• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Capitol Hill employees owed $9.3 million in back taxes last year, data show

Ockham

Noblesse oblige
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
Washington Post said:
By T.W. Farnam
Washington Post Staff Writer
Thursday, September 9, 2010; 6:28 PM

Capitol Hill employees owed $9.3 million in overdue taxes at the end of last year, a sliver of the $1 billion owed by federal workers nationwide but one with potential political ramifications for members of Congress.

The debt among Hill employees has risen at a faster rate than the overall tax debt on the government's books, according to Internal Revenue Service data. It comes at a time when some Republican members are pushing for the firings of government workers who owe the IRS and President Obama has urged a crackdown on delinquent government contractors.

The IRS information does not identify delinquent taxpayers by name, party affiliation or job title and does not indicate whether members of Congress are among the scofflaws. It shows that 638 employees, or about 4 percent, of the 18,000 Hill workers owe money.

The average unpaid tax bill is $12,787 among the Senate's delinquent taxpayers and $15,498 among those working in the House. LINK

And these are the people we vote for and expect to help us ... when they cannot even take care of their own affairs? A total of $1 billion dollars of owed taxes by federal employees nationwide.

Let's try to act shocked at this, even though it's par for the course within the context of the over all picture of our society.

"The average unpaid tax bill is $12,787 among the Senate's delinquent taxpayers and $15,498 among those working in the House."

Jeez how much do these people get paid in the first place??

Timothy Geithner doesn't look so bad now.

the bigwig boss of gm, govt motors, just got 9 mil

New GM CEO's pay package worth $9 million - Yahoo! News

capitol hill staffers owe 9.3, per op

in pelosi's place, 421 are delinquent 6.5 mil

upstairs in reid's roundhouse, 217 are short another 2.7

following tax cheat in chief geithner's greedy example, 1200 treasury employees attempted to pocket 7.6 mil

at labor, where hilda solis' esposo is a known pilferer, 463 employees shortchanged uncle sam by 7.4

81 folks in the fed filched 1,000,000

at doj, so busy suing arizona, trying to move ksm to manhattan and prosecuting low levelers at langley, 1971 agents absconded 14.4 mil

at dhs, where nutty napolitano said the system worked when airplane passengers put out the sparks in mutallab's pants, 4850 scanners scooted off with 37 million dollars

in sum, fed employees are delinquent for almost 1 bil

Federal Employees Owe IRS Back Taxes - ABC News

FORTY ONE OBAMA STAFFERS followed the lucre to the tune of 831k

meanwhile:

Federal workers earning double their private counterparts - USATODAY.com

we're witnessing the chicago-ization of washington, all completely predictable

Let's try to act shocked at this, even though it's par for the course within the context of the over all picture of our society.

I'm really trying to be shocked I swear.

:shock: How was that?

I'm really trying to be shocked I swear.

This was me when I got my retroactive State tax bill this year ala prop 66 and 67....

thcat.jpg

You can use it if you'd like until you get your own.

"The average unpaid tax bill is $12,787 among the Senate's delinquent taxpayers and $15,498 among those working in the House."

Jeez how much do these people get paid in the first place??

Here's your answer: Federal workers earning double their private counterparts - USATODAY.com
Federal civil servants earned average pay and benefits of $123,049 in 2009 while private workers made $61,051 in total compensation, according to the Bureau of Economic Analysis. The data are the latest available.

Open Left:: Christine O'Donnell's BOYFRIEND???
~snip
O'Donnell was also having trouble paying her mortgage, according to the lawsuit filed by the mortgage holder on March 5, 2008. The mortgage company secured a default judgment against O'Donnell for $90,421.31 on May 13, 2008.
A sheriff's sale date was set for Aug. 1, 2008, in the heat of O'Donnell's campaign against Biden, who was about to join Obama's presidential ticket.

But a month before the sheriff's auction, O'Donnell sold the house at 518 N. Lincoln Street for $135,000 to Brent Vasher, who was working as legal counsel for her Senate campaign.

O'Donnell said she sold it to Vasher, who was her boyfriend at the time, with the intention of buying it back.

"I had every intention of buying it back, eventually, even as of this fall I wanted to buy it back," she said. "I chose to run for office instead."

Vasher, an attorney at SEI Financial in Oaks, Pa., declined to comment for this article.

O'Donnell said she was not aware of the mortgage company lawsuit and that she never received a notice of foreclosure.

She said she used the money raised by selling the house to pay off a home equity loan.

"I sold the house to Brent," she said. "I got out of debt so I could financially run for office and that's why I chose not to buy it again this fall."

Continues to rent

O'Donnell continued to live in the Lincoln town house until the summer of 2009, paying rent to Vasher, she said.

Next-door neighbor Kathleen Benedetto, 51, said O'Donnell arrived at the house one day last summer and couldn't get in. Benedetto said the locks had been changed. Neither O'Donnell nor Vasher would confirm why O'Donnell moved out.

"I told her she was a day late and a dollar short," Benedetto said.

Benedetto said it was miserable living next door to O'Donnell for five years. She said Vasher gutted the home, removing piles of trash after taking possession.

Wilmington city records detail several complaints about the upkeep of the house while O'Donnell lived there.

In September 2008, she was ticketed for high grass and weeds, according to city records. The ticket was appealed and later paid. The ticket was a result of a complaint that the high grass was providing a breeding ground for opossums, according to Wilmington spokesman John Rago.

O'Donnell said the ticket was issued in the middle of the campaign season while she was busy running for office.

Benedetto said the opossums were getting into her own backyard and that the high grass also coincided with a mice infestation in several row homes. She said her house cat killed about a dozen mice that summer.

O'Donnell blamed neighbors for feeding the opossums, but refused to say which neighbors.

During the summer of 2009, O'Donnell moved out of the Lincoln residence and in with a friend, O'Donnell said. Three months later, she moved to Greenville Place. She said she consulted an attorney about using campaign money to help pay the rent.

"If there is anything questionable, it is not our intent to break a law," O'Donnell said. "I do try to do what's right."
:spin:

Back
Top Bottom