• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Canadian national security task force is preparing for the collapse of the United States

democracy is rare...
democracy is hard...
if we lose democracy...
we will never get it back...
there will be no one to help us find it again...
-peace

What is democracy in simple words?
"Of the people, by the people, for the people" Abraham Lincoln.
The word democracy comes from the Greek words "demos", meaning people, and "kratos" meaning power;
so democracy can be thought of as the "power of the people":
a way of governing that depends on the will of the people.
State​
Certified?​
BidenVotes​
TrumpVotes​
OtherVotes​
Biden Share​
Trump...​
U.S. Total​
Yes​
81,282,916​
74,223,369​
2,891,441​
51.3%​
46.9%​
1653545533441.png

I think the relationship between the countries has grown interesting. While you may have a view of the U.S. as toying with "right wing extremism", millions in the U.S. see Canada toying with the exact opposite of that. So, as you might view the gulf as only one of the two countries potentially moving a direction, I certainly don't see it that way.
Our approach isn't new though; although it may be recently coming to your attention. We've always been inclusive and progressive. Inclusive back to the earliest days when the country found a way to accommodate two traditional adversaries (French and British) to form the country and inclusive in how Aboriginals were treated.

In terms of progressive we have had provincial universal healthcare since 1947 (starting with Saskatchewan and spreading throughout the country in the following years) and nationally since 1982. Homosexuality was decriminalized in 1967, gay marriage permitted nationally since 2005 etc, etc.
Also, I see Canada as feeling almost a sense of arrogance and entitlement to actually think they have some sort of a say as to what political choices the U.S. makes and what leaders they choose.
We have no say and I'm not sure where you're getting that idea from. Maybe from forum posts? Those are meaningless.
(I don't see the U.S. feeling that way, about Canada, in return.)
Agree, but that has a lot to do with indifference. We simply don't matter to Americans. Our political philosophy is accepted by Americans who take the time to look at it, and many who look deeper see a potential roadmap to how some elements of the American approach could be improved (such as gun regulations and universal healthcare).
And the left in Canada (and the majority in Canada is on the left) has chosen a "side". Canadians have become extremely bold in their criticisms and in inserting their nose in our business.
Where do you see this outside political pundits and forums? When was the last time a Canadian PM criticized America?
So, here they are in a situation where, as an example, let's say Donald Trump becomes the next U.S. president - many in Canada have chosen to VERY outwardly display complete disdain for him and most of the Republican party.
Well he's an idiot. We're not holding back on criticizing leaders like Trump, regardless of country they're in.
Imagine the situation that Canadian boldness has placed Canada in? That takes me all the way back to this comment of yours (below). Let's say Canada ends up feeling more isolated from the U.S. than in the past, with a larger gulf between us, with a less friendly relationship - maybe Canada should look in the mirror as to what kind of friend they've chosen to be with the U.S. and all of the U.S. - including the side which isn't "Canada's choice for the U.S." (to me that sounds insane but that's how rude and bold Canada has truly become). Canada makes its choices for its country and so does the U.S. Maybe Canada should think about what some of their actions could mean to their future - as the U.S. makes its choices for its country. If Canada chooses to hate a U.S. president and party which could very well be in leadership from time to time - do you think the feelings just might end up going both ways. How do you feel about people who hate you? Warm and friendly?
You need to separate the ways this concern (or as you call it hatred) manifests itself. What you see on this forum or from Canadian political commentators is meaningless. What matters is the relationship between Americans and Canadians at the personal level and the political level. On a personal level Americans and Canadians have much in common and get along just fine as you come up here hunting and fishing and we go down there to warm up.

On a political level Canadian politicians are used to the fact that occasionally a situation exists where the US moves right. That's nothing new and our political leaders deal with it with diplomatic grace.

The concern is that another round of Trump (or worse) will make the relationship harder to maintain. As the gap between the right and moderates grows within America, it would also be strained externally with other moderate countries. Many countries are more moderate than Canada, but we're right next door.

Our approach isn't new though; although it may be recently coming to your attention. We've always been inclusive and progressive. Inclusive back to the earliest days when the country found a way to accommodate two traditional adversaries (French and British) to form the country and inclusive in how Aboriginals were treated.

Agree, but that has a lot to do with indifference. We simply don't matter to Americans. Our political philosophy is accepted by Americans who take the time to look at it, and many who look deeper see a potential roadmap to how some elements of the American approach could be improved (such as gun regulations and universal healthcare).

Well he's an idiot. We're not holding back on criticizing leaders like Trump, regardless of country they're in.

You need to separate the ways this concern (or as you call it hatred) manifests itself. What you see on this forum or from Canadian political commentators is meaningless. What matters is the relationship between Americans and Canadians at the personal level and the political level. On a personal level Americans and Canadians have much in common and get along just fine as you come up here hunting and fishing and we go down there to warm up.

On a political level Canadian politicians are used to the fact that occasionally a situation exists where the US moves right. That's nothing new and our political leaders deal with it with diplomatic grace.
That's great you have such a good and positive view of Canada, as a citizen. But that doesn't mean everyone shares your view.

"Inclusive" is not the way (I'd argue the world) saw Canada during the trucker protest, just as one example.

True, about not really mattering to Americans. I agree. I don't know that it's so much that your political philosophy is accepted (or even thought about much) as much as the "simply don't matter" part. I think you overestimate the American view of the Canadian healthcare system. For about half of America, the Canadian healthcare system is precisely what we would never want.

As this thread is discussing, maybe that personal and political relationship is slipping. There are frequently Republican administrations and presidents in the U.S. A few years ago, many on the left were feeling as if U.S. Republicans were just about to become a thing of the past - that it was so obvious America and the world were all heading left and conservatism was close to dead. Well, what a difference a few years has made and boy has that leftward movement created a mess of problems for a number of countries. As a result, I'd argue the Republican party in the U.S. is alive and well and America will quite likely pull a U-turn (away from the failing left turn) which might even last for years in the U.S. Meanwhile, Canada is veering more to the my way or the highway leftist movement (as the trucker protest showed us, glaringly). Also, Canada has shown itself to not be a step up to the task or the moment country - with NATO, with Ukraine - really not in any way I can identify. Canada can certainly be a slacker little brother and a quite critical one at that.

Hopefully, your leaders will deal with a U.S. leader (from either party) with diplomatic grace. They kind of have to, don't you think? Whether you like it or not, Canada sort of has to be the little brother of someone. They might choose the U.S. or they might choose China but, beyond those countries, their options become more limited.

The concern is that another round of Trump (or worse) will make the relationship harder to maintain. As the gap between the right and moderates grows within America, it would also be strained externally with other moderate countries. Many countries are more moderate than Canada, but we're right next door.
I think another round of Trump or (as you refer to it, which I think is an excellent example of the root of the problem and this discussion) - "worse", could certainly make the relationship harder to maintain - and precisely because of the sentiment you so clearly wrote in that very sentence. That's where that good Canadian look in the mirror comes into play. If you (Canada as a whole) choose to dislike and criticize the U.S. because you don't like its government, I doubt that government will be viewing Canada as a country it is super excited to put a lot of effort into having a great relationship with. But I think nearly everything in your comments in this thread indicate you might think that slipping might be the fault of the U.S. (how dare the U.S. think of going an opposite political direction than Canada has chosen!!!!). Yet, in the same comments you point out it isn't the U.S. obsessing about and putting great energy into criticizing Canada - by correctly (IMO) saying the "don't matter" part.

To sum it up, I'll say the U.S. won't be shooting itself in the foot by electing the government it chooses to. But Canada might be shooting itself in the foot by taking a quite strong, vocal, and negative stance against a leader or government in a neighboring country of which they benefit from having a friendly relationship with. Does Canada have that right and option (to have very in your face, vocal, and negative opinions of American conservatives and leaders) - sure. Will it benefit Canada or the relationship between the two countries? I certainly doubt it.

That's great you have such a good and positive view of Canada, as a citizen. But that doesn't mean everyone shares your view.
In rankings of countries by international reputation Canada is at or near the top. Every year.
"Inclusive" is not the way (I'd argue the world) saw Canada during the trucker protest, just as one example.
Enforcement of laws is what that was. Inclusive is that we accommodated more than 400K immigrants in 2021.
True, about not really mattering to Americans. I agree. I don't know that it's so much that your political philosophy is accepted (or even thought about much) as much as the "simply don't matter" part. I think you overestimate the American view of the Canadian healthcare system. For about half of America, the Canadian healthcare system is precisely what we would never want.
63% of Americans want single-payer.
Also, Canada has shown itself to not be a step up to the task or the moment country - with NATO, with Ukraine - really not in any way I can identify. Canada can certainly be a slacker little brother and a quite critical one at that.
Canada is contributing weapons to Ukraine.
Whether you like it or not, Canada sort of has to be the little brother of someone. They might choose the U.S. or they might choose China but, beyond those countries, their options become more limited.
False dichotomy. In addition if we are currently a little brother to anyone it's the UK.

To sum it up, I'll say the U.S. won't be shooting itself in the foot by electing the government it chooses to. But Canada might be shooting itself in the foot by taking a quite strong, vocal, and negative stance against a leader or government in a neighboring country of which they benefit from having a friendly relationship with. Does Canada have that right and option (to have very in your face, vocal, and negative opinions of American conservatives and leaders) - sure.
Strawman. We're not doing that.

Back
Top Bottom