• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Canadians do not need a day named for a pope or

[]D e e v e s

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Conservative
for any religious leader or sect. I resent even the suggestion to name a day for religion (in effect) in our secular country.
This move is totally unacceptable to me.

"Bill C-266 is a Private Member's Bill, sponsored by Wladyslaw Lizon (Mississauga East—Cooksville). It recently passed third reading in the House of Commons, and is currently before the Senate (more information here)."

I signed a petition to fight same.

http://www.change.org/en-CA/petitio...to-establish-pope-john-paul-ii-day-bill-c-266

for any religious leader or sect. I resent even the suggestion to name a day for religion (in effect) in our secular country.

"Bill C-266 is a Private Member's Bill, sponsored by Wladyslaw Lizon (Mississauga East—Cooksville). It recently passed third reading in the House of Commons, and is currently before the Senate (more information here)."

I signed a petition to fight same.

http://www.change.org/en-CA/petitio...to-establish-pope-john-paul-ii-day-bill-c-266

A private member's bill is hardly anything to get worried about. It will not pass.

So what are we gonna do with Christmas and Easter? Hell, even Thanksgiving has religious overtones.
But you're right, it'd be silly to name a day for J-P II. The guy should have gone with Lech Walesa.

So what are we gonna do with Christmas and Easter? Hell, even Thanksgiving has religious overtones.
But you're right, it'd be silly to name a day for J-P II. The guy should have gone with Lech Walesa.

Thanksgiving religious background...Well maybe to Jewish tradition. THANKSGIVING certainly has its roots in the Jewish tradition of Sukkot.

Canada has a Thanksgiving Day??? Really?

Thanksgiving religious background...Well maybe to Jewish tradition. THANKSGIVING certainly has its roots in the Jewish tradition of Sukkot.

Religious overtones. Giving thanks to The Great Pumpkin, I think.

Back
Top Bottom