• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Cancel culture

RedAkston

Master of Shenanigans
Administrator
Dungeon Master
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
You have 5,000 characters to state your opinion if you choose. The rules of this forum are found here.

If there were such a thing, it would inherently defeat itself. Cancel culture is a strawman that doesn't make sense. The term is nothing more than an excuse for oneself and a claim of victimhood. It's: "I'm an innocent victim."

"They're cancelling racism and they're cancelling sexism! How dare they!"

We dare.

There is no such thing as cancel culture. It’s called “society” and our acceptance of what is right and wrong changes with time. It’s why there are no longer minstrel shows, in example.

It’s okay to produce content that doesn’t dehumanize people. It’s even better, and healthier, that we as a society reject that content of our own accord.

”Cancel Culture” is a conservative catch phrase. If they are held to account, the say that they are being ‘canceled.’

You can't force people to like you.

Gov. Andrew Cuomo is definitely in danger of being canceled for basically for trying a lil slap & giggle. He utterly destroyed these poor women's minds with the question "May I kiss you?"

The nursing home debacle wasn't an act of malice, it was an error in judgment with seriously unseen consequences. But it wasn't until sexual harassment charges that he gets pressured to quit from the Left and Right. I call it "Stupid Culture."

The folks who burned Dixie Chicks merch in the streets, stopped watching NFL when players were kneeling, and are boycotting NASCAR for banning Confederate flags want to caution everyone else against cancel culture.

2f36f4257269ae95ad37420944cb65f8710a1e8e.jpg

;)

It’s a continuation or rebranding of the intellectual and social culture wars of the 1980s and 1990s. In that era, there was a lot of concern about post-structuralism, post-modernism, multiculturalism, and the thing we called “political correctness” (which was meaningfully different from the nods to “political correctness” of the Soviet Union).

The railing against “political correctness” was often a reaction against changing social mores that stressed newer ways to ensure you were not being a jerk to certain people, including those who have been the butt of jokes and oppression for generations. There were excesses, of course. Nevertheless, a big issue was the extent to which conservatives refused to consider the extent to which they themselves applied a form of “political correctness” on themselves and others. What is “forbidden” or taboo to say in conservative circles, and what punishment is delivered to those who step outside the bounds of the social group’s standards? What things make conservatives cry foul, and which things do not?

Some of the lingo has changed (“cancelled,” “woke,”—which itself has had a tremendous change in meaning, from extreme social awareness and borderline conspiracy theorizing, to a mutated version of anything that brings awareness to minorities and racism ) because of internet slang terminology, but it’s essentially the same thing.

It is both something that exists (sometimes justifiably, other times not) and something that is dramatically over-exaggerated in its existence or sustainability, even at the micro level (each specific case).

It has its usefulness in conservative politics so far as the railing against “political correctness” grew stale after a generation. I expect this to have an even shorter shelf-life, given then linguistic reliance on trendy slang. Nevertheless, the arguments will continue to be the same long after we stop calling it “cancel culture.”

Last edited:
Who is the canceler and who is the cancelee?

Matthew 5:22 - But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire.

Georgia's governor is whining and crying about cancel culture as he directs his state to LITERALLY CANCEL the right of "certain people" to vote AND invents the right of Georgia's legislature to LITERALLY CANCEL the ENTIRE vote if they don't like it.

And he even ADMITS it on tape.

SALON:
Kemp admits on tape that law restricting access to voting has "nothing to do with potential fraud"

"A lot of this bill is dealing with the mechanics of the election. It has nothing to do with potential fraud or not."

All "cancel culture" means now is that someone believes racism is good and anti-racism needs to be silenced.

Last edited:
It's an effort to force people to fall into line with the current thinking of today.

It includes bullying, ganging up, and intimidation.

When the left tries to boycott things....I go the opposite direction.

I had never eaten at a Chick Fil A prior to the boycott. I am now a customer.

I never even heard of Goya....until.

Now, I buy it and give it away just to spite the left.

Back
Top Bottom