• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Canada's Parliament Approves Trudeau's Emergency Powers

Liberal7360

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
The parliament has approved Trudeau using the emergency Act.

However the Canadian ACLU is taking Trudeau to court.

It will be interesting to see how this all works out.

The most than can happen with a court case is that the court would find that implementation was not in keeping with the intentions of Parliament when the Act was passed in 1988 or that the Act itself is unconstitutional. Really it's only the former that is possible, but unlikely.

In any event by then this whole mess will be sorted so the provisions of the EM will no longer be needed.

I'm very glad we don't have that law here in the US.

A competent Chancellor Palpatine Trudeau is not, but how democracies perish is an old story. First powers are amended temporarily to the executive, followed by emergency powers to become permanent to safeguard the homeland against potential "terrorism". Soon the alarmism propels expansion beyond normal policing powers, into the very core of the financial system, the assets of those who might protest seized and monitored.

The next step will be when the leader of the party and state, and compliant judicial system become "one", and the failing opposition finds itself under a series of increasingly punishing and limiting "decrees" as enemies of the nation. Having gained unprecedented control over the legislature and courts, the government then becomes a "guardian" and its electoral apparatus corrupted by fear and court compliance with "decrees" by a centralized authority.

Canada took a giant step down that road.

O/P mentioned that the Canadian Civil Liberties Association with be pursuing litigation. Here's more on what they had to say about the invocation of the Emergencies Act.

Wondering how many will still disagree with this after reading below.
Noa Mendelsohn Aviv, Executive Director of the CCLA said,

"This morning I listened carefully to the Prime Minister and heard no new legal justifications for a national emergency and the enormous power the government is hoping to give to itself to bypass the typical democratic process. The situation in Ottawa has been complicated, difficult and painful, in particular for marginalized communities who have experienced racial and homophobic intimidation by some. Governments already have the lawful authority to address difficult situations and do so all the time. This use of the Emergencies Act is unnecessary, unjustifiable and unconstitutional."
"Our society needs peaceful assembly – a critical democratic tool – even though not every person agrees with the content of every movement."

"Some protests can even be disruptive. It is possible for a gathering to be both disruptive and also peaceful and nonviolent. Disruptive protest that may be unlawful, like blocking a pipeline or occupying a a public space, can also be the most effective way of raising awareness for people who do not have power," concluded Mendelsohn Aviv.
"We do not want to minimize the impacts of the protests that are occurring across the country. But, while some of the blockades have been immensely disruptive, it is unclear that the ongoing protests "endanger the lives, health or safety of Canadians" so as to rise to the threshold of a national emergency under the law," said Abby Deshman, Director of Criminal Justice for the CCLA.

"The emergency orders that the government has tabled are not targeted. They are not limited to specific protests, or specific geographic locations. They are expansive emergency orders that have already come into effect and apply equally across the entire country. And they place unprecedented restrictions on every single Canadian's constitutional rights."
"The current emergency orders place significant limits on peaceful assembly across the entire country. They require financial institutions to turn over personal financial information to CSIS and the RCMP, and to freeze the bank accounts and cut off financial services provided to anyone who has attended, or who has provided assistance to those participating in, a prohibited assembly – all without judicial oversight."
"It is in light of all these violations of civil liberties that we will be taking the government to court," finished Deshman.

O/P mentioned that the Canadian Civil Liberties Association with be pursuing litigation. Here's more on what they had to say about the invocation of the Emergencies Act.

Wondering how many will still disagree with this after reading below.

What rubbish. The crap about "racial and homophobic intimidation" is just some fake cooked up pretext so that the fascist-in-chief can have an excuse to crack down on those protesting his govt.

They're just peddling lies to hide behind.

What rubbish. The crap about "racial and homophobic intimidation" is just some fake cooked up pretext so that the fascist-in-chief can have an excuse to crack down on those protesting his govt.

Everything will be investigated by the CCLA. Even if it were found to be true in a few cases, it doesn't negate what the CCLA has asserted above, there are serious violations of civil liberties.

Reactions: PoS

They were protesting his government?
See, they started out protesting the border restrictions. After a couple days they realized that the Canadian border restriction didn't affect them so they said they were protesting all covid restrictions. Now that they realize the Covid restrictions are a hodge-podge of provincial and local governments and company policies they're just blanket protesting the government?
Don't be ridiculous.

Fascism always comes in the form of anti-fascism
Ah yes, I too remember when notable anti-fascists like Mussolini and Hitler came to power under the guise of being anti-fascist. Crazy times, I remember it like I read about it yesterday.

Wow, Ive always thought of Canada as this sort of country where people just live and let live, a land of tolerance and the always welcoming Canadian sense of humor and general acceptance.

Now it starting to feel like Russia, but with maple syrup instead of vodka.

Ah yes, I too remember when notable anti-fascists like Mussolini and Hitler came to power under the guise of being anti-fascist. Crazy times, I remember it like I read about it yesterday.

I bet you did read all of that just yesterday...

A competent Chancellor Palpatine Trudeau is not, but how democracies perish is an old story. First powers are amended temporarily to the executive, followed by emergency powers to become permanent to safeguard the homeland against potential "terrorism". Soon the alarmism propels expansion beyond normal policing powers, into the very core of the financial system, the assets of those who might protest seized and monitored.

The next step will be when the leader of the party and state, and compliant judicial system become "one", and the failing opposition finds itself under a series of increasingly punishing and limiting "decrees" as enemies of the nation. Having gained unprecedented control over the legislature and courts, the government then becomes a "guardian" and its electoral apparatus corrupted by fear and court compliance with "decrees" by a centralized authority.

Canada took a giant step down that road.

I never thought Canada would go full Red Square. Maybe there is truth to to the Castro Trudeau rumor.

Rumours of our democratic demise are greatly overstated. An unlawful occupation that blocked traffic, forced businesses to close, disrupted public transportation for weeks and kept people in their homes has been broken up through the application of legitimate laws and with strict oversight.

The bipartisan post mortem report will recommend changes to existing laws that would have allowed for police action without the EA and those changes will be made. There will not be months of haggling and parliaments investigations. Some parts of the EA will likely be changed and the courts will do their thing just as they should.......and democracy will move forward as it should.

Unlike the U.S. it looks like Canada was well prepared to protect itself from foreign backed interference.

Rumours of our democratic demise are greatly overstated.
The hyperbole over exactly that is the most ridiculous part of this whole thing. All countries deal with protests and riots, many much more serious and than this and far more frequent than we experience. Paris had Covid restriction protests just a couple of weeks ago and both sides were much more aggressive. No one is predicting the demise of France.

The hyperbole over exactly that is the most ridiculous part of this whole thing
I guess Tucker wasn't as obsessed with France as he is about Canada. Where Tucker leads the sheeple follow.

Everything will be investigated by the CCLA. Even if it were found to be true in a few cases, it doesn't negate what the CCLA has asserted above, there are serious violations of civil liberties.

What violations of civil liberties? You're playing a conflation game. This is like when Russia takes out a Facebook ad, and you call it "foreign meddling"

You're speaking in bad faith.

The CCLA isn't the only one suing.

Canada's premier of the province of Alberta, Jason Kenney, filed suit against Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and the nation's federal government, citing the nature of the Emergencies Act as...​

Let's hope this is fast tracked through the Canadian courts.

I never thought Canada would go full Red Square. Maybe there is truth to to the Castro Trudeau rumor.
I didn't think it either. What a transformation of a country and practically overnight. It's going to be weird to watch the new Canada over the next few years.
A month ago, if someone would have asked me if I thought something like this would have happened in Canada, I would have said certainly not in my lifetime. Then, Canada transformed right before the world's eyes. I think it just might work too. I think there is a good chance Canadian citizens will obediently and maybe even somewhat happily, just let this happen.
A poster named Northern Light (currently living in Canada) was posting about a week ago about the Canadian transformation and discussed the need to get out, rather quickly. I hope they've now figured out their exit plan. I wonder if that individual even recognized how (seriously) the last week would even play out.

Back
Top Bottom