• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Canada, allies expect Biden to re-engage U.S. on world stage - Trudeau

The US never disengaged from that. We withdrew from some really problematic arrangements, and that's been very positive. Hopefully we can 're-engage' some of the partners we've alienated to an extent, but NOT get back into the plan of engaging in agreements that place greater limitations on us while simply costing us.
Which "problematic" arrangements? Those which Trump personally found distasteful because his nemesis, Obama, put them in place?

A reasonable agreement from the Trump administration?
Some would call any Trump agreement sacrilege!
(You know who you are)

Trump, in spite of his many personal faults and failings, appears to have known how to strike a deal; a deal where US interests were servers, yet the partner would also have some gain.
Or am I reading this wrong?

I think there's a general feeling that NAFTA did need to be updated. As for Trump's influence I think he got the ball rolling but like most things didn't get into the details much. The negotiators though knew their stuff and were able to arrive at something both sides could live with.

That would be Trump who screws everyone-even to the point of stealing millions in charity donations, and using that money for self-promotion. Deny it, I dare you.

I guess those children with cancer didn't need the donations as much as Trump needed a painting of himself.

I am so happy that Joe Biden is replacing incompetent Donald Trump, MBA (B.S. in BS).

I've lost faith in the Wharton School of Business because of Trump and Kushner and the Harvard and Yale
Law Schools due to Cruz and Hawley

Maybe Stanford University or Columbia University or Princeton University or University of Chicago produce higher quality attorneys

I hope that Biden doesn't endorse unnecessary spending.

Covid-19 relief spending is necessary. Lavish spending on other projects should be avoided.

Incompetent Trump has increased the Deficit dramatically.

I'm getting my first Covid-19 vaccination today because of my age. I am relieved !!

I'm looking forward to an adult being in charge and not embarrassing me by using full sentences and words that actually exist.
I'm not looking forward to going back to being the big spender of the word stage. One of the changes I agreed with was making other countries to pay their fair share. The other was trying to even out the trade deficit .

A reasonable agreement from the Trump administration?
Some would call any Trump agreement sacrilege!
(You know who you are)

Trump, in spite of his many personal faults and failings, appears to have known how to strike a deal; a deal where US interests were servers, yet the partner would also have some gain.
Or am I reading this wrong?

You are reading it wrong. Trump was desperate for a trade win and he backed off many of the things he wanted so he could say he got at least one thing done. The changes that did happen are mostly cosmetic or deal with trade dispute resolutions

Only in LW mega-cult cathecism

Did you decide your first come back was not good enough so you had to try again? Actually the first one was better, this one is just sort of sad

Trump insulted allies such as Canada on a regular basis. He treated NATO allies very badly. He attempted to all but extort enormous payment increases from allies such as South Korea, even as South Korea faces a grave threat from North Korea. He abandoned Syria’s Kurds who had played a pivotal role in helping defeat ISIS. He imposed protectionist tariffs on allies. He withdrew the United States from the Paris Climate Accord. He withdrew the United States from the World Health Organization during a rapidly rising pandemic. He abandoned the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) Agreement.

For one example of his mistreatment of allies, CNN reported:

Trump is demanding that South Korea pay roughly 400% more in 2020 to cover the cost of keeping US troops on the peninsula, a congressional aide and an administration official confirmed to CNN.

The price hike has frustrated Pentagon officials and deeply concerned Republican and Democratic lawmakers, according to military officials and congressional aides. It has angered and unnerved Seoul, where leaders are questioning US commitment to their alliance and wondering whether Trump will pull US forces if they don’t pay up.

Overall, President Trump was a geopolitically disruptive force.
I didn't say he was perfect - he's far from it. He didn't 'disengage' as you highlighted. He was disruptive in some areas - and disruption (change) can often end up being a good thing. From a diplomatic effort standpoint - we need to back out of being the guy everyone invites out to dinner because he puts the meal on his credit card. We need to be more than a source of funding or troops.

And yes - TPP and Paris Climate Accord were bad deals for us. Kudos for getting out of these. I would have preferred we not withdraw from the WHO, but it can be argued that that that was negotiation - and it got their attention.

Nope. Paris accords was the best example, along with TPP. Not to mention the arrangement with Iran.
What "arrangement" with Iran? The one Trump reneged on giving Iran the green light to develop nukes? That was a genius move. The Paris accords? Why would you have a problem with a cleaner, less polluted world? TPP? Again, another good deal for everyone. But it was Obama's deal therefore had to go-along with every other good thing he did-and you know why? Because the petulant little child you elected can't get over the ribbing he got from Obama at the White House correspondent's dinner. That's the measure of the sad, insecure and vindictive little prick.

What "arrangement" with Iran? The one Trump reneged on giving Iran the green light to develop nukes? That was a genius move. The Paris accords? Why would you have a problem with a cleaner, less polluted world? TPP? Again, another good deal for everyone. But it was Obama's deal therefore had to go-along with every other good thing he did-and you know why? Because the petulant little child you elected can't get over the ribbing he got from Obama at the White House correspondent's dinner. That's the measure of the sad, insecure and vindictive little prick.

We withdrew.... because it was a bad deal. The one where Obama gave Iran the green light to develop nukes down the road. The one that critics said Iran would follow as long as it was convenient... which is what happened.

We withdrew.... because it was a bad deal. The one where Obama gave Iran the green light to develop nukes down the road. The one that critics said Iran would follow as long as it was convenient... which is what happened.
Utter nonsense. The IAEA confirmed that Iran was in compliance with the deal. There are two sides to every deal; if Trump reneged why should Iran continue to comply with a deal which took years of protracted negotiation to finalise? Trump ****ed up, as usual, like he ****s up everything he touches, and gave Iran yet another reason not to trust American duplicity. 'The Art of the Deal-or How I stole Millions from my own Charity''? More like 'The Art of the Screw-up'.

Last edited:
They may have been able to develop nukes " Down the road" but when Trump pulled out it let them start developing nukes right away, they didn't have to wait for any " Down the road " stuff
and wasn't Trump suppose to have some type of agreement with N.K. not to be developing nukes too ?
and we can see how that is working out
Have a nice day

Utter nonsense. The IAEA confirmed that Iran was in compliance with the deal. There are two sides to every deal; if Trump reneged why should Iran continue to comply with a deal which took years of protracted negotiation to finalise? Trump ****ed up, as usual, like he ****s up everything he touches, and gave Iran yet another reason not to trust American duplicity. 'The Art of the Deal-or How I stole Millions from my own Charity''? More like 'The Art of the Screw-up'.
They were racing to exceed the limits when we withdrew. And, as I pointed out, when they were ready to move past the limits, they did.

They may have been able to develop nukes " Down the road" but when Trump pulled out it let them start developing nukes right away, they didn't have to wait for any " Down the road " stuff
and wasn't Trump suppose to have some type of agreement with N.K. not to be developing nukes too ?
and we can see how that is working out
Have a nice day
No, Iran blew past the limits when they were ready - despite assurances that they were 'remaining in the deal' with the other partners. They never stopped development.

I think there's a general feeling that NAFTA did need to be updated. As for Trump's influence I think he got the ball rolling but like most things didn't get into the details much. The negotiators though knew their stuff and were able to arrive at something both sides could live with.
Yeah, that adds up.

he had better watch out Putin will get up set with him ,
Putin and him were suppose to be a couple
Have a nice day
Nah, FauxJoe has a thing for Asians. Xi jinping is more his style.

Nah, FauxJoe has a thing for Asians. Xi jinping is more his style.
YEP. it is OK for Trump to lie to us again , didn't he say he had an agreement with Xi that the NK wouldn't be testing Nukes?
and yet they have NOT stopped at all.
they have kept on doing it and Trump hasn't done a thing about it.
Wonder just how well the rest of his agreements will be going.
Iran , and NK have both just kept testing their nukes and we turn our head like we never saw a thing under Trump, the great negotiator
and as soon as Biden gets in and they do something the people on the right will be up in arms about it
Have a nice afternoon

Wonder just how hamstrung Trump will leave Biden seeing he has been hampering the transition of power, and hasn't been giving Biden's people the help or info they will need to do their jobs.
and it is a fact there usually is somebody out there that does something with in the first 4 or 5 months to see just how the new President will react
Have a nice afternoon

That's absolutely true.

And that's why we should never believe Biden when he tells us he wants the US to support our "friends". We should be asking him what his "interests" are.

and I'm sure you'll get the same kind of answer Trump gives.

I'' be releasing a really strong list that will be terrific for the country and avoid the disasters of the past in the next two weeks, because as everyone knows only I can fix it.

Wonder just how hamstrung Trump will leave Biden seeing he has been hampering the transition of power, and hasn't been giving Biden's people the help or info they will need to do their jobs.
and it is a fact there usually is somebody out there that does something with in the first 4 or 5 months to see just how the new President will react
Have a nice afternoon
Not at all. That situation was resolved some time ago. If Biden isn't prepared, it's his own fault.

Back
Top Bottom