the capitol police reporting structure is a bit vague. They have a chief, and above that the sergeants at arms of the house and senate, and an oversight board, and ultimately the leaders of the two houses. The chief, of course, has already fallen on his sword. Pelosi and Schumer are ultimately responsible, but I doubt anyone will take responsibility for the failure.
No lie is too big of a lie for some trump supporters to accept. Care to explain why schumer is responsible since mitch was the senate leader at the time?

The evidence is mounting that the 1/06 attacks were an inside job.

Given how widespread the "9/11 was an inside job" CT spread, I don't say that lightly, nor am I ready to outright accept it. But between this, trump's orders to the Capitol police to lay low until Pence himself had to step in, the recon tours of the Capitol led by the likes of MTG, and the panic buttons being ripped out from some Congresspeople's offices...It's plausible that this was an inside job.

Dude, even pence called for help. Let me also remind you the house was held by the dems. The senate and the white house were republican controlled. Congress is not the house alone. Who were in the seats of authority in the trump administration, democrats?

There were massages on right wing web sites that specifically stated trump had taken care of the Capitol police, and the National Guard, it was DC police that would be their only issue...

This was a terrorist attack on our nations Capitol by traitors incited by traitors a d should have been met with lethal force...

There were massages on right wing web sites that specifically stated trump had taken care of the Capitol police, and the National Guard, it was DC police that would be their only issue...

This was a terrorist attack on our nations Capitol by traitors incited by traitors a d should have been met with lethal force...
I can't agree with the lethal force, there would have been many dead for a bullcrap lie. I would like to see the capitol police get them a few water tankers on wheels and fill it with sticky foam so when it dries they are all glued in place.

Republican Adm offered the NG?

You have a link?

One good outcome of this these threads is that people have figured out the difference between Capitol and capital!

Most people, anyway......

I can't agree with the lethal force, there would have been many dead for a bullcrap lie. I would like to see the capitol police get them a few water tankers on wheels and fill it with sticky foam so when it dries they are all glued in place.
Been at riots that water tanks just incited.

This was not a riot, it was an attack on our nations Capitol and when I was in the army we were trained to protect our Capitol.

I strongly feel that mission was a abandoned on that day...

Been at riots that water tanks just incited.

This was not a riot, it was an attack on our nations Capitol and when I was in the army we were trained to protect our Capitol.

I strongly feel that mission was a abandoned on that day...
Somebody or somebodies made sure there wasn't enough protection at the capitol that day. Hell these guys were all over their right wing websites advertising what they were going to do. Am I to believe none of our intelligence agencies noticed?

Back
Top Bottom