• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Canada to stay out of Syria

Quag

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Harper now a

So it looks like we will only provide moral support

That's great news! :)

Greetings to Canada

Harper now a

"Oh Canada" ;)

Yeah.....I heard, but don't worry the French say, they will Punish Assad. We should all feel joy joy.....Right? :lamo

No Beaver for the Bullies. :mrgreen:

That's great news! :)

Greetings to Canada

It would be. But Obama has set an ultimatum. Backing down is really a signal we do not deed. The man is becoming a severe liability.

Backing down is really a signal we do not deed.

Would you prefer WW3 instead? :confused: Because that would be the most likely result if Syria is attacked.

Would you prefer WW3 instead? :confused: Because that would be the most likely result if Syria is attacked.

That is always a possibility. All the more impressive, when Obama holds his ground. And if he does not, everyone knows what to say to make the Americans go away. He should not have drawn that silly line in the Sand.

But I will hold the bet that Armageddon won't happen this round.

May I ask what you are amused at?

I think it is amusing to see the allies jump ship. I don't want to say, I like the direction the ship is going and I think Obama probably should have been less loose drawing red lines. But it is funny to see who stands close, when it gets tight. Or wouldn't you think it amusing, the French standing tall while the UK and Canada bow out?

But I will say that it would be nice to hear why we allowed this to happen. After all the whole international society signed off on the 2005 UN Paper instituting R2P as an international and UN norm. We all fell down pretty badly here.

I think it is amusing to see the allies jump ship. I don't want to say, I like the direction the ship is going and I think Obama probably should have been less loose drawing red lines. But it is funny to see who stands close, when it gets tight. Or wouldn't you think it amusing, the French standing tall while the UK and Canada bow out?

But I will say that it would be nice to hear why we allowed this to happen. After all the whole international society signed off on the 2005 UN Paper instituting R2P as an international and UN norm. We all fell down pretty badly here.

Canada didn't go into Gulf2 either though we were there for Afghanistan

He should not have drawn that silly line in the Sand.

Even the American president is entitled to mistakes once in while. I forgive him. :)

Firstly, if your friend decides to do something stupid, like rob a bank, are you a bad friend for not driving the get-away car or holding the money bag? Sometimes stupid friends do stupid things and it takes a grown-up to give things some sober, rational thought yet still be supportive of your idiot friend.

Secondly, France is not joining the US now - they are waiting to see what the UN inspectors report before committing anything. I wouldn't be lauding the French just yet.

Thirdly, the US plan is to use tomahawk and cruise missiles to take out strategic targets in Syria - Canada has stated they have neither of those weapons or weapon systems and have no strategic capability to offer.

Finally, like in many places where the US moves rashly, I'm sure Canada's peacekeepers and nation "rebuilders" will follow up and clean up the mess left behind.

Firstly, if your friend decides to do something stupid, like rob a bank, are you a bad friend for not driving the get-away car or holding the money bag? Sometimes stupid friends do stupid things and it takes a grown-up to give things some sober, rational thought yet still be supportive of your idiot friend.

Secondly, France is not joining the US now - they are waiting to see what the UN inspectors report before committing anything. I wouldn't be lauding the French just yet.

Thirdly, the US plan is to use tomahawk and cruise missiles to take out strategic targets in Syria - Canada has stated they have neither of those weapons or weapon systems and have no strategic capability to offer.

Finally, like in many places where the US moves rashly, I'm sure Canada's peacekeepers and nation "rebuilders" will follow up and clean up the mess left behind.

Yep! I have always thought of Canada as the grown-up.

Canada didn't go into Gulf2 either though we were there for Afghanistan

Canada didn't go into Iraq during Gulf2 but we did have assets in the Persian Gulf and vacinity that assisted and were used by those who did.

But, but, our credibility has been RESTORED! damn it. There's a red line, and Canada just crossed it.

But, but, our credibility has been RESTORED! damn it. There's a red line, and Canada just crossed it.

Actually there are 2 red lines on either side of the white one with a maple leaf in the middle

Actually there are 2 red lines on either side of the white one with a maple leaf in the middle
Geeze. Makes it even worse. I'm heartened that our allies, at least, are demonstrating some reasonable caution. Obama seems to be treating this like a game of pick up football.

Theres a shocker!!!

Harper now a

Oh, Canada. That is a wise choice. Of course the military-industrial complex doesn't run your fine nation, so it's an easier choice than it is for the U.S.

Obama hesitated as if he was trying to decide the best coarse of action. :lamo There isn't a person on earth who thought the U.S. would turn down a chance to get involved in another war.

Geeze. Makes it even worse. I'm heartened that our allies, at least, are demonstrating some reasonable caution. Obama seems to be treating this like a game of pick up football.

Good afternoon, humbolt. :2wave:

:agree: If BHO thinks this will improve his ratings in the US, not to mention the rest of the world, he is wrong, IMO. It just makes him look like he was outplayed by taking Russia's bait! . And he's supposed to be brilliant? Riiight! He should just ignore what Russia says, since they have their own agenda. Also, all those egging him on should be first in line to sign up to go to Syria, then, because most of the American people think we should not get involved until we have the facts about who used the chemical weapons, and even then it is not our fight since it is a religious war between opposing factions. The administration saying that they have "intercepted messages" just isn't enough now, especially since this happened too long ago to be believable at this point! :thumbdown:

We might look better in the eyes of the world by sending humanitarian aid to those fleeing this mess, IMO. :thumbs:

Good afternoon, humbolt. :2wave:

:agree: If BHO thinks this will improve his ratings in the US, not to mention the rest of the world, he is wrong, IMO. It just makes him look like he was outplayed by taking Russia's bait! . And he's supposed to be brilliant? Riiight! He should just ignore what Russia says, since they have their own agenda. Also, all those egging him on should be first in line to sign up to go to Syria, then, because most of the American people think we should not get involved until we have the facts about who used the chemical weapons, and even then it is not our fight since it is a religious war between opposing factions. The administration saying that they have "intercepted messages" just isn't enough now, especially since this happened too long ago to be believable at this point! :thumbdown:

We might look better in the eyes of the world by sending humanitarian aid to those fleeing this mess, IMO. :thumbs:
I completely agree, and Obama's track record in the ME is abysmal. If there's a "policy" behind this, I hope someone somewhere has the ability to articulate it, because it looks completely willy nilly - like Obama's making it up as he goes along. He's been so badly outplayed on this issue alone that if I were Putin or Assad, there'd be high fives all around.

Back
Top Bottom