• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Canada says second citizen 'missing' in China

Bucky

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Beijing (AFP) - A second Canadian citizen who has been questioned by authorities in China is "presently missing", Canadian officials said Thursday, adding to tensions following the arrest of a top Chinese telecom executive on a US request in Vancouver.

The Canadian foreign ministry identified the second Canadian as Michael Spavor, a China-based business consultant who facilitates trips to North Korea, met with its leader Kim Jong Un and famously arranged some of retired NBA star Dennis Rodman's visits there.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/second-canadian-being-questioned-china-fm-freeland-235422957.html

If Chrystia Freeland is on the case, I could understand why the Chinese would hang up with her.

It looks like Trump will need to come to the rescue and help out little brother.

Last edited:
If Chrystia Freeland is on the case, I could understand why the Chinese would hang up with her.

Why would that be? Because she takes a hardline against authoritarians?

Only if little brother comes begging...and it's going to cost them.

Do you guys understand that the Chinese woman was arrested at your request?
Mark my words- that slimy coward you handed your country to will roll over for the Chinese. He'll back off on the extradition request and toss Canada under the bus.
The world is watching.

Only if little brother comes begging...and it's going to cost them.

Actually, since all this horse**** is due to keeping our word to you, I'm thinking you're the ones who should be expecting the bill. The easiest thing for us to do is tell you guys to go **** yourselves, and let this woman go. But we are keeping our word.

Get out a pen and paper, you can take notes on how to be a country with honor and integrity. #MAGA

Do you guys understand that the Chinese woman was arrested at your request?
Mark my words- that slimy coward you handed your country to will roll over for the Chinese. He'll back off on the extradition request and toss Canada under the bus.
The world is watching.

Trump isn't doing anything. He has nothing to do with this extradition request. Trump doesn't control the criminal cases that the DOJ deals with.

But you can be sure that Trump will use whatever presents itself to the advantage of our country.

Actually, since all this horse**** is due to keeping our word to you, I'm thinking you're the ones who should be expecting the bill. The easiest thing for us to do is tell you guys to go **** yourselves, and let this woman go. But we are keeping our word.

Get out a pen and paper, you can take notes on how to be a country with honor and integrity. #MAGA

Go ahead. Let her go. Seriously...do it. Do you think Trump cares?

Whatever Canada decides to do, they lose. Trump doesn't.

Trump isn't doing anything. He has nothing to do with this extradition request. Trump doesn't control the criminal cases that the DOJ deals with.

But you can be sure that Trump will use whatever presents itself to the advantage of our country.

Exactly. The slimy coward will roll over and present his underbelly to another despot. China will protest the arrest, Trump will instruct his DoJ to drop the extradition request and Canada will be tossed under the bus. That's the new reality when you deal with America.
The world is watching.

I assume you mean to the advantage of Donald J. Trump, but the sycophants likely equate the two as being the same.

Canada already decided. We honoured an obligation to our ally. Whether that ally deserves to be honoured will soon be seen.
What do you think? Does the US merit loyalty or will the extradition request not be followed up on?

Exactly. The slimy coward will roll over and present his underbelly to another despot. China will protest the arrest, Trump will instruct his DoJ to drop the extradition request and Canada will be tossed under the bus. That's the new reality when you deal with America.
The world is watching.

Since when does Trump tell the DOJ to do anything?

LOL!!

I assume you mean to the advantage of Donald J. Trump, but the sycophants likely equate the two as being the same.

You shouldn't assume things...you know what that does, right?

I say what I mean.

Canada already decided. We honoured an obligation to our ally. Whether that ally deserves to be honoured will soon be seen.
What do you think? Does the US merit loyalty or will the extradition request not be followed up on?

The choice is Canada's.

It was a very bad call on Canada’s part. The case against needs to be a lot stronger to take such extreme actions. And to blame it on the US is laughable – china certainly doesn’t see it that way.

shrug...

If you think the two are the same, make your case.

Snarky remarks don't help.

You've already made my case. You said Trump was going to do what is best for America. Therefore, you believe Trump's actions, regardless of their true intentions, are on behalf of serving America.

Not much else to say.

It was a very bad call on Canada’s part. The case against needs to be a lot stronger to take such extreme actions. And to blame it on the US is laughable – china certainly doesn’t see it that way.

The US put out an arrest warrant on her, Canada arrested her. How is Canada to blame in that situation?

A great message to send to your allies, given the only reason we lose is because we kept our word to a piece of **** president like Trump.

'The case' is the US's responsibility. The USA asked that she be arrested for extradition- she's changed planes in Vancouver so Canada arrested her. On behalf of an ally.
But I'm starting to agree that it was a bad move. We should have ignored the American request, or delayed a phone call or something to allow her to make her connection. Starting to look like the US doesn't merit the trust that Canada considers that allies show each other.

A great message to send to your allies, given the only reason we lose is because we kept our word to a piece of **** president like Trump.

You watch- that asshole is going to show himself to be the slimy coward we already know he is.
Step right up, folks- the American justice system is for sale to the highest bidder!

Seriously, what level of ignorance should we assume on your part, given that you still don't understand that this was done at America's request? Are you saying it was a very bad call for us to honor the obligations of our alliance? Cuz I sure as hell am starting to think so...

You watch- that asshole is going to show himself to be the slimy coward we already know he is.
Step right up, folks- the American justice system is for sale to the highest bidder!

Saudia Arabia got the better deal...they're only into the US for $100 billion and 600 000 jobs, and they got Trump's warm endorsement and get of jail free card. Though it does leave room for speculation what China will get, given how much more their bitch America is.

Back
Top Bottom