• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Canadian tenor works 'All Lives Matter' into 'O Canada' at MLB All-Star Game

Lutherf

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
I didn't see any of the pregame so I guess I missed this but - Canadian tenor works 'All Lives Matter' into 'O Canada' at MLB All-Star Game - CBSSports.com
During their performance of the Canadian national anthem prior to Tuesday night's MLB All-Star Game in San Diego, a singer in a group of tenors from British Columbia, Canada altered the lyrics of the anthem to include a reference to "all lives matter."

Whether or not you agree with the message you have to admit that doing that to ANY national anthem is the pinnacle of disrespect. I swear that this whole race thing has sucked the last little bit of sanity out of everyone.

I didn't see any of the pregame so I guess I missed this but - Canadian tenor works 'All Lives Matter' into 'O Canada' at MLB All-Star Game - CBSSports.com

Whether or not you agree with the message you have to admit that doing that to ANY national anthem is the pinnacle of disrespect. I swear that this whole race thing has sucked the last little bit of sanity out of everyone.

Oh, the movement has been on a bad path for decades and in that amount of time, one can do a lot of sucking.

Just to clear up a couple of points:

1. You likely didn't see it on the American telecast because the American telecast chose to go to commercial for the Canadian National Anthem - that in itself is pretty disrespectful. The performance of the Canadian National Anthem was telecast on the International TV feed, so everyone other than America witnessed it live.

2. While the Canadian Tenors group is indeed Canadian, the one member of the group who hijacked the message is an American born member of the group and the only non-Canadian born member. Perhaps that is why he felt no loyalty to the anthem's words and felt "entitled" to politicize it.

1. You likely didn't see it on the American telecast because the American telecast chose to go to commercial for the Canadian National Anthem - that in itself is pretty disrespectful. The performance of the Canadian National Anthem was telecast on the International TV feed, so everyone other than America witnessed it live.

2. While the Canadian Tenors group is indeed Canadian, the one member of the group who hijacked the message is an American born member of the group and the only non-Canadian born member. Perhaps that is why he felt no loyalty to the anthem's words and felt "entitled" to politicize it.

Interesting to get the back story. I love the Canadian anthem. Beautiful.

Americans are rather used to entertainers hijacking our national anthem at sporting events. Although wrong, I suspect to many of us it's just a song in a register that makes it almost impossible for the ordinaries among us to sing without straining a muscle or three. ;) This one's got to be one of the worst.

Americans are rather used to entertainers hijacking our national anthem at sporting events. Although wrong, I suspect to many of us it's just a song in a register that makes it almost impossible for the ordinaries among us to sing without straining a muscle or three. ;) This one's got to be one of the worst.

I'm one of those Canadians who sings both the Canadian and American national anthems at sporting events - I consider it a sign of respect. Otherwise, why bother presenting them. And I do like having them sung live because I think it's important for kids to be exposed to them as they grow up, since in many jurisdictions things like the anthems and the Lord's Prayer and other traditions are being shunted aside.

I loved the early Roseanne - not so much the later, after success, Roseanne. Her rendition, if you can call it that, was a disgrace in my view.

The fact that it was an American who inserted that into the Canadian anthem somehow makes it even more disrespectful to me.

Looks like they kicked him out of the group because of it.

https://twitter.com/TenorsMusic/status/753048885912756224

Will anything happen to him as a result?

She took a lot of **** for that and still does.

She admitted it was a mistake and she would not do it again.

I'm asking you because you are Canadian; ... I don't get it ... are Canadian police shooting black people?

I'm asking you because you are Canadian; ... I don't get it ... are Canadian police shooting black people?

I'm pretty sure that the black population in Canada is next to non-existent. There may be one neighborhood in Montreal or Toronto but you're more likely to run into an Eskimo than a black person.

I'm pretty sure that the black population in Canada is next to non-existent. There may be one neighborhood in Montreal or Toronto but you're more likely to run into an Eskimo than a black person.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Canadians

Black Canadian is a designation used for people of Black African descent, who are citizens or permanent residents of Canada.[2][3] The majority of Black Canadians are of Caribbean origin, though the population also consists of African American immigrants and their descendants (including Black Nova Scotians), as well as many African immigrants.[4][5]

(945,665
2.9% of the total Canadian population (2011)[1])

I'm always learning Luther. :mrgreen:

Love this site.

Will anything happen to him as a result?

Not legally - anyone can bastardize the anthem at will it seems. But last I heard, the group had suspended him from participating in any future gigs until further notice. Chances are they'll dump him for someone else - no shortage of tenors around - mainly because they have been getting a lot of gigs doing the anthem and they won't want to lose that business.

As someone said earlier today, in today's highly divisive and political times, this won't be the last time that someone chooses to take advantage of such a situation to make a spectacle of themselves.

BLM have a Toronto chapter and they were recently noted around the world when they conducted a sit-in during last week's Gay Pride Parade in Toronto making demands of the organizers, including banning police involvement in the parade in the future.

There have been some police shootings in Toronto, with some black people also being "victims". In most cases, however, the "victim" had mental illness issues and there have been coroner's inquests into how police might better handle such situations without needing to resort to deadly force.

There was one officer who was charged with second degree murder, among other charges, when he shot and killed a young man, not black, on a transit streetcar when he was brandishing a knife and threatening people. The jury found him not guilty of second degree murder, for the first volley of shots that incapacitated the young man - ruling it a justified use of force - but then they found him guilty of attempted murder because he then proceeded to shoot the young man several more times while he was incapacitated, claiming he wouldn't drop the knife and was still dangerous. The coroner ruled that the first volley of shots were fatal - the jury found the second volley of shots unjustified.

One of the major issues here recently has been what was known as "carding" - police would stop and question people in high crime areas and complete ID and other information cards on those they stopped and used the information if future crimes took place. The black community very much opposed this practice, claiming it disproportionately targeted black people, particularly black male youth. The Province decided to ban the practice and is in the process of developing an alternate tool. In the meantime, we've noticed a drastic increase in the murder rate as well as other crime, particularly crime with guns involved. Under carding, people wouldn't carry around guns with them because the police could charge and arrest them if while "carding" they discovered the weapon. Now, it seems, the criminals are much braver and more in your face, basically telling police they can't stop them without reason. It's a mess, in my view.

Actually, as of 2006 - the latest information I could find readily - 8.4% of Toronto's population is black - over 200,000 - and over 52% of Toronto's population is immigrant origin.

Toronto has one of the most diverse populations in the world - over 47% are considered visible minorities as of 2006.

Diversity - Toronto Facts - Your City | City of Toronto

BLM have a Toronto chapter and they were recently noted around the world when they conducted a sit-in during last week's Gay Pride Parade in Toronto making demands of the organizers, including banning police involvement in the parade in the future.

There have been some police shootings in Toronto, with some black people also being "victims". In most cases, however, the "victim" had mental illness issues and there have been coroner's inquests into how police might better handle such situations without needing to resort to deadly force.

There was one officer who was charged with second degree murder, among other charges, when he shot and killed a young man, not black, on a transit streetcar when he was brandishing a knife and threatening people. The jury found him not guilty of second degree murder, for the first volley of shots that incapacitated the young man - ruling it a justified use of force - but then they found him guilty of attempted murder because he then proceeded to shoot the young man several more times while he was incapacitated, claiming he wouldn't drop the knife and was still dangerous. The coroner ruled that the first volley of shots were fatal - the jury found the second volley of shots unjustified.

One of the major issues here recently has been what was known as "carding" - police would stop and question people in high crime areas and complete ID and other information cards on those they stopped and used the information if future crimes took place. The black community very much opposed this practice, claiming it disproportionately targeted black people, particularly black male youth. The Province decided to ban the practice and is in the process of developing an alternate tool. In the meantime, we've noticed a drastic increase in the murder rate as well as other crime, particularly crime with guns involved. Under carding, people wouldn't carry around guns with them because the police could charge and arrest them if while "carding" they discovered the weapon. Now, it seems, the criminals are much braver and more in your face, basically telling police they can't stop them without reason. It's a mess, in my view.

That's more or less how the problems we have in our urban areas has come about. People don't want the criminal element in their areas but they also don't want to have to deal with the hassles that are necessary to get that job done. The result is that not only does nothing get done but that everyone ends up pissed off at everyone else.

Anything that targets crime targets black people because black people commit more crime. Funny how that works. They call that racism.

Anything that targets crime targets black people because black people commit more crime. Funny how that works. They call that racism.

There is some truth to your statement that crime is disproportionately committed by young black men, but it's also true that the black community here, and I suspect elsewhere, is overwhelmingly law abiding and respectful of others. There are numerous black led community groups fighting against black on black crime here - listening to the mothers of young black men and many black children, some toddlers, who have had their innocent children murdered by young black men is heartbreaking. These are good people who are trapped in many cases in situations not of their making where crime is controlling their lives. A child killed watching TV or sleeping in his/her bed, the victim of a random bullet shot in their neighbourhood, is truly the saddest thing. I don't understand why more young black people aren't marching in the streets demanding action on that front.

There is some truth to your statement that crime is disproportionately committed by young black men, but it's also true that the black community here, and I suspect elsewhere, is overwhelmingly law abiding and respectful of others. There are numerous black led community groups fighting against black on black crime here - listening to the mothers of young black men and many black children, some toddlers, who have had their innocent children murdered by young black men is heartbreaking. These are good people who are trapped in many cases in situations not of their making where crime is controlling their lives. A child killed watching TV or sleeping in his/her bed, the victim of a random bullet shot in their neighbourhood, is truly the saddest thing. I don't understand why more young black people aren't marching in the streets demanding action on that front.

I couldn't agree more. The majority of good blacks are in the same boat as the majority of good Muslims or the Majority of legal immigrants, but for some unknown reason liberals always take the case for the rights of the small minorities that cause all the problems and then accuse the conservatives of blanketing whole communities when they call them out.

Back
Top Bottom