• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Capitol Cop Aquitted of All Charges for Killing Babbitt

No thanks. And you know what I said is the truth.

Except it very much isn’t. Ashli Babbitt was part of a concentrated effort to overthrow the legitimately elected president of the United States by force of arms. The Trump cult is lucky more of them weren’t killed.

Holy ****, this article was a year old! Damn, that's weak.

Except it very much isn’t. Ashli Babbitt was part of a concentrated effort to overthrow the legitimately elected president of the United States by force of arms. The Trump cult is lucky more of them weren’t killed.
Force of arms? How many guns were there?
Having said that, I don't agree with the capitol rioters actions on Jan. 6, nor do I agree with Trump's claim that the election was stolen.

My main interest in this case is that protesters should be treated in a consistent manner, not according to which cause you agree with. Would it be okay for cops to shoot unarmed Antifa and BLM rioters? I doubt it.

How many other people were "impeding an official government proceeding" that day? There must have been dozens shot that day. I didn't know that crime was punishable by death.

How many other people in the last 30 years was murdered when they impeded an official government proceeding?
Isn't a school board hearing an official government proceeding? How many were shot?
How much disruption during the Kavanaugh hearings? Anyone shot?
How many shot when rioters were trying to burn down a federal building in Portland?
Your questions are irrelevant. She took the risk she lost. It's not the cops fault she was a total idiot.

Then you have not been paying attention. Do you think Ms. Babbitt should have just compiled?
I think she played a stupid game and won a stupid prize. Especially considering what she did in the military.

Having said that, I don't agree with the capitol rioters actions on Jan. 6, nor do I agree with Trump's claim that the election was stolen.

My main interest in this case is that protesters should be treated in a consistent manner, not according to which cause you agree with. Would it be okay for cops to shoot unarmed Antifa and BLM rioters? I doubt it.
Silly question. How many BLM protesters were violently attacking our capitol, with legislators huddled nearby? Trying to advance thru a secured door/window with a gun pointed at them by security. And no way of knowing if they are armed?

Your questions are irrelevant. She took the risk she lost. It's not the cops fault she was a total idiot.
I'm sure you take the same view when a police officer shots a criminal during a fight or when the criminal grabs for a knife or when the criminal takes the cops taser? Right hypocrite.

The rampaging thugs were screaming about murdering the Vice President of the United States and were explicitly there to overthrow the legitimately elected president of the United States. Once again, the Trump cult is VERY lucky more of them weren’t killed, and conservatives pouting and blubbering “but Antifa” is pathetic.

I'm sure you take the same view when a police officer shots a criminal during a fight or when the criminal grabs for a knife or when the criminal takes the cops taser? Right hypocrite.
Hmm.

Lets look at the following scenarios:

1. Capital cop shoots woman during riot. She was breaking the law - you call it murder.

2. Kyle Rittenhouse kills two people breaking the law during a riot. - you call that, "self defense".

I'm not going to name call, but I think it's pretty clear above what's happening here.

1. Capital cop shoots woman during riot. She was breaking the law - you call it murder.

2. Kyle Rittenhouse kills two people breaking the law during a riot. - you call that, "self defense".

I'm not going to name call, but I think it's pretty clear above what's happening here.

Same set of facts- - LOL

Capital cop is a professional trained law enforcer. He should know better to shot an unarmed women. Over 100 nights of rioting in Portland. Who got shot by police?

Rittenhouse did not kill anyone for breaking the law, Dah.
One guy was pointing a gun at his head and the other attacked him after threating to kill him.

Ryan Balch, a former Army infantryman testified that Rosenbaum was “hyperaggressive and acting out in a violent manner,” including trying to set fires and throwing rocks.
Richie McGinniss, who was recording events on a cellphone that night testified that Joseph Rosenbaum, the first man shot that night, was killed after chasing down Rittenhouse and making a lunge for the gun.

Your analysis is laughable.

Same set of facts- - LOL

Capital cop is a professional trained law enforcer. He should know better to shot an unarmed women. Over 100 nights of rioting in Portland. Who got shot by police?

One guy was pointing a gun at his head and the other attacked him after threating to kill him.

Ryan Balch, a former Army infantryman testified that Rosenbaum was “hyperaggressive and acting out in a violent manner,” including trying to set fires and throwing rocks.
Richie McGinniss, who was recording events on a cellphone that night testified that Joseph Rosenbaum, the first man shot that night, was killed after chasing down Rittenhouse and making a lunge for the gun.

You can try to parse all you want. I will argue the cop shot Babbitt because she was breaking the law. You just exposed your rank hypocrisy and it only took me two post to make you do it. According to you:

BLM rioters murdered - Great!

1/6 Rioter killed - Kill the cop who did it, even though she was committing treason, she's a trump soldier so she's one of you.

Your moral compass needs tune-up.

Last edited:
Too bad Babbit wasn't a minority so we could've seen the Justice Brothers get involved. Jessie and Al I mean.

Wonder where this thought came from?

Same set of facts- - LOL

How was he supposed to know she was unarmed?

You can try to parse all you want. I will argue the cop shot Babbitt because she was breaking the law. You just exposed your rank hypocrisy and it only took me two post to make you do it. According to you:

Ms. Babbitt was not shot for breaking the law, that is not a standard for the use of deadly force.

Ms. Babbitt presented a clear and present danger of death or serious bodily injury to the law enforcement officer or others through her actions and as such self-defense and the defense of others facing a violent mob was the justification.

WW

How was he supposed to know she was unarmed?

Whether she was armed or not as determined after the fact isn't relevant to the justifiability of the shooting. The mob had presented clear evidence of the willingness to used improvised melee weapons in a violent way. A fact that Lt. Byrd had heard over the police radio communications and observed directly as they broke through and breached the law enforcement barricade.

WW

Ms. Babbitt was not shot for breaking the law, that is not a standard for the use of deadly force.

Ms. Babbitt presented a clear and present danger of death or serious bodily injury to the law enforcement officer or others through her actions and as such self-defense and the defense of others facing a violent mob was the justification.

WW
She was comitting a crime. She was comitting treason. She was shot during the commission of a crime. Republicans should be saying, "great, she got what she deserved". But since Republicans are all cynical, evil ****s, they blame the cop.

That's been my point through this whole thread. It's not the cops fault she's dead. It's hers, and no one elses. Lets stick to the subject, I don't care about your technical, legal opinion.

Wrong again! When Garland is gone no one will protect him.

A Metro PD Internal Affairs Division report indicates that the Internal Affairs Division interviewed Lt. Michael Byrd and another United States Capitol Police officer (whose name is withheld), on January 6, 2021, at 7:38 p.m. and the interview was recorded. The investigators note that Byrd, on duty that day since 7:00 a.m., was only equipped with his service weapon, but no ASP (telescoping baton) or OC (pepper spray). He’d last qualified on the shooting range on October 22, 2020. The report notes, “Lieutenant Byrd declined to provide a statement until he can consult an attorney.” The interviewing agent asked Byrd to have his attorney contact him.

Sergeant [redacted] observed a white, female protester was climbing through an opened area where the glass pane had been knocked out. He heard a gunshot and this female fell backwards through the opening. The crowd on the other side of the barricaded east doors, began to step back and some put their hands in the air. Sergeant [redacted] observed Lieutenant Byrd step back just after hearing the gunshot. He did not see anything in the female protester’s hands prior to the gunshot.

The interviewer asks the sergeant if he saw anything in the woman’s hands as she was climbing through the window, and he replies, “I didn’t see anything in her hands now.” Asked when he realized Byrd shot the woman, the sergeant replied, “I said, what, you know? And then he was like, I was the one who took the shot and I was like …” Speaking of Byrd’s reaction the sergeant said, “No, his eyes were red. He was, you could see he was visibly upset and he just, you know, kind of comfort him and told him, you know, we gotta get outta here.” The interviewing agent asked the sergeant about Babbitt being shot, “Did you go up to her [?].” He replied, “No, no, no. I maintained my position.”

In a January 6, 2021, summary report of an interview of another United States Capitol Police officer by the Internal Affairs Division investigator, the interviewee, who was immediately behind Byrd in the Speaker’s Lobby when Byrd shot Babbitt, said “He did not see Ms. McEntee [Babbitt] in possession of any potential weapons.” The report continued, “He reiterated that he did not observe that she was armed.” The United States Capitol Police officer claimed that “Lieutenant Byrd was shaking, he did not say anything…. Byrd was nervous, teary-eyed, and appeared very upset. His voice also shaky when he called for medical assistance over the radio. Lieutenant Byrd was still very upset.”

Why the emphasis on not knowing if she had a weapon?

He didn't attend to her because she was on the other side of a barrier, another LEO was on site, and he maintained his assigned protective position.

Are you surprised that he was emotionally affected by shooting someone?

Whether she was armed or not as determined after the fact isn't relevant to the justifiability of the shooting. The mob had presented clear evidence of the willingness to used improvised melee weapons in a violent way. A fact that Lt. Byrd had heard over the police radio communications and observed directly as they broke through and breached the law enforcement barricade.

WW
I agree. She put herself in danger by climbing through the door...no weapon needed.

Whether she was armed or not as determined after the fact isn't relevant to the justifiability of the shooting. The mob had presented clear evidence of the willingness to used improvised melee weapons in a violent way.
If that is the standard, why aren't all rioters mowed down by gunfire?

"A U.S. Capitol Police officer has been cleared of criminal wrongdoing for fatally shooting Air Force veteran Ashli Babbitt as she attempted to breach a set of doors deep in the Capitol during the January siege, federal prosecutors in D.C. announced Wednesday.

Authorities determined that there was insufficient evidence to prove Babbitt’s civil rights were violated, and that it was reasonable for the officer to believe he was firing in self-defense or in defense of members of Congress and aides who were fleeing the House chamber. Prosecutors did not identify the officer."

Good. If Biden was an evil troll like Trump is - Biden would give award the officer the Congressional Medal of Freedom for bravery. The cop was just doing his job - but this, again, shows how evil Republicans are. trump awarded the damn thing to Limbaugh, another troll.
April 2021? OK.

BLM rioters murdered - Great!

1/6 Rioter killed - Kill the cop who did it, even though she was committing treason, she's a trump soldier so she's one of you.

Your moral compass needs tune-up.
LOL
Can't wait to see your next post demonizing the white cop who had to shot a black man when he reached for a gun or knife.

LOL
Can't wait to see your next post demonizing the white cop who had to shot a black man when he reached for a gun or knife.
Mmmm.. .hmm. Nice try.

Back
Top Bottom