• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Can't have an abortion until you take a three-hour class on adoption [W:534]

while it strikes me as a stupid law, the idea of comparing it to physical torture, or raising it above "stupid requirement" does little better

Maybe I should have said /hyperbolic sarcasm.

But the tactic is to throw up roadblock after roadblock. Make it harder and harder, more and more expensive, more traumatic.

Almost all by state force at public expense by those who most frequently advocate AGAINST state force and taxes.

Its annoying.

It could be that they genuinely oppose abortion-on-demand. It also could be that, as representatives, they are voting the way a majority of their constituents want them to.

Meanwhile, Davis certainly had the national attention and momentum to rally the troops and perhaps save the three Texas PP clinics closed Thursday. Why didn't she?

It could be they are not voting for the majority.

Maybe I should have said /hyperbolic sarcasm.

But the tactic is to throw up roadblock after roadblock. Make it harder and harder, more and more expensive, more traumatic.

Almost all by state force at public expense by those who most frequently advocate AGAINST state force and taxes.

Its annoying.

fair enough

I agree that giving them information about adoption is fine, but a mandatory 3 hour adoption propaganda/preaching session with a mandatory completion certificate is nonsense.

I will say that 2 hours mandatory counselling in which the free choice for adoption and the existence of alternative options are discussed is more than enough IMHO and the rest is just harassing of women who want to have an abortion. Most women will have made their mind up long before they go to the abortion hospital and will have thought about all other options for some time before having made the choice for the abortion.

Why not educate women on that possibility and give them a path to make it happen??

Having the option is one thing, but using big government to force them to take the class, sorry I can't be behind that.

http://www.valleycentral.com/uploadedfiles/kgbt/news/stories/sb42.pdf

From a democrat pro-birther, this time.

I am now ready to conclude that every person elected to office promptly loses their ****ing mind.

Okay - now that does go too far. I was okay with the 'have a sonogram ahead of time' or 'wait two weeks, no walk-ins welcome' approach . . . but 'sit in this class for a few hours before having a medical procedure' is ridiculous.

I can just see me in that situation: "Here, mom with four kids with health issues, sit down and we'll drone on for 3 hours when you're pregnant with your 5th" - I don't think so. I'm not a child.

. . and what about women who aren't going to have an abortion or adopt - but, instead, plan on being mothers at the age of 17 before they get to college and are able to support their child? Are they going to give a flying poo, then? (Naturally - no - they don't care about quality of life, here). What about the guys, are they going to hunt them down and put them in a class that goes 'here's how to be a decent human being and not treat your pregnant girlfriend like crap.'

Are they going to force school time on people facing cancer and 'do we put momma in a home now, or pay for a day-nurse' too - I mean . . .seriously? :roll:

We are not broodmares for the barren. And pretty well everyone knows that adoption is an option. I don't support it, so I don't support promoting it, but it's the woman's choice.

What a crappy attitude. Greasing the wheels for those who might consider adoption is a humane thing to do. Your way? "Yeah, you can adopt. Go figure it out for yourself." Sucks. Let women make a choice coming from full information; not rumor, innuendo and he-said/she-said. You have a problem with that perspective?

What a crappy attitude. Greasing the wheels for those who might consider adoption is a humane thing to do. Your way? "Yeah, you can adopt. Go figure it out for yourself." Sucks. Let women make a choice coming from full information; not rumor, innuendo and he-said/she-said. You have a problem with that perspective?

while I can appreciate your point, my problem would be requiring the class, as opposed to offering it as an optional service.

Texas needs more women like Sen. Wendy Davis

So you hate my state and want it to have more Strom Thurmond-esque hateful bigots promoting needless killing of the innocent?

No thanks; that awful wretch herself will be out of a job soon enough.

I have a huge frickin' problem with govt. mandating 'classes' on adoption. Like I said, everyone knows of the option, if a woman wants to do that, she can seek out the information. Women not interested in that option should not be forced to sit through 3 hours of bullcrap anti choice propaganda.

BTW, I don't give a flying fig what you or your ilk think of my attitude. My attitude is just fine, according to me, and that is all that matters.

Now, you can stop the insults as I have not thrown any at you.

I don't get it. Most of my family is female. Lots of aunts, cousins and sisters. All highly intelligent. As is my wife. That is the norm in my life. So I can't help wondering - just who are all these stupid women you guys seem to think don't know about adoption?

I don't get it. Most of my family is female. Lots of aunts, cousins and sisters. All highly intelligent. As is my wife. That is the norm in my life. So I can't help wondering - just who are all these stupid women you guys seem to think don't know about adoption?

being aware that adoption is an option is a bit different than knowing the ins and outs of the adoption process

Want a Gun? Take a class.
Want Free Speech? Take a class.
Want to Vote? Take a class.

We could have some fun with this actually. If there is always a fee, and the state gets paid, watch out boys for soon you'll be paying for Spankin' the Monkey 101.

So to clarify, you don't support the three hour class on adoption for anyone. Why not just say that to begin with instead of singling out rape victims. Anyone who thinks abortion should be a legal choice for all instances needs to stop exploiting the tragedy of rape victims. It is disgusting and intellectually dishonest.

You're talking about a movement which advocates and defends the needless killing of innocent children. Nobody with a conscience could ever support this practice if they truly understood the significance of it. Only through intellectual dishonesty can this practice ever be defended.

You're talking about a movement which advocates and defends the needless killing of innocent children. Nobody with a conscience could ever support this practice if they truly understood the significance of it. Only through intellectual dishonesty can this practice ever be defended.
You would be incorrect, obviously.

A fee for "Spankin' the Monkey 101" ?
I do believe we could retire the national debt in no time :lamo

Honestly I have yet to meet a woman that has fond memories of her choice to 'terminate' her pregnancy Have you ever encountered one?
My Mom swore back in 1970 when some dudes in blacks robes decided for the country that murdering unborn children was a kool thing
that this debate would rage on for decades to come. Heck now we even have to say that an abortion after the 20th week prolly isn't such a bright idea?
I know that the DnC is here to stay but c'mon will this issue ever be resolved? (oh of course not you silly ;) )

Want a Gun? Take a class.
Want Free Speech? Take a class.
Want to Vote? Take a class.

Those are all constitutional rights. Unlike abortion.

Those are all constitutional rights. Unlike abortion.
Abortion is Constitutional. See Roe Versus Wade. They have decided a lot of cases on guns and voting as well. Read up.

Last edited:
A fee for "Spankin' the Monkey 101" ?
I do believe we could retire the national debt in no time :lamo

Honestly I have yet to meet a woman that has fond memories of her choice to 'terminate' her pregnancy Have you ever encountered one?
Fond? No. Justified at the time, but not without regrets, many. And so it goes.

Abortion is Constitutional.
hawt dang fer ya know it they'll find a right for us to pay for Sandra Fluke's birth control pills in that thar Constitution?
no wait guess the living breathing document already managed that miracle too eh there lil buddy?
Dang I wunder what other magic tricks that dusty old document has left up it's sleeve?

Abortion is Constitutional.

Well, I can read a plain English document, and here's some insight; yeah, abortion is permitted. So is banning it. The Constitution doesn't say anything, not word one, about abortion.

The Constitution certainly never declares abortion a right... unlike voting, unlike keeping and bearing arms, unlike speech unabridged by any law of Congress.

hah Jay I'm thinkin' you may be on too somethin' there
I never did see the Amendment that was added which made it a right ;)
or was it just another case of legislation from the bench Kinda like 'healthcare' ?

hawt dang fer ya know it they'll find a right for us to pay for Sandra Fluke's birth control pills in that thar Constitution?
no wait guess the living breathing document already managed that miracle too eh there lil buddy?
Dang I wunder what other magic tricks that dusty old document has left up it's sleeve?
We have a method of figuring out what is Constitutional in this country "old man". It isn't typing a word in the Search box at Constitution.com and seeing if it shows up? Sorry.

hah Jay I'm thinkin' you may be on too somethin' there
I never did see the Amendment that was added which made it a right ;)
or was it just another case of legislation from the bench Kinda like 'healthcare' ?

It's kinda like this kiddos:

You have the right to remain silent when questioned.
Anything you say or do may be used against you in a court of law.
You have the right to consult an attorney before speaking to the police and to have an attorney present during questioning now or in the future.
If you cannot afford an attorney, one will be appointed for you before any questioning, if you wish.
If you decide to answer any questions now, without an attorney present, you will still have the right to stop answering at any time until you talk to an attorney.
Knowing and understanding your rights as I have explained them to you, are you willing to answer my questions without an attorney present?

And the funny thing, to use the above Right to Remain Silent, you have to say so. That's Constitutional now. How about that eh?

Three kinds of folks that you never ever benefit from interacting with:
Cops
Lawyers &
doctors

there sure as heck isn't any upside from a visit to an abortion clinic :mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom