• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every persons position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Canadians likely to throw out scandal plagued Liberal Government......

Navy Pride

DP Veteran
Joined
Jul 11, 2005
Messages
39,883
Reaction score
3,070
Location
Pacific NW
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Very Conservative

KidRocks

DP Veteran
Joined
Aug 17, 2005
Messages
1,337
Reaction score
16
Location
right here
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Liberal
Navy Pride said:
If this take place expect the recent approval of gay marriage in Canada to be thrown out by the Conservative government......


http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/americas/01/23/canada.election/index.html

Pre-election polls showed the Conservatives with a lead over the scandal-plagued Liberals.

As soon as I get the final results I will post them......


Ya, they are going to elect Conservatives who most likely will shun George Bush, Republicans and America in general!

LOL... and loving it! :lol:
 

Binary_Digit

DP Veteran
Joined
May 21, 2005
Messages
4,145
Reaction score
1,637
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Libertarian
Hurray! Scandal-plagued Canadian liberals might be replaced by scandal-plagued Canadian conservatives, meanwhile scandal-plagued American conservatives might be replaced by scandal-plagued American liberals in a few months, then we'll all have a happy scandal-plagued tea party to celebrate our scandal-plagued politicians!
 

KidRocks

DP Veteran
Joined
Aug 17, 2005
Messages
1,337
Reaction score
16
Location
right here
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Liberal
Binary_Digit said:
Hurray! Scandal-plagued Canadian liberals might be replaced by scandal-plagued Canadian conservatives, meanwhile scandal-plagued American conservatives might be replaced by scandal-plagued American liberals in a few months, then we'll all have a happy scandal-plagued tea party to celebrate our scandal-plagued politicians!


You know you're right? Good points!
 

Middleground

Dam Epidamic
Bartender
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Joined
Jul 15, 2005
Messages
26,065
Reaction score
12,019
Location
Canada's Capital
Gender
Female
Political Leaning
Progressive
Navy Pride said:
If this take place expect the recent approval of gay marriage in Canada to be thrown out by the Conservative government......


http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/americas/01/23/canada.election/index.html

Pre-election polls showed the Conservatives with a lead over the scandal-plagued Liberals.

As soon as I get the final results I will post them......
NP, get a clue. :roll:

The Conservatives will not get a majority government, hence, gay marriage will stay. If they choose to make it a top priorty on their ageda, I can assure you that it will be political suicide.

As difficult as it is for you to take, NP, gay marriage is here to stay in Canada. After all, it is a human rights issue and most Canadian citizens recognize that.
 

Middleground

Dam Epidamic
Bartender
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Joined
Jul 15, 2005
Messages
26,065
Reaction score
12,019
Location
Canada's Capital
Gender
Female
Political Leaning
Progressive
Binary_Digit said:
Hurray! Scandal-plagued Canadian liberals might be replaced by scandal-plagued Canadian conservatives, meanwhile scandal-plagued American conservatives might be replaced by scandal-plagued American liberals in a few months, then we'll all have a happy scandal-plagued tea party to celebrate our scandal-plagued politicians!

Yippie, sounds like fun! I'll bring the cigars and wear a blue dress!
 

Navy Pride

DP Veteran
Joined
Jul 11, 2005
Messages
39,883
Reaction score
3,070
Location
Pacific NW
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
KidRocks said:
Ya, they are going to elect Conservatives who most likely will shun George Bush, Republicans and America in general!

LOL... and loving it! :lol:
I don't care if they like GWB or not, I just want them to throw out gay marriage and trust me they will do that.......
 

Kandahar

Enemy Combatant
DP Veteran
Joined
Jul 20, 2005
Messages
20,688
Reaction score
7,319
Location
Washington, DC
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Liberal
Navy Pride said:
I don't care if they like GWB or not, I just want them to throw out gay marriage and trust me they will do that.......
No they won't. They aren't even campaigning on that issue, because Canada's Conservative Party hasn't been hijacked by religious nuts the way the GOP has. According to the Conservative Party platform, "Hold a truly free vote on the definition of marriage in the next session of Parliament. If the resolution is passed, the government will introduce legislation to restore the traditional definition of marriage while respecting existing same-sex marriages."

Can you imagine the GOP endorsing that kind of platform? Jerry Falwell and Pat Robertson would condemn them for capitulating to Satan.

Face it, gay marriage becomes a non-issue very quickly everywhere that it's legalized. It's true that there was a great deal of opposition from Conservatives when this legislation passed, but much of that has subsided by now. I highly doubt that the Conservative Party will act even on THIS seldom-mentioned campaign promise, and next election I bet no one will even care about it.

Why do you care so much about whether two people who love each other get married in another country? Last I checked, your god hadn't rained down fire and brimstone on Ottawa. How can you be so intolerant that you truly believe this is the most important issue facing Canada?
 
Last edited:

Middleground

Dam Epidamic
Bartender
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Joined
Jul 15, 2005
Messages
26,065
Reaction score
12,019
Location
Canada's Capital
Gender
Female
Political Leaning
Progressive
Navy Pride said:
I don't care if they like GWB or not, I just want them to throw out gay marriage and trust me they will do that.......
Wanna bet a million dollars? I'm game....

BTW, why is it such a big deal to you?
 

Navy Pride

DP Veteran
Joined
Jul 11, 2005
Messages
39,883
Reaction score
3,070
Location
Pacific NW
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
Kandahar said:
No they won't. They aren't even campaigning on that issue, because Canada's Conservative Party hasn't been hijacked by religious nuts the way the GOP has. According to the Conservative Party platform, "Hold a truly free vote on the definition of marriage in the next session of Parliament. If the resolution is passed, the government will introduce legislation to restore the traditional definition of marriage while respecting existing same-sex marriages."

Can you imagine the GOP endorsing that kind of platform? Jerry Falwell and Pat Robertson would condemn them for capitulating to Satan.

Face it, gay marriage becomes a non-issue very quickly everywhere that it's legalized. It's true that there was a great deal of opposition from Conservatives when this legislation passed, but much of that has subsided by now. I highly doubt that the Conservative Party will act even on THIS seldom-mentioned campaign promise, and next election I bet no one will even care about it.

Why do you care so much about whether two people who love each other get married in another country? Last I checked, your god hadn't rained down fire and brimstone on Ottawa. How can you be so intolerant that you truly believe this is the most important issue facing Canada?
I would be up for a nationwide vote in Canada on the legality of gay marriage as I would here in the U.S..............Let the chips fall where they may.....

There was a Conservative from one of the Newspapers in canada a couple of weeks ago and she said that if the Conservatives got back in power that would be one of th main issues on the docket.........

Stay tuned................
 

Kandahar

Enemy Combatant
DP Veteran
Joined
Jul 20, 2005
Messages
20,688
Reaction score
7,319
Location
Washington, DC
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Liberal
Navy Pride said:
I would be up for a nationwide vote in Canada on the legality of gay marriage as I would here in the U.S..............Let the chips fall where they may.....
Canada, like the US, has a constitution and elected representatives. Why in the world should there be a nationwide vote?

Navy Pride said:
There was a Conservative from one of the Newspapers in canada a couple of weeks ago and she said that if the Conservatives got back in power that would be one of th main issues on the docket.........
Some random conservative from some newspaper does not speak for their entire party.

Navy Pride said:
Stay tuned................
The odds that the Conservatives significantly alter the marriage laws in Canada? I'd say 20:1 against. It's just not that big a deal to most people.
 

scottyz

DP Veteran
Joined
Jul 31, 2005
Messages
1,575
Reaction score
0
Gender
Undisclosed
Political Leaning
Moderate
I had thought that Canadian liberals were actually to the left of American liberals and that Canadian conservatives were more like American liberals?
 

26 X World Champs

DP Veteran
Joined
Mar 6, 2005
Messages
7,536
Reaction score
429
Location
Upper West Side of Manhattan (10024)
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Liberal
Middleground said:
NP, get a clue. :roll:

As difficult as it is for you to take, NP, gay marriage is here to stay in Canada. After all, it is a human rights issue and most Canadian citizens recognize that.
Don't you know that to posters like Navy Pride human rights have no value? Instead they try to impose their morality onto anyone who will listen.

Did you note the great joy that Navy Pride exhibited in starting this thread gleefully pointing out that he wants Gay Marriage banned in Canada? Does it make you wonder how anyone can pretend to be for civil rights but against them for people in his and other countries who do not agree with a warped morality based on books of fiction written by anonymous writers over a 150 year period?

Is anyone surprised by the choice of words used to start this thread?
 

26 X World Champs

DP Veteran
Joined
Mar 6, 2005
Messages
7,536
Reaction score
429
Location
Upper West Side of Manhattan (10024)
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Liberal
Navy Pride said:
I don't care if they like GWB or not, I just want them to throw out gay marriage and trust me they will do that.......
And what Navy Pride logic is your latest "trust me" statement based on, eh? Don't you ever get tired of making statements that are continuously discredited by everyone except PTSDKID?
 

26 X World Champs

DP Veteran
Joined
Mar 6, 2005
Messages
7,536
Reaction score
429
Location
Upper West Side of Manhattan (10024)
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Liberal
Navy Pride said:
I would be up for a nationwide vote in Canada on the legality of gay marriage as I would here in the U.S..............Let the chips fall where they may.
So, in other words you're for the dismantling of the Constitution and our Republic? What kind of American does that make you?



 

Middleground

Dam Epidamic
Bartender
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Joined
Jul 15, 2005
Messages
26,065
Reaction score
12,019
Location
Canada's Capital
Gender
Female
Political Leaning
Progressive
Navy Pride said:
I would be up for a nationwide vote in Canada on the legality of gay marriage as I would here in the U.S..............Let the chips fall where they may.....

Stay tuned................

LOL. If that were to happen, I can assure you that the MAJORITY of Canadians would want to keep it legal. In fact, it was one of the most popular pieces of legislation to pass in a while. If Harper decides to put it on the top of his agenda, it will be political suicide.
 

Middleground

Dam Epidamic
Bartender
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Joined
Jul 15, 2005
Messages
26,065
Reaction score
12,019
Location
Canada's Capital
Gender
Female
Political Leaning
Progressive
scottyz said:
I had thought that Canadian liberals were actually to the left of American liberals and that Canadian conservatives were more like American liberals?
Hmmmm... not exactly sure. IMO, I would say that there is little difference between the old Conservative party and the Liberals. Both parties have historically been fiscally conservative and concerned about social issues at one time or another.That said, the Conservatives that were elected last evening are a mixture of the old Conservatives and the Reform party. The Reform party was as right wing as it got, but couldn't make any headway in any other province besides Alberta. Unfortunately, Harper is originally from this old party and his personal views are more right-wing that the traditional Canadian Conservative. That does not please me, but the minority government will mostly keep his hands tied.

IMO, if there was a better leader for the Conservatives (such as Peter McKay), we would of elected a majority Conservative government last evening.
 

GarzaUK

That European Guy
DP Veteran
Joined
Jan 28, 2005
Messages
3,682
Reaction score
625
Location
Belfast, Northern Ireland
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Centrist
Middleground what about Martin will he resigning as leader of the Liberal Party? And what is the Liberal Party planning to do about their corruption??

I'd be very surprised if Canada said goodbye to gay marriage as well.
 

Middleground

Dam Epidamic
Bartender
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Joined
Jul 15, 2005
Messages
26,065
Reaction score
12,019
Location
Canada's Capital
Gender
Female
Political Leaning
Progressive
GarzaUK said:
Middleground what about Martin will he resigning as leader of the Liberal Party? And what is the Liberal Party planning to do about their corruption??

I'd be very surprised if Canada said goodbye to gay marriage as well.

Martin already resigned. He did what was best for the party rather than think of himself. I have to applaud him for that.

Unfortunately for Martin, he inherited a corrupt party and never really got the opportunity to punish those who have broken the law. I liked his leadership qualities and some of his political stances. However, the hanful of corrupt politicians have ruined the Liberal reputation. They need to work hard in order for Canadians to trust them again.
 

aps

Passionate
DP Veteran
Joined
Sep 25, 2005
Messages
15,675
Reaction score
2,979
Gender
Female
Political Leaning
Liberal
Navy Pride said:
Pre-election polls showed the Conservatives with a lead over the scandal-plagued Liberals.
I am hoping the same thing happens here in the US in November 2006 and November 2008, except that in our country, it's the scandal-plauged Republicans. :lamo
 

Navy Pride

DP Veteran
Joined
Jul 11, 2005
Messages
39,883
Reaction score
3,070
Location
Pacific NW
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
Middleground said:
LOL. If that were to happen, I can assure you that the MAJORITY of Canadians would want to keep it legal. In fact, it was one of the most popular pieces of legislation to pass in a while. If Harper decides to put it on the top of his agenda, it will be political suicide.
As I said, we shall see.........Stay tuned......
 

Navy Pride

DP Veteran
Joined
Jul 11, 2005
Messages
39,883
Reaction score
3,070
Location
Pacific NW
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
aps said:
I am hoping the same thing happens here in the US in November 2006 and November 2008, except that in our country, it's the scandal-plauged Republicans. :lamo
I guess you have to go back to "Slick Willie" when you define corruption and that "I did not have sex with that woman Ms Lewinsky." as how is;) corruption and having sex defined.....
 

Memnon

New member
Joined
Jan 5, 2006
Messages
21
Reaction score
0
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Very Liberal
Wow. Dude. Navy Pride, get over it. Gay marriage isn't going anywhere, because it's a minority government and Harper doesn't have a majority. I've already posted on this.

I hope I put that in terms simple enough for you.

On an unrelated note, what is up with your infatuation with same sex marriage? Honestly, a) it isn't going anywhere and b) you don't even live here and c) Shockingly, 64% of Canadians support same sex marriage, and in Alberta, the most rightiest righty righthanded rightfully ridiculously right wing province EVER, it has 53% support.
 

Binary_Digit

DP Veteran
Joined
May 21, 2005
Messages
4,145
Reaction score
1,637
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Libertarian
Give me a sex scandal over a war scandal any day.
 
Joined
Nov 9, 2005
Messages
2,669
Reaction score
0
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Conservative
Binary_Digit said:
Give me a sex scandal over a war scandal any day.
I prefer the way it is now: Invented scandals. They make for great Red State balloting.
 
Top Bottom