• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Canada GDP up in May

Grand Mal

Russian warship, go f*** yourself!
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
"Canada's gross domestic product was up a record 4.5% in May, following two months of unprecedented declines, and the economy is expected to grow by 5% in June, StatsCan said. The May gain beat analyst expectations of 3.5%. It was the largest monthly gain since the series began in 1961."

Canada Second-Quarter GDP Likely to Fall Record 12% on COVID-19 Shutdowns - The New York Times.

Cautious optimism. If we continue to step carefully we might be about to put this behind us.

"Canada's gross domestic product was up a record 4.5% in May, following two months of unprecedented declines, and the economy is expected to grow by 5% in June, StatsCan said. The May gain beat analyst expectations of 3.5%. It was the largest monthly gain since the series began in 1961."

Canada Second-Quarter GDP Likely to Fall Record 12% on COVID-19 Shutdowns - The New York Times.

Cautious optimism. If we continue to step carefully we might be about to put this behind us.

To be honest, I'm nervous. The obsession we're seeing with getting kids back to class (rather than prioritizing remote learning, despite it being an option) will lead to a second wave that I'm not sure we're prepared for. This is the eye of the storm...we should be using the time to prepare, but instead we're all going sailing. Here's hoping we flattened the curve enough...but I'm not sending my kid back to class to be the canary in the mine.

To be honest, I'm nervous. The obsession we're seeing with getting kids back to class (rather than prioritizing remote learning, despite it being an option) will lead to a second wave that I'm not sure we're prepared for. This is the eye of the storm...we should be using the time to prepare, but instead we're all going sailing. Here's hoping we flattened the curve enough...but I'm not sending my kid back to class to be the canary in the mine.

Well, Canada is doing much better than your homies here south of you.

Well, Canada is doing much better than your homies here south of you.

Yes, this is true. But that was due to a federal leadership strategy that is currently being abandoned by our provincial governments - particularly in Ontario, which is under, surprise surprise, conservative control. From what I've read, America actually has a better back to school plan in place - I mean, it's totally unfeasible, and the recommendations are almost impossible to implement, but the plan itself is better.

Yes, this is true. But that was due to a federal leadership strategy that is currently being abandoned by our provincial governments - particularly in Ontario, which is under, surprise surprise, conservative control. From what I've read, America actually has a better back to school plan in place - I mean, it's totally unfeasible, and the recommendations are almost impossible to implement, but the plan itself is better.

It's going to be a total mess.

It's going to be a total mess.

Yep. This whole pandemic thing has taught me that sometimes you have to lead yourself. I'm grateful that our government has at least given us the option to hold our kids back, albeit with no financial support to do so. I'm privileged to have the ability to change my life to where we can be at home with him - it means some financial sacrifice, and a lot of figuring out, but it's doable. My heart breaks for the families that cannot do this, or will not, because they're still believing that the government has their best interests at heart.

But...you know...the economy.

Yep. This whole pandemic thing has taught me that sometimes you have to lead yourself. I'm grateful that our government has at least given us the option to hold our kids back, albeit with no financial support to do so. I'm privileged to have the ability to change my life to where we can be at home with him - it means some financial sacrifice, and a lot of figuring out, but it's doable. My heart breaks for the families that cannot do this, or will not, because they're still believing that the government has their best interests at heart.

At least you've got your child close with you. Good luck, my Canadian homeslice! :kissy:

The distance learning provided for my sons grade 4 class was horrible. A meet with the teacher once every three days. Assignments with very poor instruction. Luckily my father in law and mother in law were home to provide better math instruction than what the school did. It would have to drastically improve if it is to continue next year. Or a lot of students will fall very behind on learning

Ditto for much of Europe and Asia, too. China is up 3% for the year, even with the Covid crisis.

The plan is total bull**** if there's no teeth to mandate it. It's nothing more than public relations, of a very bad type.

The issue with school isn’t so much the schooling itself although that’s probably #2 reason why Politicians are pushing so hard for this.

It’s really about Childcare so people can work, that’s actually the primary motive and I’m really torn on it, but ultimately I think I will have to bite the bullet and send my kid to school, but at this moment I’m not even worrying about it in the sense that, so much could change between now and September that I do not take it as a given that the schools will actually open.

As far as the GDP numbers, it’s a good sign but again, one must remain vigilant and weary of a sudden resurgence on a bigger scale, especially as the weather turns later this year and people get more lax before that and think “we’ve got it under control so it’s all good”.

My heart goes out to the single working Moms ...

The issue with school isn’t so much the schooling itself although that’s probably #2 reason why Politicians are pushing so hard for this.

It’s really about Childcare so people can work, that’s actually the primary motive and I’m really torn on it, but ultimately I think I will have to bite the bullet and send my kid to school, but at this moment I’m not even worrying about it in the sense that, so much could change between now and September that I do not take it as a given that the schools will actually open.

As far as the GDP numbers, it’s a good sign but again, one must remain vigilant and weary of a sudden resurgence on a bigger scale, especially as the weather turns later this year and people get more lax before that and think “we’ve got it under control so it’s all good”.

Are the hotels busy?

The plan is total bull**** if there's no teeth to mandate it. It's nothing more than public relations, of a very bad type.

For sure. But at least someone had the balls to put it in writing.

You got the like, because you're right, schooling is not the issue, the economy is. Which is ****ed.

I understand that a lot of folks will not have the opportunity to take advantage of the distance learning option - make no mistake, so do the governments. Hopefully I did not come off as being judgemental of parents who will opt to send their kids back. But I would strongly urge any parents who are struggling with this to do what they can to avoid it - if you have a doubt regarding your child's safety, there is no doubt about what you should do. The heart breaking part is that should and can are too very different things. Sincere wishes for safety for you and yours, bud.

For sure. But at least someone had the balls to put it in writing.
It's not "balls", "guts", etc. It's the denial of responsibility. They're just throwing us to the wind, and covering their asses. Nothing, more. It's all this administration does - political theatre. Identify a problem, and spin it to absolve themselves of responsibility. Spin, spin, spin, and nothing of substance. They don't even try. Spin mode is the first & only response.

My heart goes out to the single working Moms ...

Yup. Mine too. Or poor families that need two low paying jobs to keep afloat. There are a lot of people who are being left behind...the same ones that are always left behind. For a sec there, I thought this pandemic might change that. That was stupid of me.

Are the hotels busy?

Don’t have anything to do with that anymore.

From what I understand that place is doing alright, the big issue is the Lack of foreign labor will make it very difficult to staff those places (which was already a massive problem once TFW and sponsorship became more expensive and more difficult), especially housekeeping in a place that’s already completely unaffordable to live in, if business picked up too much they’d be absolutely ****ed to keep up.

The lack of tour busses is a massive problem for revenue for basically everyone, but from what I’ve understood and seen, there is a bit of a pickup from BC and AB visitors.

Lots of people I knew laid off though.

It's not "balls", "guts", etc. It's the denial of responsibility. They're just throwing us to the wind, and covering their asses. Nothing, more. It's all this administration does - political theatre.

The government, yes. I'm talking about the CDC guidelines for opening schools.

You got the like, because you're right, schooling is not the issue, the economy is. Which is ****ed.

I understand that a lot of folks will not have the opportunity to take advantage of the distance learning option - make no mistake, so do the governments. Hopefully I did not come off as being judgemental of parents who will opt to send their kids back. But I would strongly urge any parents who are struggling with this to do what they can to avoid it - if you have a doubt regarding your child's safety, there is no doubt about what you should do. The heart breaking part is that should and can are too very different things. Sincere wishes for safety for you and yours, bud.

I am deeply concerned and I hate this choice, but the distance learning was so atrocious that I, personally am really concerned about the long term effects on my kids education, especially since it’s French so, very difficult, but again I’m not stressing about it just yet as we start to see upticks and major opposition to the plans across the nation, who knows what could happen closer to September, not worried yet, may not even happen.

I am deeply concerned and I hate this choice, but the distance learning was so atrocious that I, personally am really concerned about the long term effects on my kids education, especially since it’s French so, very difficult, but again I’m not stressing about it just yet as we start to see upticks and major opposition to the plans across the nation, who knows what could happen closer to September, not worried yet, may not even happen.

For what it's worth, it would appear that the distance learning going forward will be different than what they slapped together at the end of last school year. I'm sorry, I forget what province you're in...but in Ontario, they have dedicated teachers for "real time" distance learning. I'm not sure what that means yet, they've promised to release the details within the coming days.

I agree, what they got to finish out the year was a bit of a joke, but I can forgive them for that, given the sudden nature of the issue.

Don’t have anything to do with that anymore.

From what I understand that place is doing alright, the big issue is the Lack of foreign labor will make it very difficult to staff those places (which was already a massive problem once TFW and sponsorship became more expensive and more difficult), especially housekeeping in a place that’s already completely unaffordable to live in, if business picked up too much they’d be absolutely ****ed to keep up.

The lack of tour busses is a massive problem for revenue for basically everyone, but from what I’ve understood and seen, there is a bit of a pickup from BC and AB visitors.

Lots of people I knew laid off though.

Still out in the mountains?

For what it's worth, it would appear that the distance learning going forward will be different than what they slapped together at the end of last school year. I'm sorry, I forget what province you're in...but in Ontario, they have dedicated teachers for "real time" distance learning. I'm not sure what that means yet, they've promised to release the details within the coming days.

I agree, what they got to finish out the year was a bit of a joke, but I can forgive them for that, given the sudden nature of the issue.

Alberta’s sucked, and right now they are planning on having in school teaching. I doubt they are putting much effort into distance learning right now, so if they go that route I expect a poor learning experience at least at elementary levels.

Our Premier is just as bad as some US governors. He stated that we should not be to concerned about Covid 19 because the majority of deaths were among people older than 82 and the life expectancy is 81.

The government, yes. I'm talking about the CDC guidelines for opening schools.
Ah, O.K. Fair enough.

Yes, the CDC is really in a pickle under Trump. Biden promised - if elected - he would put Fauci in charge of the pandemic response, and give him free reign & independence to get the job done. That alone is reason enough to vote 'Biden'.

Back
Top Bottom