• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Candidate busted for faking Morgan Freeman’s voice in ad

justabubba

long standing member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
is this a trend or minor legal fodder?
Candidate busted for faking Morgan Freeman’s voice in ad | Raw Story
Lawson for Congress Confirms Morgan Freeman Narration in Latest TV and Radio Ad
Lawson for Congress Confirms Morgan Freeman Narration in Latest TV and Radio... -- CARY, N.C., Nov. 1, 2010 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ --
... In a statement, Freeman quickly denied making the ad or supporting Lawson.

"These people are lying," Freeman wrote. "I have never recorded any campaign ads for B.J. Lawson and I do not support his candidacy. And, no one who represents me ever has ever authorized the use of my name, voice or any other likeness in support of Mr. Lawson or his candidacy." ...
but what did the candidate's media contractor have to say?:
In their statement, MEI Political said that Lawson should have known better.

"Both verbally and in writing, we made it clear to the Lawson campaign that this is not Morgan Freeman, but instead it is Mr. Freeman’s voice double. We also informed the campaign that even though the ad was similar to Morgan Freeman in style or tone, the campaign should not represent it as the actor Morgan Freeman or as an endorsement by Mr. Freeman. In a phone conversation with Mr. Lawson, we further discussed the fact that the actor Morgan Freeman is Democrat and would probably never do an endorsement ad for a Republican Congressional campaign," wrote Benjamin Mathis.
but then look at the contract to "... prepare one Morgan Freeman radio commercial" by MEI: http://www.politico.com/static/PPM186_lawson_document.html
especially look at item #5 which asserts that the contract is binding and no oral representations which differ from the written contract can be found valid
here is what MEI insists the republican congressional candidate knew: UPDATED: E-mail: Lawson was told of 'voice double' - Ben Smith - POLITICO.com

so, is this a situation where the contractor takes one for the team, to appear to give temporary license to the republican candidate? recall the many times mccain used popular songs without the authorization of the song owners when he was running for office two years ago
is this the next, wiley step of the republican campaign machine .... or was the candidate actually duped

hope Morgan Freeman takes this to court so that we can see how it plays out

The change of the world currency from the dollar back to the Gold Standard Gee sorry my crystal ball is in the shop.

Back
Top Bottom