• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Cancer is "purely man-made"

The older you are, the longer you have been exposed to carcinogens and the longer the chance for cells to become cancerous.

The people in the record books for the oldest ages mostly died of cardiovascular related issues. Hearts get tired eventually.

It's still incorrect to say that age = cancer, when it is carcinogens that = cancer. Fewer carcinogens, lesser exposure. The distinction is subtle but important.

If it's a disease that has to do with age, what about toddlers that get cancer?

Yes, that really makes a lot of sense, because perhaps 1 in 500,000 toddlers get cancer, while one in three elderly people get it.
Honestly, how old are you? :roll:

It isn't about age. I never claimed it was.

You said that the longer you live, the higher your chance of getting cancer... but as you just stated in the previous post, it is about build up of carcinogens. So it is the carcinogens that create the cancerous situation, not your age in of itself.

The problem continues to be modern lifestyle and contamination factors.

The people in the record books for the oldest ages mostly died of cardiovascular related issues. Hearts get tired eventually.

It's still incorrect to say that age = cancer, when it is carcinogens that = cancer. Fewer carcinogens, lesser exposure. The distinction is subtle but important.

I didn't say that age=cancer. It's not so simple to say that carcinogens always cause cancer either. A genetic predispostion may play a part in why children get cancer. Carcinogens increase the risk for cancer. Some smokers get lung cancer, some don't. Lance Armstrong didn't smoke yet he still got it. But as I initially stated, if you live long enough (something else doesn't kill you), then you will most likely get cancer. Look up the instances of cancer per capita for each age demographic.

You said that the longer you live, the higher your chance of getting cancer... but as you just stated in the previous post, it is about build up of carcinogens. So it is the carcinogens that create the cancerous situation, not your age in of itself.

The problem continues to be modern lifestyle and contamination factors.

Should pediatritians be doing regular prostate exams? I never said age was the cause. You read that into my statement.

I didn't say that age=cancer. It's not so simple to say that carcinogens always cause cancer either. A genetic predispostion may play a part in why children get cancer. Carcinogens increase the risk for cancer. Some smokers get lung cancer, some don't. Lance Armstrong didn't smoke yet he still got it. But as I initially stated, if you live long enough (something else doesn't kill you), then you will most likely get cancer. Look up the instances of cancer per capita for each age demographic.

Yes but the demographics are not talking about the increase in aggravating risk factors in older age demographics, are they? Because that's what you have to look at. If people could live in a pre-industial environment again with adequate life resources they would probably still die of heart failure before anything else.

I should've directed that to digsbe.

I've always wondered how a 3 year old can have this raging disease in their body that usually happens when you're decades older. It's so sad. :(

Yes but the demographics are not talking about the increase in aggravating risk factors in older age demographics, are they? Because that's what you have to look at. If people could live in a pre-industial environment again with adequate life resources they would probably still die of heart failure before anything else.

That would be because of lack of dental care and the increased risk of heart disease that comes with rotting teeth (except for people who's primary source of protein is fish). ;)

This goes back to my original statement. If you live long enough...

People back then didn't have the means to prevent heart failure that we have now. Since heart failure kills less people in middle age, they get to live longer thus increasing the likelihood that they will get cancer. And no, I'm not saying the cardiovascular care causes cancer.

Cancer 'is purely man-made' say scientists after finding almost no trace of disease in Egyptian mummies | Mail Online

Cancer is a man-made disease fuelled by the excesses of modern life, a study of ancient remains has found.
Tumours were rare until recent times when pollution and poor diet became issues, the review of mummies, fossils and classical literature found.
A greater understanding of its origins could lead to treatments for the disease, which claims more than 150,000 lives a year in the UK.

Let's see, the life expectancy was what then? 35?

It's a disease of age because more time has passed allowing a cell to acquire all the wrong mutations to become cancerous. It can still happen young, but the odds are extremely unlikely. It may also be a genetic mutation in the child. The 2 hit hypothesis is that someone may have a mutated tumor suppressor or proto-oncogene, and therefore it only requires the right mutations on the homologous chromosome in order to have a non-functioning tumor suppressor or an onco-gene. It could also be due to carcinogen exposure in the womb (depending on the life style on the pregnant woman). Cancer isn't only a disease of age, but age is the primary factor because typically it takes many years to acquire the random mutations necessary for 1 out of our millions of cells to become cancerous.

I hope my previous post didn't seem spiteful :) I apologize if it did.

It's a disease of age because more time has passed allowing a cell to acquire all the wrong mutations to become cancerous. It can still happen young, but the odds are extremely unlikely. It may also be a genetic mutation in the child. The 2 hit hypothesis is that someone may have a mutated tumor suppressor or proto-oncogene, and therefore it only requires the right mutations on the homologous chromosome in order to have a non-functioning tumor suppressor or an onco-gene. It could also be due to carcinogen exposure in the womb (depending on the life style on the pregnant woman). Cancer isn't only a disease of age, but age is the primary factor because typically it takes many years to acquire the random mutations necessary for 1 out of our millions of cells to become cancerous.

I hope my previous post didn't seem spiteful :) I apologize if it did.

Not at all. You sound like you know your stuff. :)

Back
Top Bottom