• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Canada designates Proud Boys as terrorist organization beside Isis and al-Qaida (2/3/21)

Canada does not have a First Amendment that protects their speech?

You're welcome. :cool:

Proud Boys Listed As A Terrorist Group In Canada : NPR

Canada has a constitutional protection for freedom of expression just like we do:

2. Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms:

(a) freedom of conscience and religion;

(b) freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication;

(c) freedom of peaceful assembly; and

(d) freedom of association.

Just out of interest, what terrorist acts have the "Proud Boys" committed? I looked it up but could find nothing that properly fits the Canadian Government's definition of terrorism. Are we now putting hate-groups on the terrorist list proactively or did I miss something? The Capitol on Jan. 6th, 2021 was not terrorism but riotous behaviour and arguably an attempted insurrection. If an international rights organisation was found to have participated in a violent occupation of the Kremlin in an anti-Putin demonstration which became riotous, would we put them on the terrorist list too, I wonder? Are we diluting and trivialising the danger of terrorism by putting hate-groups in the same legal box?

Cheers and be well.
Evilroddy.
You mean it's sufficient to know which door bell to ring, after someone (of them) has gone beyond speech?

Dunno how the classification is handled over your way, but here those so designated get on an intelligence watch list.

Should have happened (to cite one example coming to mind) in Germany where a known right-wing hate spouter wasn't listed.

Well, he's listed now, seeing how he used his freedom from suppression to shoot a local politician in the head.

I usually enjoy your posts, but this one ..................................:rolleyes:

Canada has a constitutional protection for freedom of expression just like we do:

(b) freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication;

So you are saying what I quoted from NPR is incorrect then?

The intl. rights org. you refer to would have all been killed by Putin’s troopers. Did you miss the tens of thousands who’ve already been arrested?

Linc:

I think you missed the point about my hypothetical situation. The slaughter you conjured up is just avoiding my question. When is violence not terrorism? Should all violence be construed as terrorism?

Cheers and be well.
Evilroddy.

Linc:

I think you missed the point about my hypothetical situation. The slaughter you conjured up is just avoiding my question. When is violence not terrorism? Should all violence be construed as terrorism?

Cheers and be well.
Evilroddy.
Violence against terrorists, if unavoidable, shouldn't.

Hurray for 1A! I'm sure the "Proud Boys" (I still don't understand why they'd make themselves sound like a boy band, but whatever) were what the founders had in mind...hehe...

Yes, Hip Hip Hooray that I live in the USA where it's not as easy to tag others terrorists because of that pesky thing known as the first amendment.

If you bothered to read the NPR link I provided, you'd already know this.
Thanks for visiting the USA, please do come again. :)

Yes, Hip Hip Hooray that I live in the USA where it's not as easy to tag others terrorists because of that pesky thing known as the first amendment.

If you bothered to read the NPR link I provided, you'd already know this.
Thanks for visiting the USA, please do come again. :)

So you support the BDS movement then?

Linc:

Cheers and be well.
Evilroddy.
Trump’s insurrectionists were ONE MINUTE from getting to Pence AND the 3 containers with electoral votes.

The SecDef ordered the National Guard to stand down while Trump, Rudy, Hawley, Junior, and Brooks fired up the crowd to march on the Capitol.

I reject those minimizing what Trump did. Pretty sick that we can’t even get cowardly GOPs to vote for Censure.

SouthernDemocrat:

While the rights and freedoms you listed in sections 2 and 7-15 of our Charter of Rights (constitution), section 33 of our charter allows the federal government or any provincial government to over ride those protections.
Section 33 can override rights in sections 2 and 7 to 15, including fundamental freedoms, legal rights and equality. Accordingly, governments can override our:

• freedom of conscience and religion;
  • freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press;
  • freedom of peaceful assembly;
  • freedom of association; and
  • right to life, liberty and personal security.
So, there you go. You're both right and wrong. Welcome to Canada!

Cheers and be well.
Evilroddy.

The interesting thing (and a very ironic one at that) rests in the fact that even Nazis appear to think that Nazis are bad.

That's at least the only explanation I can think of for their getting their panties in a wad, every time they're called Nazis.

I like truth in advertising.

Not from what I see on RT. Reich-wingers throughout the EU are shown by RT protesting and marching, especially against COVID restrictions. Sound familiar?

RT trashes the UK the most. It sucks to watch this shit plus newsmax, but I’ve always believed it’s important to see/hear what’s on these Fox channels.

I don't watch any of it anymore. It makes them money, and who even knows what sort of data mining Russian sources are engaged in.

Trump’s insurrectionists were ONE MINUTE from getting to Pence AND the 3 containers with electoral votes.

The SecDef ordered the National Guard to stand down while Trump, Rudy, Hawley, Junior, and Brooks fired up the crowd to march on the Capitol.

I reject those minimizing what Trump did. Pretty sick that we can’t even get cowardly GOPs to vote for Censure.

Linc:

I agree with you about President Trump, his coterie of sycophants, and the craven GOP, but again you're going down a tangent. When is violence terrorism? Is hate without violence terrorism? Is hate with violence terrorism?

Cheers and be well.
Evilroddy.

Last edited:

Move follows allegations that the rightwing group played a role in the mob attack on the US Capitol in January

Canada has designated the far-right Proud Boys group as a terrorist organization alongside Isis and al-Qaida, amid growing concerns over the spread of white supremacist groups in the country.

On Wednesday Bill Blair, public safety minister, also announced the federal government would designate the white nationalist and neo-Nazi groups the Atomwaffen Division, the Base and the Russian Imperial Movement as terrorist entities. The federal government also added offshoots of al-Qaida, Isis and Hizbul Mujahedin to its list.

“Canada will not tolerate ideological, religious or politically motivated acts of violence,” Blair said.
=========================================================================
I hope they get the message.

I saw a bit on the PB last night. The PB showed up first & organized themselves into squad formations, just like a military assault. The piece IDed the guy with the radio on his patterned jacket & the guy next to him with the radio on his vest. These were the leaders of at least one squad.View attachment 67316604
I can understand how the proud boys can be seen as terrorism if you’re a beta male like Trudeau.

Linc:

I agree with you about President Trump, his coterie of sycophants, and the craven GOP, but again you're going down a tangent. When is violence terrorism? Is hate without violence terrorism? Is hate with violence terrorism.

Cheers and be well.
Evilroddy.
You could have asked that of the brown shirts when they were still alive. Alas, now it's too late.

As an upside though, at least as far as your enlightenment is concerned,

" The bitch that bore them is on heat again.”

You mean it's sufficient to know which door bell to ring, after someone (of them) has gone beyond speech?

Dunno how the classification is handled over your way, but here those so designated get on an intelligence watch list.

Should have happened (to cite one example coming to mind) in Germany where a known right-wing hate spouter wasn't listed.

Well, he's listed now, seeing how he used his freedom from suppression to shoot a local politician in the head.

I usually enjoy your posts, but this one ..................................:rolleyes:

Chagos:

Your post above is a little light on details. Could you provide me with a name or a source about "he" or the shot politician so I can figure out what you're on about please?

Being on a terrorist list in Canada makes membership in a listed organisation a crime. It makes supporting such an organisation a crime and it makes publicly popularising, glorifying or defending the actions of such a listed organisation a crime too. It's much more than just being put on a watch list which the Proud Boys have been on for several years already.

Sorry for disappointing you, but life can be cruel.

Cheers and be well.
Evilroddy.

Violence against terrorists, if unavoidable, shouldn't.

Chagos:

Here we are in full agreement. But we must stick to "unavoidable" and not widen its definition to convenient or expedient.

Cheers and be well.
Evilroddy.

Chagos:

Your post above is a little light on details. Could you provide me with a name or a source about "he" or the shot politician so I can figure out what you're on about please?

Being on a terrorist list in Canada makes membership in a listed organisation a crime. It makes supporting such an organisation a crime and it makes publicly popularising, glorifying or defending the actions of such a listed organisation a crime too. It's much more than just being put on a watch list which the Proud Boys have been on for several years already.
That's what I said, basically.

Germany may, for all I know, differ from Canada (equally for all I know ) but the politician in question was

Walther Lübcke
The murder of Walter Lübcke occurred on 2 June 2019 in Istha near Kassel: The district president Walter Lübcke was killed in front of his home with a shot from close range in the head. On 15 June 2019, Hessian right-wing extremist Stephan Ernst was arrested as the prime suspect. On June 25, 2019 he made a confession, which he recanted on 2 July 2019. He was convicted January 28, 2021.[1]

Lübcke had campaigned for the admittance of refugees and had opposed the agitation against them by the Kagida, the Kassel offshoot of Pegida, at a public meeting in October 2015. After that, he received numerous death threats.

Lübcke's killing, its background and consequences are the subject of a broad public debate in Germany. Right-wing terrorism, executed by Combat 18 and related structures of fascists, got more observers. Discussions include the German security authorities' knowledge of the suspects, the possible co-responsibility of the right-wing populist Alternative for Germany (AfD) for the murder, the CDU's relationship with the AfD, increasing attacks on local politicians and the lack of prosecution of hate crime in social networks.

Chagos:

Here we are in full agreement. But we must stick to "unavoidable" and not widen its definition to convenient or expedient.

Cheers and be well.
Evilroddy.
d'accord.

That's what I said, basically.

Germany may, for all I know, differ from Canada (equally for all I know ) but the politician in question was

Walther Lübcke

Chagos:

Thank you for the link and name.

Stephan Ernst had nothing to do with the Proud Boys but was a self-avowed member of Combat 18. However Combat 18 is not listed on our terrorist organisation list while the Proud Boys are. I have found no evidence that the Proud Boys have done anything which meets the Canadian Government's definition of Terrorism but they are on the list. You have provided me with evidence that Combat 18 has committed a political assassination, arguably an act of terrorism, through their agent Stephan Ernst but C18 is not on our list as yet. I think that this dichotomy justifies me asking the questions I am asking about what Canada is doing and why.

Cheers and be well.
Evilroddy.

Chagos:

Thank you for the link and name.

Stephan Ernst had nothing to do with the Proud Boys but was a self-avowed member of Combat 18. However Combat 18 is not listed on our terrorist organisation list while the Proud Boys are. I have found no evidence that the Proud Boys have done anything which meets the Canadian Government's definition of Terrorism but they are on the list. You have provided me with evidence that Combat 18 has committed a political assassination, arguably an act of terrorism, through their agent Stephan Ernst but C18 is not on our list as yet. I think that this dichotomy justifies me asking the questions I am asking about what Canada is doing and why.

Cheers and be well.
Evilroddy.
I refer you back to my post #27, first sentence.

As for the rest, Combat 18 is not, to my knowledge, active in Canada but maybe your authorities should keep an eye open.

Just as Proud Boys have no chapter in Europe (also to the best of my knowledge) but they'll find attention if they create one. Which, incidentally, in Canada they have, long since.

Yeah, there's a limit in Canada... That whole politeness thing demands it...hehe.. Plus it sort of helps that even our conservatives frown on the whole blatant white supremacy thing...

They're not perfect, but at least they're sort of aware of right and wrong...

Hate speech laws are pretty interesting in Canada. Without going into the whole lecture, you basically have to be a true true piece of shit to be impacted by them. I like the balance we've reached.
Very cool. Don't want to offend that black guy that lives there.

Move follows allegations that the rightwing group played a role in the mob attack on the US Capitol in January

Canada has designated the far-right Proud Boys group as a terrorist organization alongside Isis and al-Qaida, amid growing concerns over the spread of white supremacist groups in the country.

On Wednesday Bill Blair, public safety minister, also announced the federal government would designate the white nationalist and neo-Nazi groups the Atomwaffen Division, the Base and the Russian Imperial Movement as terrorist entities. The federal government also added offshoots of al-Qaida, Isis and Hizbul Mujahedin to its list.

“Canada will not tolerate ideological, religious or politically motivated acts of violence,” Blair said.
=========================================================================
I hope they get the message.

I saw a bit on the PB last night. The PB showed up first & organized themselves into squad formations, just like a military assault. The piece IDed the guy with the radio on his patterned jacket & the guy next to him with the radio on his vest. These were the leaders of at least one squad.View attachment 67316604

I applaud Canada for calling out the extremist Proud Boys group for what it is.

I sometimes think Canada is the best hope for North America.

Back
Top Bottom