• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Canada’s wild pigs threaten ‘absolute destruction’ if left unchecked

JacksinPA

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive

The Canadian city of Edmonton may soon be hogtied with a problem that it won’t be able to barbecue its way out of.

Wild pigs have been spreading across central Alberta’s prairies and if left unchecked, could soon find themselves in the river valley of Edmonton. According to Ryan Brook, a University of Saskatchewan professor studying the pigs, the creatures are an “ecological trainwreck” and would cause “absolute destruction” if they make their way to the river valley, which is abundant in water and forest cover.

“They tear up the forest floor, native grasslands get destroyed, wetlands, water systems. They feed on anything where they can, and will kill any pets, for sure,” Brook told the Edmonton Journal.
=======================================
And I thought we had problems.

I grew up in the suburbs in the Northeast and wasn't familiar with feral hogs and wild boar. One day my elementary-aged child came home from her rural area school in the South and was all excited to tell me, "We had a short recess today because the wild pigs came to the playground!". I said, "Are you sure? That doesn't sound like a true story".

She was indignant and it was true.

All species on earth will destroy their environment if left unchecked, imo.

All species on earth will destroy their environment if left unchecked, imo.

Predation and disease usually take care of it eventually. The pigs come in, then we let the cougars in. The pigs are kept in check and the river valley is off limits to the long pigs ( ie humans)

The Canadian city of Edmonton may soon be hogtied with a problem that it won’t be able to barbecue its way out of.

Wild pigs have been spreading across central Alberta’s prairies and if left unchecked, could soon find themselves in the river valley of Edmonton. According to Ryan Brook, a University of Saskatchewan professor studying the pigs, the creatures are an “ecological trainwreck” and would cause “absolute destruction” if they make their way to the river valley, which is abundant in water and forest cover.

“They tear up the forest floor, native grasslands get destroyed, wetlands, water systems. They feed on anything where they can, and will kill any pets, for sure,” Brook told the Edmonton Journal.
Feral hogs are a big problem in the US too. Mostly in the South.

I recommend that we transport all of Canada's wild pigs to Moscow. Win-win.

DQuNftnW0AA7ZD8.jpg

Canada is already lost.

feral hogs navy.jpg
feral hogs racoons.jpg

Is it 30-50 feral hogs?

The govt should offer a bounty and, if safe to eat, donate the meat to food banks and soup kitchens.

I guess we, the mock pork, don't like a little competition from the feral pork. Competing interests. Maybe we should thoink harder about this. How boaring.

Cheers and be pork.
Evilroddy.

Back
Top Bottom