• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Cancel Rents and Mortgages[W:280]

phattonez

Catholic
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
Banks and other finance companies are getting bailed out, why not American workers? Unemployment is going to 30%, yet we're not going to give workers relief from their bills? Just a quick few thousand that will go straight to landlords and banks? Give me a break.

Here's what should be done. Impose nationwide rent control during the emergency. Apply it to mortgages also. Cap how much can be paid by living area. Those living in humble homes should be paying at most a few hundred per month during this crisis. And honestly, just keep it that way. You have people getting wealthy who add nothing to society, who merely have a claim on wealth by owning property. Limit their profits and help those who really need it: workers, not owners.

Our government doesn't take this seriously because it's owned by exploiters, profiteers, and usurers. It's a disgusting system and I'd love to see corona collapse it.

Re: Cancel Rents and Mortgages

Banks and other finance companies are getting bailed out, why not American workers? Unemployment is going to 30%, yet we're not going to give workers relief from their bills? Just a quick few thousand that will go straight to landlords and banks? Give me a break.

Here's what should be done. Impose nationwide rent control during the emergency. Apply it to mortgages also. Cap how much can be paid by living area. Those living in humble homes should be paying at most a few hundred per month during this crisis. And honestly, just keep it that way. You have people getting wealthy who add nothing to society, who merely have a claim on wealth by owning property. Limit their profits and help those who really need it: workers, not owners.

Our government doesn't take this seriously because it's owned by exploiters, profiteers, and usurers. It's a disgusting system and I'd love to see corona collapse it.

Too sensible.

Take a better look before posting. It's already happening in many states. Several different new temporary guidelines, programs, loans, and edicts.

Always playing the victim, eh?

Too sensible.
So sensible that neither party would be willing to do it because they're both owned by usurers.

Take a better look before posting. It's already happening in many states. Several different new temporary guidelines, programs, loans, and edicts.

Always playing the victim, eh?
All that's happening is a temporary moratorium on evictions in some places. Once the emergency passes these people will be kicked to the curb while we continue to sell our land to Chinese oligarchs.

All that's happening is a temporary moratorium on evictions in some places. Once the emergency passes these people will be kicked to the curb while we continue to sell our land to Chinese oligarchs.

Wrong!

Do your research. Try it on a state level basis.

An idea so stupid it’s really not even worth the time to rebut because to even think of this you have to be totally ignorant of how economics works to begin with.

An idea so stupid it’s really not even worth the time to rebut because to even think of this you have to be totally ignorant of how economics works to begin with.
What an insightful economic perspective! Have you considered writing for mises.org?

What if you answer this for me? How does letting Chinese millionaires buy American property and rent it out help Americans?

Landlords are NOT always "rich people" you know.

Back in the day (50's and 60's) I lived in Harlem NY.

One of my Aunt's worked in the garment district, saved her money and bought an old tenement a block away from the apartment where they lived. She and my uncle fixed it up and rented apartments in it. Then they got a second one, and did the same. They were not "millionaires," but people living on the income from rentals.

Lot's of landlords are just like them, smallholder's of a property or two making a living.

When you say "no rent" or "low rent" you are taking the food out of their mouths too.

Housing is not a "civil right" unless you happen to fall into the income brackets for HUD housing.

Meanwhile, small landlords have a right to profit off their investments too.

Last edited:

Landlords are always rich people you know...(Still typing)

Yeah, apparently the landlords are supposed to still maintain their rentals, keep the utilities on, and pay taxes without the agreed upon rent being paid them to provide this

Landlords are always rich people you know...(Still typing)
Why exactly should we continue allowing landlords to charge 50% of a tenant's income for rent, especially during an emergency?

Yeah, apparently the landlords are supposed to still maintain their rentals, keep the utilities on, and pay taxes without the agreed upon rent being paid them to provide this
Here's an idea: if you're losing money then sell the property!

And I notice you still haven't answered my question.

One of my Aunt's worked in the garment district, saved her money and bought an old tenement a block away from where they lived. She and my uncle fixed it up and rented apartments in it. Then they got a second one, and did the same. They were not "millionaires," but people living on the income from rentals.

Lot's of landlords are just like them, smallholder's of a property or two making a living.

When you say "no rent" you are taking the food out of their mouths too.

Housing is not a "civil right" unless you happen to fall into the income brackets for HUD housing.

Why exactly should renters be paying the landlord's mortgage (and then some) without getting any equity?

Why exactly should we continue allowing landlords to charge 50% of a tenant's income for rent, especially during an emergency?

What was that old calculation? No more than 25% should go to housing?

If someone is paying 50% of their income on a rental but really can't afford it, then they shouldn't be trying to rent it.

People pay for what they want. If they agree to the contract, that's the contract.

Meanwhile, the landlord has to pay all the property taxes, maintenance, and has to deal with people one hopes won't destroy the property.

Rental property, a house, w/e...those are investments.

And if you want equity? Buy your own property. :shrug:

Last edited:

What was that old calculation? No more than 25% should go to housing?

If someone is paying 50% of their income on a rental but really can't afford it, then they shouldn't be trying to rent it.

People pay for what they want. If they agree to the contract, that's the contract.

Meanwhile, the landlord has to pay all the property taxes, maintenance, and has to deal with people one hopes won't destroy the property.

Rental property, a house, w/e...those are investments.

And if you want equity? Buy your own property. :shrug:
So people who can't afford to buy and can't rent for less than 50%, they can just die? Should decent housing be something only the rich can afford?

So people who can't afford to buy and can't rent for less than 50%, they can just die? Should decent housing be something only the rich can afford?

Really? You really think there are NO housing options if one actually looks?

In the first place, we DO have HUD housing programs of various types for those who qualify.

In the second place, if one looks one can find all sorts of "bargains." I've done that most of my life, from when I was old enough to work and live on my own.

They may not be one's "dream home," but they aren't sewers either. The only requirement? Face reality and find a place within one's means to live.

Having said that, I recognize rents have been going up just like inflation which has been devaluing wages.

IMO we need real monetary policy to fight runaway inflation so the dollar has real value again, and THAT would help in more ways than just affordable housing.

Really? You really think there are NO housing options if one actually looks?

In the first place, we DO have HUD housing programs of various types for those who qualify.

In the second place, if one looks one can find all sorts of "bargains." I've done that most of my life, from when I was old enough to work and live on my own.

They may not be one's "dream home," but they aren't sewers either. The only requirement? Face reality and find a place within one's means to live.

Having said that, I recognize rents have been going up just like inflation which has been devaluing wages.

IMO we need real monetary policy to fight runaway inflation so the dollar has real value again, and THAT would help in more ways than just affordable housing.
I really think there aren't. Find me just one decent housing option for a working family in a city that actually has jobs that is just a few hundred dollars per month. One.

One of my Aunt's worked in the garment district, saved her money and bought an old tenement a block away from the apartment where they lived. She and my uncle fixed it up and rented apartments in it. Then they got a second one, and did the same. They were not "millionaires," but people living on the income from rentals.

When you say "no rent" or "low rent" you are taking the food out of their mouths too.

He's been informed many times of the actual realities of being a landlord.

Facts dont matter, he will continue to bitterly believe that landlords just sit back and do nothing and collect $ from 'victims'.

He's been informed many times of the actual realities of being a landlord.

Facts dont matter, he will continue to bitterly believe that landlords just sit back and do nothing and collect $ from 'victims'.
Yeah, it's so terrible and not actually profitable. That's why only poor people do it. Oh wait.

I really think there aren't. Find me just one decent housing option for a working family in a city that actually has jobs that is just a few hundred dollars per month. One.

THere are options:

--Move to where there are jobs...just like humanity has all thru history

--dont have kids until you can afford them. Too late? Oh well, that's no one else's fault

--Develop skills that are in demand and pay a living wage.

THere are options:

--Move to where there are jobs...just like humanity has all thru history

--dont have kids until you can afford them. Too late? Oh well, that's no one else's fault

--Develop skills that are in demand and pay a living wage.

Our young people should just sterilize themselves and have a dog? So passive profits are more important families? What a revolting outlook you have on life. Utterly loathsome, totally repugnant, and completely evil.

Yeah, it's so terrible and not actually profitable. That's why only poor people do it. Oh wait.

I see no counter argument. Your continued denial of reality does not constitute an argument. Nor does your minimization of people being entitled to be smart with their hard-earned money and grow it as they choose.

Well, I used to live in NYC myself.

YES, if you want to live in Lower Manhattan close to where business is done, then there are some areas only the well-off can afford, and most of the places that used to be "rent-controlled" are disappearing.

And even up above 100th street there is a lot of "gentrification" going on.

The last time I lived in NYC, I accepted the fact Manhattan was not affordable. So I found a rental apartment out in Queens. Point being, it was less "convenient" but still affordable.

If you want to live in the swank? Pay the price. If you simply want a place to live while you earn a living, then you can find it.

I see no counter argument. Your continued denial of reality does not constitute an argument. Nor does your minimization of people being entitled to be smart with their hard-earned money and grow it as they choose.
Be productive. Landlords are parasites on those who actually produce wealth. So are usurers.

Back
Top Bottom