• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Canada Moves to Ban Discrimination Against Transgender People

Canada made the right move???

• Total voters
So there is an international day against things that don't exist? Cool. I see it doesn't include unicorns though. That's racist. :lol:

So there is an international day against things that don't exist? Cool. I see it doesn't include unicorns though. That's racist. :lol:

WTH are you referring to?

Civil rights is a hard pill to swallow for way too many people, it seems. Not sure about Canadian history, with regards to their equivalent of the US's 1964 Civil Rights Act, but America has a butt load of folks would love to get back to the good old HATE day prior to the 1964 Civil Rights Act.

I don't have enough typing space in this thread segment to list all of the things people HATE about. It's amazing.

You mean because the civil rights act violates the right to association.

Nothing odd, I found it as I was reading the NY Times. Is that an issue?
Weak on crime- Harper and his sentences were overboard. Check the difference between sentences on 5 pot plants or 6 under Harper.
How is it that a man that was so against crime did nothing to change the laws, tighten them up on drunk drivers who kill more people than are murdered in Canada.
https://www.google.ca/search?q=gay+...KIq5eefmqRA#q=canada+death+from+drunk+driving

Homicide in Canada, 2014

That's fine, if you think getting your Canadian government news through the NYTs filter is cool, it's all good.

Secondly, why would the Conservative government move any further to increase or create mandatory sentencing in drunk driving cases when the Canadian judiciary doesn't impose to the extent of the sentencing guidelines that currently exist? That would be a total waste of time. And when you have a Supreme Court that believes it's their role to create or defeat legislation and not Parliament's, what's the point? You can blame it on the Conservatives if you want, but you'd be naively blind and wrong.

WTH are you referring to?

The government timed the introduction of the bill to coincide with an International Day Against Homophobia, Transphobia and Biphobia.

Look all those things that don't exist, just look at them.

So you want the hated to go on being persecuted?

Sorry, but Canada's hate crime law is one of the most well respected in the world. And it works

Here is what I found when I just now looked it up: What is a hate crime? - Canada - CBC News. I figured the CBC is probably a decent, reliable source. Is that the case?

From the source:

The Criminal Code of Canada says a hate crime is committed to intimidate, harm or terrify not only a person, but an entire group of people to which the victim belongs. The victims are targeted for who they are, not because of anything they have done.

I am uncertain why you would need a separate law for when such actions affect a group. Intimidation, harm and terrorizing any one should be, and I think usually is, a crime in most countries. My question is why is that not enough? I am not specifically against that as worded, I am just mildly puzzled by it.

The source continues:

A hate crime is one in which hate is the motive and can involve intimidation, harassment, physical force or threat of physical force against a person, a group or a property

I really do not like motivation as part of the definition of a crime. If you beat some one up, does it affect them that you did it because you hated their skin color(or whatever) as opposed to some other reason? I realize that there are some big issues with what I just said(many crimes have different penalties based on motive for one), but that is kinda my general feeling.

The source continues again:

In Canada it is also a crime to incite hatred. Sections 318 and 319 are the relevant sections of the Criminal Code.

Under Section 318, it is a criminal act to "advocate or promote genocide" — to call for, support, encourage or argue for the killing of members of a group based on colour, race, religion, ethnic origin or sexual orientation.

Section 319 deals with publicly stirring up or inciting hatred against an identifiable group based on colour, race, religion, ethnic origin or sexual orientation.

Since it gives me a direct reference to the law, here it is: Criminal Code

This to me goes too far in limiting free speech. I can understand inciting people to engage in genocide or acts of violence being illegal, but after that, to my mind free speech should be too important to limit for this.

Note: not trying to pick a fight or whatever with this post. You let me know basically that Canada's hate crime laws where not quite what I thought, so thank you in fact. The rest is me basically musing to myself on what I am reading kinda thing.

You can always tell the guy that never bothered to read the OP.

Since you guys appear intent on going to war over bathrooms, Canada is reinforcing its commitment to civil rights for all in the face of a neighbor who is trying to crush those rights through state laws. There's nothing ridiculous in this situation apart from the fear mongering right wing who are blowing out the fuses over **** that has never, ever happened in the 15 years rights were first extended to transgendered.

Hate all you like, but they're people

People have the right to discriminate. People on the left have to stop violating peoples rights while claiming they're doing the opposite.

That's fine, if you think getting your Canadian government news through the NYTs filter is cool, it's all good.

Secondly, why would the Conservative government move any further to increase or create mandatory sentencing in drunk driving cases when the Canadian judiciary doesn't impose to the extent of the sentencing guidelines that currently exist? That would be a total waste of time. And when you have a Supreme Court that believes it's their role to create or defeat legislation and not Parliament's, what's the point? You can blame it on the Conservatives if you want, but you'd be naively blind and wrong.

No min sentences what so ever. The laws are open where 35 % approx, those with the money get off.
Does it matter where I get Canadian news. Seems to be a sore point with you?

Yeah, that one...and sorry, I don't agree with your hatred for our civil right act.

Then you agree that people have a right to choose who they associate with.

Oh right, you don't agree with that at all.

Here is what I found when I just now looked it up: What is a hate crime? - Canada - CBC News. I figured the CBC is probably a decent, reliable source. Is that the case?

This to me goes too far in limiting free speech. I can understand inciting people to engage in genocide or acts of violence being illegal, but after that, to my mind free speech should be too important to limit for this.

Your confusion lies in the fact you believe that there is such a thing as free speech in Canada - that's where you're wrong. With the advent of our many Human Rights Commissions at the Federal and Provincial levels, people are routinely under investigation and fined for what you in America would consider differences of opinion.

Now, if you want to hold a rally to condemn Israel and call for its destruction, feel free to do so in Canada and apply for a grant from one of many levels of government while you're at it.

If you want to hold a rally to spread Islamic fundamentalism, feel free to do so in Canada and apply for a grant from one of the many levels of government while you're at it but don't apply for a permit to sing Christmas hymns in a public square if any of them mention Jesus or Christ.

No min sentences what so ever. The laws are open where 35 % approx, those with the money get off.
Does it matter where I get Canadian news. Seems to be a sore point with you?

Was just making a point. I doubt that an American would seek out the Toronto Star or the Times of London to post up a story about the US Congress. But hey, it just seemed odd to me - no big deal.

So, you're ticked that people with money can afford to seek superior representation or are you claiming that the Canadian judiciary gets bought? Irrational envy of the rich is a constant theme of the left, unfortunately.

Was just making a point. I doubt that an American would seek out the Toronto Star or the Times of London to post up a story about the US Congress. But hey, it just seemed odd to me - no big deal.

So, you're ticked that people with money can afford to seek superior representation or are you claiming that the Canadian judiciary gets bought? Irrational envy of the rich is a constant theme of the left, unfortunately.

I stated the law had to many open ends. Now you turn it into the rich, I mentioned those with money can afford to go to court. Should the law not be evenhanded. Are there to many acquittals? Did you even bother to check? Did you check on Harper's sentence differences on 5 v 6 pot plants?

woah! watch out. people don't take kindly to unkind facts around here. you can't just go around calling a spade a spade. Oh great! now I'm in trouble. thanks a lot.

The foundation has already been laid to remove pedophilia from the list of mental illnesses.

I stated the law had to many open ends. Now you turn it into the rich, I mentioned those with money can afford to go to court. Should the law not be evenhanded. Are there to many acquittals? Did you even bother to check? Did you check on Harper's sentence differences on 5 v 6 pot plants?

How long before pedophilia is normalized and the breed'n age is lowered to 12 y/o, in Canada?

Your confusion lies in the fact you believe that there is such a thing as free speech in Canada - that's where you're wrong. With the advent of our many Human Rights Commissions at the Federal and Provincial levels, people are routinely under investigation and fined for what you in America would consider differences of opinion.

Now, if you want to hold a rally to condemn Israel and call for its destruction, feel free to do so in Canada and apply for a grant from one of many levels of government while you're at it.

If you want to hold a rally to spread Islamic fundamentalism, feel free to do so in Canada and apply for a grant from one of the many levels of government while you're at it but don't apply for a permit to sing Christmas hymns in a public square if any of them mention Jesus or Christ.

I sure am sorry you all have to put up with that.

How long before pedophilia is normalized and the breed'n age is lowered to 12 y/o, in Canada?

Nonsense, but I am used to seeing such posts on this thread.

The foundation has already been laid to remove pedophilia from the list of mental illnesses.

My guess is that will be on the SJW/other Pro-"Inclusive" groups' agendas for next year.

Yup, they can run around all day pretending to be what they're not looking to trick people and not get any trouble whatsoever, but tell them the truth about who they are and before long the government will be up your ass about it.

Oh FFS. Let's make **** up shall we?

Back
Top Bottom