• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Canada Moves to Ban Discrimination Against Transgender People

Canada made the right move???

• Total voters

JANFU

Land by the Gulf Stream
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/18/w...-region&region=bottom-well&WT.nav=bottom-well

OTTAWA — Discrimination against transgender people will be formally banned across Canada, and crimes against them will be included in the country’s hate crimes law, under new legislation introduced on Tuesday by the Liberal government of Prime Minister Justin Trudeau.

The legislation comes at a time of intense debate over transgender rights in the United States, and it fulfills a pledge Mr. Trudeau made during his election campaign last year. The government timed the introduction of the bill to coincide with an International Day Against Homophobia, Transphobia and Biphobia.

The government’s proposals include changes to both the federal criminal code and the Canadian Human Rights Act. The changes to the criminal code will have a broader impact, because criminal law is solely a federal responsibility in Canada, while each province has its own human rights charter. Current law makes it a crime to make “hate propaganda” against members of specific groups; the proposed legislation would add transgender people to the list. It would also oblige judges to consider in sentencing decisions whether crimes were caused by or aggravated because of discrimination against transgender people.

So, in other words, it's a stiffer sentence if you beat up a transgendered guy for being transgendered than it is to beat up a straight guy for any other reason?

Hate crime laws are ridiculous.

Aren't the mentally ill already protected?

woah! watch out. people don't take kindly to unkind facts around here. you can't just go around calling a spade a spade. Oh great! now I'm in trouble. thanks a lot.

Yes....soon it will be considered an act of bigotry to not be attracted to a boy pretending to be a girl that is really a boy pretending to be a girl.

Getting the responses I expected.

Bravo, Canada. This is clearly the right move.

Life was so much better before we had to peek under skirts. I never in the past worried about the plumbing matching the mammary glands, or if someone had a uterus or a penis. I never thought Funky Cold Medina would be foreshadowing of a constant talking point.

So, I took her to my crib and everything went well as planned,
But when she got undressed, it was a big old mess, Sheena was a man

Life has gotten strange. Very very strange.

Oh, to answer your question, yeah, hate propaganda is bad, no matter who the recipient is (except animal abusers and baby seal hunters...they're fair game to be on the losing end of hate propaganda). I think trans people deserve the same protection that other people get. They've committed no crimes.

Aren't the mentally ill already protected?
Just in case you where unaware, being transgender is not a mental illness. DSM-5 does include gender dysphoria, which is not the same thing at all.

So, in other words, it's a stiffer sentence if you beat up a transgendered guy for being transgendered than it is to beat up a straight guy for any other reason?

You can always tell the guy that never bothered to read the OP.

The legislation comes at a time of intense debate over transgender rights in the United States, and it fulfills a pledge Mr. Trudeau made during his election campaign last year. The government timed the introduction of the bill to coincide with an International Day Against Homophobia, Transphobia and Biphobia.

Since you guys appear intent on going to war over bathrooms, Canada is reinforcing its commitment to civil rights for all in the face of a neighbor who is trying to crush those rights through state laws. There's nothing ridiculous in this situation apart from the fear mongering right wing who are blowing out the fuses over **** that has never, ever happened in the 15 years rights were first extended to transgendered.

Hate all you like, but they're people

I oppose hate crime laws in general, so I oppose this one. Not because it protects transgender people, but because I do not like hate crime laws for any group.

So you want the hated to go on being persecuted?

Sorry, but Canada's hate crime law is one of the most well respected in the world. And it works

So you want the hated to go on being persecuted?

Sorry, but Canada's hate crime law is one of the most well respected in the world. And it works

I will admit to not being an expert on Canada's hate crime laws. The US hate crime laws add additional penalties for things that are already a crime. Is it different in Canada?

I oppose hate crime laws in general, so I oppose this one. Not because it protects transgender people, but because I do not like hate crime laws for any group.

They are for those that attack a specific group based upon certain specifics.
Canada does not sentence people to the lengthy jail times that the US does.
I can clearly remember the days of Broom a coon, going into gay areas and beating the living crap out of them.
These crimes are targeting specific groups that have endured much persecution, and still do.
Only 18 years have passed since these 2 cases occurred.
Gay Man Beaten and Left for Dead - 2 Are Charged - NYTimes.com

LARAMIE, Wyo., Oct. 9— At first, the passing bicyclist thought the crumpled form lashed to a ranch fence was a scarecrow. But when he stopped, he found the burned, battered and nearly lifeless body of Matthew Shepard, an openly gay college student who had been tied to the fence 18 hours earlier.

Today, Mr. Shepard, a 22-year-old University of Wyoming student, was in a coma in critical condition. At the Albany County courthouse here, Russell A. Henderson, 21, and Aaron J. McKinney, 22, were arraigned on charges of kidnapping, aggravated robbery and attempted first-degree murder. Two women described as friends of the men, Kristen Leann Price, 18, and Chastity Vera Pasley, 20, have been charged as accessories after the fact to attempted first-degree murder.

Black Man Fatally Dragged In a Possible Racial Killing - NYTimes.com
DALLAS, June 9— A black man was dragged to his death on Sunday from the back of a pickup truck in a rural section of Texas known for racist and Klan activity, and today three white men were charged with the murder.

The broken body of James Byrd Jr., 49, was discovered on Sunday morning by residents of an area just outside the East Texas town of Jasper, population 8,000. As he walked home from his parents' house on Saturday night, Mr. Byrd was apparently picked up by the men sometime after midnight and taken to woods, where he was beaten, then chained to the truck and dragged for two miles.

"In other words" is one of the best clues that what follows are lies.

No, in hate crime cases, the prosecution has to actually convince a jury beyond a reasonable doubt that the perpetrator was motivated by racial prejudice; where that's true it's typically pretty easy because you'll have a bunch of witnesses who heard the perp shouting things like "die, you ****ing n-----" and a bunch of prior facebook posts full of racist statements by the perp.

I have more than had it with the beyond-ridiculous conservative narrative that somehow, it's white middle class straight males who are at the biggest disadvantage in this country.

You can always tell the guy that never bothered to read the OP.

Since you guys appear intent on going to war over bathrooms, Canada is reinforcing its commitment to civil rights for all in the face of a neighbor who is trying to crush those rights through state laws. There's nothing ridiculous in this situation apart from the fear mongering right wing who are blowing out the fuses over **** that has never, ever happened in the 15 years rights were first extended to transgendered.

Hate all you like, but they're people

Civil rights is a hard pill to swallow for way too many people, it seems. Not sure about Canadian history, with regards to their equivalent of the US's 1964 Civil Rights Act, but America has a butt load of folks would love to get back to the good old HATE day prior to the 1964 Civil Rights Act.

I don't have enough typing space in this thread segment to list all of the things people HATE about. It's amazing.

Civil rights is a hard pill to swallow for way too many people, it seems. Not sure about Canadian history, with regards to their equivalent of the US's 1964 Civil Rights Act, but America has a butt load of folks would love to get back to the good old HATE day prior to the 1964 Civil Rights Act.

I don't have enough typing space in this thread segment to list all of the things people HATE about. It's amazing.
Just breeze thru the Muslim threads. Posts there that are completely hateful and disgusting. Yet those that post that filth, believe they are open and fair minded.
Canada does have its shameful past when it comes to blatant discrimination. Thing is we are working thru that. A work in progress.

Two comments:

I find it a little odd that you would quote the New York Times for a story about a change in Canadian law - no Canadian news sources for this story?

It will be interesting to see if Liberals and the strongly weak on crime progressive judiciary in Canada will try to impose mandatory sentencing guidelines for such newly created and outlined crimes. The judiciary and Liberals/progressives in Canada seem to detest any guidelines for criminals who use guns in the commission of crimes but I'm sure they'll be all for mandatory sentencing by the PC police.

Yes....soon it will be considered an act of bigotry to not be attracted to a boy pretending to be a girl that is really a boy pretending to be a girl.

Yup, they can run around all day pretending to be what they're not looking to trick people and not get any trouble whatsoever, but tell them the truth about who they are and before long the government will be up your ass about it.

Two comments:

I find it a little odd that you would quote the New York Times for a story about a change in Canadian law - no Canadian news sources for this story?

It will be interesting to see if Liberals and the strongly weak on crime progressive judiciary in Canada will try to impose mandatory sentencing guidelines for such newly created and outlined crimes. The judiciary and Liberals/progressives in Canada seem to detest any guidelines for criminals who use guns in the commission of crimes but I'm sure they'll be all for mandatory sentencing by the PC police.
Nothing odd, I found it as I was reading the NY Times. Is that an issue?
Weak on crime- Harper and his sentences were overboard. Check the difference between sentences on 5 pot plants or 6 under Harper.
How is it that a man that was so against crime did nothing to change the laws, tighten them up on drunk drivers who kill more people than are murdered in Canada.
https://www.google.ca/search?q=gay+...KIq5eefmqRA#q=canada+death+from+drunk+driving
In 2010, it was estimated that 2,541 individuals were killed in motor vehicle crashes in Canada. MADD Canada estimates that at a minimum 1,082 of these fatalities were impairment-related. In MADD Canada’s opinion, the 1,082 figure is a conservative estimate, due to the underreporting that results from the inability to conduct alcohol tests on surviving impaired drivers and from the need to rely on police reports. Moreover, the figure underestimates the percentage of crash deaths that involve drugs. Thus, the recent sharp increases in driving after drug use have not been factored into the 1,082 figure.

Homicide in Canada, 2014

Back
Top Bottom