• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Canada to legalize pot next spring

A bill to legalize marijuana will be introduced to Parliament in the spring of 2017...

Canada to introduce pot legalization legislation in 2017 - National | Globalnews.ca

So, should there be a moratorium on possession arrests? Should court cases be delayed until the new law is enacted?

While I'm not sure, I'm guessing that if they're considering legalizing, then they probably don't enforce the law much anymore anyway. The US is like that in a lot of places. The cops don't even look for it unless there's suspicion of DUI. But half measures like not enforcing the law or decriminalizing just take more risk out of the black market. Legalizing will at least greatly reduce the black market, where it doesn't eliminate it completely.

While I'm not sure, I'm guessing that if they're considering legalizing, then they probably don't enforce the law much anymore anyway. The US is like that in a lot of places. The cops don't even look for it unless there's suspicion of DUI. But half measures like not enforcing the law or decriminalizing just take more risk out of the black market. Legalizing will at least greatly reduce the black market, where it doesn't eliminate it completely.

That's one good reason for legalization. With prohibition, a lot of very ugly people are getting rich, and ramping up the 'war on drugs' only increases the profits those dirtbags make.

That's one good reason for legalization. With prohibition, a lot of very ugly people are getting rich, and ramping up the 'war on drugs' only increases the profits those dirtbags make.

I see them as more tax-dodgers than dirtbags when it comes to marijuana dealers, assuming their customers are adults. But this half measure of keeping it illegal but not enforcing the law is any dealers wet dream.

I see them as more tax-dodgers than dirtbags when it comes to marijuana dealers, assuming their customers are adults. But this half measure of keeping it illegal but not enforcing the law is any dealers wet dream.

It's legalization, not a half-measure.
Or are you referring to me wondering if there should be a moratorium on arrests between now and when the law is passed?

It's legalization, not a half-measure.
Or are you referring to me wondering if there should be a moratorium on arrests between now and when the law is passed?

The "half measure" comment was in reference the current situation in most of the US and presumably in Canadia as well, where its technically illegal so there can be no legitimate, tax generating businesses or sales. By not really enforcing the prohibition laws, it creates an environment where dealers can sell with less risk and the black market thrives. From the governments perspective, decriminalization is a half measure that prevents wasted law enforcement resources but fails to address the black market, allowing something to be bought and sold tax free and unregulated.

The "half measure" comment was in reference the current situation in most of the US and presumably in Canadia as well, where its technically illegal so there can be no legitimate, tax generating businesses or sales. By not really enforcing the prohibition laws, it creates an environment where dealers can sell with less risk and the black market thrives. From the governments perspective, decriminalization is a half measure that prevents wasted law enforcement resources but fails to address the black market, allowing something to be bought and sold tax free and unregulated.

Yeah, that sounds like a fair description of the situation here in Canada, regarding possession anyway. Trafficking and cultivation are different, but even that varies from place to place. Here, where I live, cultivation is universally tolerated by the populace and law enforcement reflects community standards, as it should. One of the local RCMP (there's only two on the island) was heard to say about growing, "No more than 5 and I can't see them from the road."
I'm interested to see how the home-growing angle gets handled by the new law.

Yeah, that sounds like a fair description of the situation here in Canada, regarding possession anyway. Trafficking and cultivation are different, but even that varies from place to place. Here, where I live, cultivation is universally tolerated by the populace and law enforcement reflects community standards, as it should. One of the local RCMP (there's only two on the island) was heard to say about growing, "No more than 5 and I can't see them from the road."

Well if you enforced the law about cultivation in BC there wouldn't be much of a population left.

Considering the recent Canadian government's budget and projections for the next 4 years, seems only reasonable that they'd want as many people stoned as possible moving forward.

Considering the recent Canadian government's budget and projections for the next 4 years, seems only reasonable that they'd want as many people stoned as possible moving forward.

Well the CBO recently released report saying that the deficits are overestimated since they are based on incredibly pessimistic economic growth and oil prices.

Same here, if they can charge you with intent to distribute its taken more seriously. But even that is dampened when you don't bust small time users and get them to sell out their supplier. They really only end up busting the stupid dealers.

Cultivation is something I've wondered how the US would handle. The big draw for legalization, from the governments perspective, is the money. If a lot of people start growing their own they might see that as a threat to revenue. I could see them requiring a permit of some kind to grow your own.

I find the best thing to do is to compare to other similar things that are currently legal, in the case of cultivation: Tobacco. In the US, no permit is required to grow your own tobacco, and there is no limit on the amount you can grow for personal use. This is federally speaking, some states may have local laws regarding such. The line is drawn at the selling of tobacco products, which must be taxed and regulated. In the fervor of getting this new cash cow to start producing, I could still see them requiring a permit to grow cannabis. I just hope it isn't too much, when it happens.

I'm concerned about illegal amounts of cannibus in the truck drivers systems in the USA.

I just realized they announced this on 4/20.

Well the CBO recently released report saying that the deficits are overestimated since they are based on incredibly pessimistic economic growth and oil prices.

So, the current Finance Minister claims the former Conservative government left the new government with a significant deficit and yet the CBO claims the former Conservative government has left the new government with a small surplus. So, right off the top, the current government and their Finance Minister are caught in a lie, or perhaps worse.

Secondly, as you note, the CBO claims the new government has overstated the size of the deficits they've budgeted for. This suggests further that either the current government and their Finance Minister are doubly dishonest and playing their supporters and the Canadian public at large as fools so that they can turn around later and claim they've been such good stewards of the country's finances that they've saved taxpayer money or, equally as bad and perhaps more likely, they're so totally incompetent and out of their league that they can't even complete a reasonably accurate budget and fiscal plan for their administration.

So, the current Finance Minister claims the former Conservative government left the new government with a significant deficit and yet the CBO claims the former Conservative government has left the new government with a small surplus. So, right off the top, the current government and their Finance Minister are caught in a lie, or perhaps worse.

Secondly, as you note, the CBO claims the new government has overstated the size of the deficits they've budgeted for. This suggests further that either the current government and their Finance Minister are doubly dishonest and playing their supporters and the Canadian public at large as fools so that they can turn around later and claim they've been such good stewards of the country's finances that they've saved taxpayer money or, equally as bad and perhaps more likely, they're so totally incompetent and out of their league that they can't even complete a reasonably accurate budget and fiscal plan for their administration.

Greetings, CJ! :2wave:

Are there plans that have been announced that call for increased spending? It seems strange that a newly elected government would see deficits looming this early in the game! :shock:

BC they generally ignore it.
But there are lessons to be learned from the US States that legalized it.
1 issue being edibles, content of THC, concentration of THC and people having to much.

If you are dealing grass, then you are in all probability dealing other drugs as well.

Big Biz is ready to go with the grow ops.

A bill to legalize marijuana will be introduced to Parliament in the spring of 2017...

Canada to introduce pot legalization legislation in 2017 - National | Globalnews.ca

So, should there be a moratorium on possession arrests? Should court cases be delayed until the new law is enacted?

Hooray Canada!

Notice that she announced the date at the United Nations on 4-20 day, the international day for the celebration of pot. Now THAT is class. As I write this, about 200,000 people are gathering at Sunset beach to smoke, vapor, sell and whatever with absolutely no police hassle.

If you are dealing grass, then you are in all probability dealing other drugs as well.

Not here. If you are dealing you are probably a grower or a partner in a grow op. I was just at the 4-20 festival and there was no evidence of any hard drugs other than a guy who had some "organic" mushrooms. Here the two camps don't mix, and most dispensaries won't have anything to do with the gangs who control hard drugs.

It has been one of the aspects in favor of legalizing as a brief was presented to all four parties in Canada, only the Liberals chose to hear them out.

I also expect somewhere in this, they will announce some research money for marijuana to look into it's healing properties more deeply.

Hooray Canada!

Notice that she announced the date at the United Nations on 4-20 day, the international day for the celebration of pot. Now THAT is class. As I write this, about 200,000 people are gathering at Sunset beach to smoke, vapor, sell and whatever with absolutely no police hassle.

Greetings, F&L. :2wave:

Unfortunately, it's also the day Hitler was born - April 20, 1889. I'm not going to start a thread for him on here, but couldn't she have picked another day? :shock:

Big Biz is ready to go with the grow ops.

Big business is already there, but not 'establishment' big business. Know that Marc Emery, the prince of pot who did six years in US prison still has "Cannibis Culture" and deep pockets. There are already chains starting up, and a group of doctor are behind another move.

It appears the feds are going to follow much of the Vancouver dispensary model, which has been working for over ten years now. I think we will also see some non-profit societies get the nod.

This is serious counter-culture we're seeing, I doubt the market would be happy if it want to drug stores.

Greetings, F&L. :2wave:

Unfortunately, it's also the day Hitler was born - April 20, 1889. I'm not going to start a thread for him on here, but couldn't she have picked another day? :shock:

"She?"

4-20 came into being in the 70's. It is said to have originated by a group of high school kids who would get together to get at high after school, which was always at 4:20. They came to be known by that name, one of the guys invented a new strain of high end weed, and another became an advocate.

So the date we do this became April 20, which is something likely every pot smoker knows, Hitler's birthday is perhaps a little too esoteric for most of them.

CBC radio provided live coverage at 20 minutes to four as everyone at Sunset Beach lit up. Have just heard the west end of Vancouver is a no go zone for all traffic, and all cell phone providers have announced there is no service across a 50 block swath from too many people trying to access service.

I'd say our health minister's announcement is going to be very popular.

Greetings, Grand Mal. :2wave:

They recently tried to legalize it in Ohio, and it failed - mostly because only a few people would have been given the authority to grow and sell it - IOW, your reference to very ugly people getting rich would have been the case. :thumbs: Had it been written that everyone that wanted to could grow their own, most people would probably have voted for it!

Back
Top Bottom