• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Canada's vaccine rollout stalls, confining seniors to their homes for months to come

Allan

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
This is not good news. I think the solution might be for the government to build a facility to manufacture vaccines and maybe lease it out to manufacturers as needed. It could be used for flu vaccine production then in a crises switched to other vaccines.

The Canadian government thought it could pay to play in the global race to vaccinate its way back to normal life. But as its vaccine supply slowed to a trickle in February, Canada remains on the sidelines of that race despite buying more vaccines doses per capita than, likely, any other country on Earth.

Canada did seemingly get an early start on buying vaccines in April last year, although the government says it could not convince any companies to produce them on Canadian soil. And ultimately it was the timeline -- the fact that manufacturers did not prioritize Canada for doses this winter -- that has sealed the fate of millions of Canadians still waiting to get a vaccine.

Link

My understanding is that it is not really possible to build a "generic"' manufacturing plant but Trudeau has reached a deal to build a plant in Canada for one of the new vaccines in the pipe. I am no fan of Trudeau but this one isn't on him. I think it is reprehensible that Pfizer and Moderna were blocked by the Europeans from honouring their contracts with Canada. As I understand it vaccines start arriving again next week. Let's just hope they aren't halted again.

To create a new plant will take a good couple of years, by then hopefully vaccines won’t be an issue

o create a new plant will take a good couple of years, by then hopefully vaccines won’t be an issue
Actually they said it would be ready this Fall.

To create a new plant will take a good couple of years, by then hopefully vaccines won’t be an issue
There are more pandemics coming. More than 800 human diseases originated in animals, and there are likely many more waiting to make the leap.

I just read of a deal between Trudeau and Modi for shipments to Canada of COVISHIELD from India. Are Canadians feeling like that will be a help with their current shortage? I'm just assuming that vaccine has received approval in Canada as I wouldn't expect Trudeau would be striking a deal for a vaccine that Canada hasn't approved. Is it one shot or two?

Covishield is the name India uses for the vaccine developed by the British-Swedish firm AstraZeneca with Oxford University, which it mass-produced in India. The deal is based on approval of the AstraZeneca drug by Health Canada which are in the final stages. It is similiar to the Pfizer and Moderna drugs, two shots.

I'm just assuming that vaccine has received approval in Canada as I wouldn't expect Trudeau would be striking a deal for a vaccine that Canada hasn't approved.
Odd assumption given Trump entered into deals with all the Pharma companies prior to approvals in fact the J&J vaccine which is currently scheduled for deliveries, not that that is going well, and has yet to be approved.

Last edited:
Odd assumption given Trump entered into deals with all the Pharma companies prior to approvals in fact the J&J vaccine which is currently scheduled for deliveries, not that that is going well, and has yet to be approved.
Trump sure did. Trump got in very early and the U.S. provided substantial financing to various vaccine development teams/companies quite some time before approval (those they had the most confidence in)- so they'd be ready to go if successful and if approved. The U.S. was even willing to go the extent of pre-manufacturing prior to approval, with a willingness to toss all vaccines never properly approved. All that was a big part of the very successful Operation Warp Speed (of which you scoffed at and criticized regularly).
BUT, that was NOT the approach Trudeau took! Trudeau made mistake after mistake, chose early and strange communist Chinese partners, and then got in late and slowly following those mistakes. I think Canada is now in something like 45th place in the world in terms of vaccine delivery per capita. I can imagine some Canadians are super frustrated and those who are have every reason to be. My turn to criticize your worthless leader and praise the 45th U.S. president. The vaccine I, my family members, and many, many, many of my friends have received prior to the middle of February or even much earlier have nothing to do with orders placed by our current president (wow, he actually placed some orders!) for more summer shipments. Liberals did everything imaginable to try to sabotage and hopefully delay a hugely successful and bold Operation Warp Speed but as I expected it might be, it was a huge success.

The issue here has zero to do with not having placed orders early, we did. The problem is that Moderna and Pfizer have not honoured those contracts since the begining of the year. They have said they will resume shippments in March. Let's hope that is true.

Interestingly, although Canadians are frustrated with the vaccine rollot, Trudeau remains the more popular leader and the Liberals the most popular party.

From todays Globe and Mail..........

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau’s party leads in voter intention. According to Nanos Research the Liberals are edging out the Conservatives on the ballot with 34 per cent compared with 30 per cent. The survey has a margin of error of ±3.1 percentage points, 19 times out of 20.

Trudeau also far outpaces the other party leaders in the preferred prime minister category at 37 per cent, followed by Conservative Leader Erin O’Toole at 26 per cent, according to the survey released Tuesday.

Nearly a month since the last comment on this thread, I was googling today to see how Canada is doing on vaccines. This was one of the most recent articles I read. The comments from Canadians, following the article, show tremendous frustration and even some praise of Trump and Operation Warp Speed. That was nice (and fair) to see. Do the Canadians here share the frustration shown in the majority of the comments following the article? Do you think this debacle will be the end of Trudeau.

Why COVID vaccine rollout in Canada is lagging so far behind the U.S. | National Post

This is not good news. I think the solution might be for the government to build a facility to manufacture vaccines and maybe lease it out to manufacturers as needed. It could be used for flu vaccine production then in a crises switched to other vaccines.

Link
They tried that and IIRC after 65 Mil they found it was not large enough
Trudeau screwed the pooch on vaccines - Sinovac- Chinese screwed him over, and then we were behind in the lineup with other countries for other vaccines

Calgary- there is a facility there that can produce DRNA vaccines

We need vaccine production facilities in country
Same for PPE
Same for chemicals required to manufacture DRNA vaccines as well as the general types

This cost the Govts (Fed/Prov) well in excess of 6-7 hd billion. The costs for business is yet to be counted

Labs- Ontario was sending C19 tests to NY who sent them to CA to be analyzed

Fund labs across the country enabling them to process testing
Taking a week to 10 days to process testing is mainly useless

Other measures such as stopping out of country vacations, with mandatory quarantines at hotels

Trudeau cut the office that was for pandemic preparedness

Oversight by Parliament, public meetings and AG annual reports where the Govt must act, with firm timelines to be met

The Committee must not be ruled by the governing party

Trudeau and the Opposition did well doling out funds, as to addressing the pandemic, meh, not so much

Back
Top Bottom