• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Capitol Police Are Spying On Members Of Congress And The Americans They Meet

do we have a section for Police State matters? <---comment

Besty Woodruff Swan and Daniel Lippman broke the details this week of a new Capitol Police initiative that involves deep dives into the speech, background, and lifestyle details of who members of Congress are meeting with, including donors, Hill staff, mayors, state legislators, and other Americans exercising their First Amendment right to petition their government.

Personal details on Capitol Hill staff, state legislators, or donors are dispersed to partisans and suddenly leaked at an opportune political moment by some agency conveniently immune to the Freedom of Information Act and subject to limited oversight. After the aggressive leaking, spinning, and shaming that bureaucrats engaged in during the Donald Trump years, we’ve seen what’s possible.

This practice also comes dangerously close to burdening the free exercise of political speech, which includes the right to petition the government “for a redress of grievances” without fear of reprisal.
Why an article about reporting done by Woodruff Swan & Lippman & not the report they wrote?

A group of violent extremists overran our capitol during the certification of a presidential election because they wanted to alter the outcome of that certification.

You can't spin this. Nobody buys it except the people who were already in the cult.
Riiiiiggghhtt. Or the CT cult who's spinning it really really hard for political advantage. Sorry, no sale.

To re-iterate:
The US governance design is so wisely constructed so as even a once considered, and never implemented, presidential executive order to seize voting machines for audit wasn't possible to be executed, being so far outside of the executive branch's actual powers and responsibilities and that no one would do it (wise).

More than likely it's appointed or elected officials struggling to deal with a situation they've never encountered before, brought on by pandemic, late, and often illegal, voting law and regulation changes (i.e. not by the state legislatures),

But do carry on with your 'Sky is falling' or 'Boy Who Cried Wolf' impersonations, if you must.

Besty Woodruff Swan and Daniel Lippman broke the details this week of a new Capitol Police initiative that involves deep dives into the speech, background, and lifestyle details of who members of Congress are meeting with, including donors, Hill staff, mayors, state legislators, and other Americans exercising their First Amendment right to petition their government.

Personal details on Capitol Hill staff, state legislators, or donors are dispersed to partisans and suddenly leaked at an opportune political moment by some agency conveniently immune to the Freedom of Information Act and subject to limited oversight. After the aggressive leaking, spinning, and shaming that bureaucrats engaged in during the Donald Trump years, we’ve seen what’s possible.

This practice also comes dangerously close to burdening the free exercise of political speech, which includes the right to petition the government “for a redress of grievances” without fear of reprisal.

is there a better source for this story than the nutter site The federalist?

also cutting through all the manufactured drama in the article what is the scope of the "deep dive" that isn't public info? . . i didn't see anything listed that wasn't . . .so currently unless im missing something that doesn't concern me. Is there?

Last edited:
700 assholes out of 71,000,000 voters.

No decent American voter approved of what happened on Jan 6 and you ****ing know it.
What kind of dumbass shit is this? Are you claiming there were 71000000 people at the Capitol?

We are turning into one big police state in my opinion. We have no privacy, we're on camera everywhere we go, our phones and computers go straight to the nsa and we're on the verge of burning books by the book police. What's not to like?
Agreed.

I agree with what you posted, but your timeline is way off.

Democrats have been labeling all those who disagree with them as "terrorists" since at least 2009.

All it means whenever someone is labeled a "racist, white supremacist, homophobic, transphobic, xenophobic, misogynist, terrorist" by leftists is that they disagree with their point of view. Since the totalitarian left cannot tolerate any disagreement of any kind, anyone who does disagree with the perversions of leftist filth are the most vile things the left can possibly imagine. It is a symptom of their psychosis.

Riiiiiggghhtt. Or the CT cult who's spinning it really really hard for political advantage. Sorry, no sale.

Oh really because you immediately try and redirect to something else, proving my point.
To re-iterate:
The US governance design is so wisely constructed so as even a once considered, and never implemented, presidential executive order to seize voting machines for audit wasn't possible to be executed, being so far outside of the executive branch's actual powers and responsibilities and that no one would do it (wise).

More than likely it's appointed or elected officials struggling to deal with a situation they've never encountered before, brought on by pandemic, late, and often illegal, voting law and regulation changes (i.e. not by the state legislatures),

But do carry on with your 'Sky is falling' or 'Boy Who Cried Wolf' impersonations, if you must.

More corrupt political use of government power.

When will people stop accepting this from their elected representatives?

Oh really because you immediately try and redirect to something else, proving my point.
It actually was a direct refute of post, but you simply so ensconced, in whatever it is, to realize it.

What part of: "Riiiiiggghhtt. Or the CT cult who's spinning it really really hard for political advantage. Sorry, no sale."

is so hard for you to understand?

I read the piece:
- another unique use of the term "spying" first uttered by Donald Trump and adopted by his acolytes.
- are you suggesting that the Capitol Police such as they are can "uncover" more material than is commonly available to any Law Enforcement Agency or even anybody with a decent search engine, used to doing research? That will be the day.
- again, such as they are, are they not responsible for security at the Capital?

It actually was a direct refute of post, but you simply so ensconced, in whatever it is, to realize it.

What part of: "Riiiiiggghhtt. Or the CT cult who's spinning it really really hard for political advantage. Sorry, no sale."

is so hard for you to understand?
Because it's nonsense. That's why

I read the piece:
- another unique use of the term "spying" first uttered by Donald Trump and adopted by his acolytes.
- are you suggesting that the Capitol Police such as they are can "uncover" more material than is commonly available to any Law Enforcement Agency or even anybody with a decent search engine, used to doing research? That will be the day.
- again, such as they are, are they not responsible for security at the Capital?
what is there to discover? are you looking for a conspiracy between Congresspeople and their patrons?

They are responsible for security on the premise, they are not there to do deep background checks on a
RIGHT TO ADDRESS GRIEVENCES without any probable cause!

I hope they're really homing in on any trumpturds in Congress.
The Enemy within.
*sends chill up my spine* so you are saying anyone in Congress that supports/supported Trump is an enemy of the state?
Thats' like 75 million people you are damning without any probable cause

Considering the recent actions of several Republicans in Congress this seems more than justified.
like what actions? Ignoring a subpoena? and without any probable cause?

Yeah, don't those losers know everyone ends up trying to murder congress and destroy American democracy after a good kegger? Sheesh. Buzkills.
So now it wasn't even a kegger? The new story is now that a document was filed on january 6th, that's all?
speak English

This is bad and I don't support it at all, but that's because I actually care about privacy. Maybe the GOP shouldn't have overwhelmingly voted in favor of The Patriot Act if they didn't want this shit used on them.

Regular Americans RIGHT NOW have their data scooped up in mass surveillance. If your data travels outside of the country, the they don't even need a warrant to view all of it.

Every message you've ever sent on any "private" messenger or email to someone outside the US can be viewed by the state without any reasonable suspicion. Every call you make, photo you take, purchase you make, walk you go on, friends you meet with...can all easily be accessed by the government.

So why are you selectively outraged about this when millions of Americans have their constitutional rights infringed on every day?
I completely agree with you on the Surveillance State and the Patriot act abuses - but they aren't all Republicans either
This is just more egregious but both warrantless searches without probable cause are clear BORight violations

700 assholes out of 71,000,000 voters.

No decent American voter approved of what happened on Jan 6 and you ****ing know it.
...other than Trump who reportedly watched it gleefully for hours when it was underway.

Then again, you said 'no decent American voter' so I guess doesn't fit that bill.

The moment I saw the source, ignored.

Do you honestly believe the police should not do their job?

WTF is with the posts in the GQP world.

Do you honestly believe the police should not do their job?
WTF is with the posts in the GQP world.
This isn't just security searches of bags or exigent threats..from the OP:

Capitol Police initiative that involves deep dives into the speech, background, and lifestyle details of who members of Congress are meeting with, including donors, Hill staff, mayors, state legislators, and other Americans exercising their First Amendment right to petition their government.

Back
Top Bottom