• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Canada and the USA

Hicup

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
Hey all,

I was just wonderin what some of you thought, or have considered the differences between Canada and the USA?

I was born and raised in Canada, lived there for 26 years, in every province, and visited both (At the time) territories.

I moved to the USA in 1996 and I LOVE this country, and would fight to keep her the way she is, but, I also LOVE Canada, and would do the same for her.

Some observations of the two from my perspective are:

1. I feel safer in Canada.
2. People in Canada, as a rule are more laid back.
3. People in Canada, as a rule, are more helpful to their neighbors.
4. There's more diversity in commerce, in Canada, although, capitalism seems more free in the USA.
5. Things cost more in Canada, even though their dollar has been pretty much on par with the US dollar for over a year now.
6. The quality of healthcare in Canada is inferior to that of the USA. Compare the average hospital appearance in Canada to that of the USA, and they're worlds apart.
7. Canadian's IMO are generally more patriotic than their counter-parts in the US.
8. Canadians smoke more than Americans do, and stronger cigarettes.
9. People are fatter in the USA.
10. American's have no clue how good French fries and vinegar is, or gravy.. :)
11. Family structure is the same for both nations, and both nations treasure their loved ones the same.

I'll stop here, anyone disagree with any of that, or can you add your own?

Tim-

Hic in red. Me in black.

1. I feel safer in Canada. Don't know the difference between the two as I have never lived there. But would imagine it would have a great deal to do with location. I know in the USA I would never feel safe in a big city. But where I do live I feel pretty safe. Safe enough to never lock any doors on the house or car.

2. People in Canada, as a rule are more laid back. Again I would have to say that it depends on where you live. Folks are pretty laid back here where I'm at.

3. People in Canada, as a rule, are more helpful to their neighbors. Same as above.

4. There's more diversity in commerce, in Canada, although, capitalism seems more free in the USA. No clue here.

5. Things cost more in Canada, even though their dollar has been pretty much on par with the US dollar for over a year now. Again no clue.

6. The quality of healthcare in Canada is inferior to that of the USA. Compare the average hospital appearance in Canada to that of the USA, and they're worlds apart. On this I can only go by what I have heard but from what I have heard I would have to agree with ya.

7. Canadian's IMO are generally more patriotic than their counter-parts in the US. Don't really know about that. Americans certainly show thier patriotism in a different way. But I wouldn't say that either one is more patriotic for their respective countries than the other.

8. Canadians smoke more than Americans do, and stronger cigarettes. No clue about this. :)

9. People are fatter in the USA. No idea about this either. But would have to agree that there are lots of fat Americans. Though this is changing.

10. American's have no clue how good French fries and vinegar is, or gravy.. :) I'm cool with gravy on french fries. Vinegar though? No thanks.

11. Family structure is the same for both nations, and both nations treasure their loved ones the same. Agreed.

Hey, Kal, what's up brother? :)

Tim-

Hey all,

I was just wonderin what some of you thought, or have considered the differences between Canada and the USA?

I was born and raised in Canada, lived there for 26 years, in every province, and visited both (At the time) territories.

I moved to the USA in 1996 and I LOVE this country, and would fight to keep her the way she is, but, I also LOVE Canada, and would do the same for her.

4. There's more diversity in commerce, in Canada, although, capitalism seems more free in the USA.
5. Things cost more in Canada, even though their dollar has been pretty much on par with the US dollar for over a year now.
6. The quality of healthcare in Canada is inferior to that of the USA. Compare the average hospital appearance in Canada to that of the USA, and they're worlds apart.
7. Canadian's IMO are generally more patriotic than their counter-parts in the US.
11. Family structure is the same for both nations, and both nations treasure their loved ones the same.

Tim-

I think lifestyles in the U.S. vary upon region. I live in New Jersey where everyone is going 100 mph all the time and people tend to be cut-throat and more interested in taking advantage of a neighbor than helping them. However, I have visited various places in the South and I have found people there to be much more friendly and helpful. I went to school with a girl from Oklahoma who ended up transferring because she said life was too fast-paced in Pennsylvania which IMO is a leisurely stroll compared to northern Jersey! I have also been to Boston and I have found many of the people in that city to be absolutely miserable. I also think southerners tend to be more patriotic than northerners. Of course this is only based on my own experiences and there are drawbacks to every area. I hope to visit Canada someday, I hear it is beautiful!

13. The Tragically Hip! Nuff said! :)

Tim-

I'd agree with most of the OP's assessment... except that my experience of American vs. Canadian health care has been the exact opposite.

Canada is whiter. Probably why you feel safer there, too.

Canada is whiter. Probably why you feel safer there, too.

What?

I live in Vancouver where it's 50% Asian. I grew up in Toronto where whites will be a minority by 2020.

I'm proud that Canada is one of our protectorates. It's much better than PR.

Hey all,

On many issues Canada lags behind what the US does by about 5 years or so. Canadians protect their territory, on one of many trips, I've seen Canadians deny entry of others, and quite rudely... one time because the guy had supposedly once used an alias at a protest, American police are ALOT more hardcore then in Canada... Arizona was the only place I've ever had a shotgun pointed at me... well, us... and it was just cause we were going a few miles over the limit (like 40 or so over).

That really depends on the locale... I know a number of areas in Canada where you don't go walking the streets at night... then again, oddly enough also in Arizona on the return trip, it seems we took a wrong turn... we got pulled over by an officer who told us that... then said "roll up your windows, lock your doors and don't stop even if someone steps in your way.

It's cause pot in Canada, unless it's in large quantities, "isn't worth the paperwork". I'm told that there are areas in the US where you're better off getting caught with crack or heroin then a doobie.

This also depends on locale I'm sure.

Canada is definitely more heavily taxed then the US.

It's funny because there's always american's trying to get free care in Canada, just as there are many canadians that go to the US for a private care...

Because Canada is inundated with American media, and so I wager the average canadian knows MUCH more then the average american about their counterpart. In Canada there was a TV show called 'talking to american's ' that aimed to point this out... getting people to sign global warming petitions because the 'national igloo is melting', 'stopping the toronto seal hunt (Toronto is only a couple hours from new york state, no seals outside the zoo)', even going up to GWBush and telling him about 'Prime minister Poutine'(which is what you call french fries with gravy and melted cheese).

Maybe the smokers do, but Canada is down to around 20-25% smokers...
8a - Drink stronger beer

Don't let that fool you into thinking that there aren't a good number of fatties in canada.

Ya, I once asked for vinegar for french fries and got a bottle of vinegar in a bottle that looked like cleaning solution.

I think that Canadians are more open to those that prefer families of two mommies or two daddies, but that might also depend on locale.

12. It's cold in Canada so are more eager to ... um... share body heat.

Tim-

I hate how many americans seem to think that canadians say 'aboot' or are lumberjacks and furtraders (maybe like 150 years ago)... the one sad but true canadian criticism I've seen is from South park...

"Follow the Only road" (the transcanada highways is the ONLY highway across canada... any other highway is only connected if the town / city you're headed to is off the road. And yes, there actually was two football teams... and yes, there really was a game of "Roughriders" vs "Rough riders".... I have no system of verification, but the extra large circumcision tool... shaped like a maple leaf... sounds like it could be at least half-truth.

What?

I live in Vancouver where it's 50% Asian. I grew up in Toronto where whites will be a minority by 2020.

Can we trade some of our white people for some of your Asians? :confused:

Canada gave us two gold medalists to play on our girls' hockey team. Therefore I shall not complain how you guys just run our party down here.

I've had gravy on french fries and didn't care for it. Salt and vinegar on fresh hot fries though? Delicious.

I've had gravy on french fries and didn't care for it. Salt and vinegar on fresh hot fries though? Delicious.

Now you need to try fries + gravy + cheese curds = poutine.

Mmmmm... artery clogging goodness!

Now you need to try fries + gravy + cheese curds = poutine.

Mmmmm... artery clogging goodness!

Good enough reason for me to NUKE CANADA!!!!!:mrgreen:

Good enough reason for me to NUKE CANADA!!!!!:mrgreen:

poutine.jpg

I'm already radioactive arrrgghhhhhhuuahhhh!

Buh bye

mushroom-cloud.jpg

:mrgreen::monkey

If you nuke Canada than those living Canadians will come down to the U.S. We don't want that now do we?

They'd melt in the texas heat like a popsicle:2razz:

fries and gravy = fantastic

KFC gravy on their crappy fries makes them ediable

KFC gravy on Macdonald fries would be heaven

Hey all,

Tim-

As for #1, I would say get the hell out of New York.

10. American's have no clue how good French fries and vinegar is, or gravy...

You've never been to the U.S. South, have you?

Back
Top Bottom