• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Can you identify what's wrong with this black history course?

Not-in Maryland, New York, California or Massachusetts. Maybe in the red states. Florida‘s influence on the rest of the country is not great. DeSantis will find that out when he runs for president. Just like the right found out how much the country hates the Dobbs decision
To be analytical about it, I think DeSantis is going to pivot away from being too far Right and start courting the Moderates and Independents and Evangelicals.
He has a lot to work on. And I hope he does.

It's history and it's black
Whatever that means.
The real question is - who is that AP course for?
Is it an opportunity for certain angry teachers to vented their displeasure of our entire history?
Is it a way to give grieving students a chance to show their anger over perceived slights and discrimination?

To be analytical about it, I think DeSantis is going to pivot away from being too far Right and start courting the Moderates and Independents and Evangelicals.

Yes, his lack of any moral base should serve him well in the months to come.

Whatever that means.
Is it an opportunity for certain angry teachers to vented their displeasure of our entire history?
Is it a way to give grieving students a chance to show their anger over perceived slights and discrimination?

You seem to be pretty clear about what white folks have done to black folks throughout out history. Why would you want to censor it?

Consider this. If you have an alcoholic in the family, its best to get the facts out and confront it so you can move forward constructively instead of denying it and falling into the same toxic pattern.

The same applies to our legacy of racism.

Meanwhile, it would be helpful if you could provide any evidence at all showing angry teachers venting displeasure of history to grieving students. I suspect you are being dramatic due to a lack of any valid argument.

Yep, the parts where the course of learning includes lessons about intersectionality and CRT.

It is right there in the text, if you know what to look for.

What's wrong with teaching those things?

it's about black people?

Good recommendation. I hope the black history course writers and DeSantis' educators work it out to everyone's satisfaction.
Your suggestion about BLM, to me, would be heavy on the cons and very light on the 'pros' given what we saw in 2020 with BLM-led riots that resulted in billions lost to fire and destruction of property; people dead; and lots of police injured all in the name of showing support for a drug-addled, life-long criminal in George Floyd.
I do understand where DeSantis is coming from. Lets not kid ourselves: the education sector is very liberal and tends to blame Republicans/conservatives for all of society's problems. By their standards, John Kerry, Joe Biden and Hilary Clinton are seen as moderate or slight right. But based on what he's said, it looks like Santis skimmed over the course and picked out parts sounding "funny" to him. The complaints over "queertheory" is pretty ridiculous. Over 2/3rds of the country supports same-sex marriage and for the last twenty years, the courts have predominated sided with gay Americans. Discussing what it is like to be black and gay, is apart of African American history. Maybe adding in being black and Republican might make it more even-handed.

I think it is important that students learn both sides of the issue. There is merit to what DeSantis is saying -- education section should be about learning, not recruiting future Democratic voters. BLM movement is still very controversial. Many see it as going overboard and trying to excuse bad behavior. On top of that, people seem to imply that George Floyd was killed because he was black. I don't think there's any evidence of that. It's a sense of feeling.

It is hard for a leapard to change it's spots.

What's wrong with teaching those things?
I would say nothing. It's an advanced placement course. It is designed to go deeper into American History and look at events from a deeper lens. The question is about balance. It is going to be a "trash the right" or looking at how Republicans and Democrats see race and their solutions to inequality in our society.

I would say nothing. It's an advanced placement course. It is designed to go deeper into American History and look at events from a deeper lens. The question is about balance. It is going to be a "trash the right" or looking at how Republicans and Democrats see race and their solutions to inequality in our society.
It's about history. Not coloring history to make you look good.

Can you give me an example of what mean by "trashing the right?"

I do understand where DeSantis is coming from. Lets not kid ourselves: the education sector is very liberal and tends to blame Republicans/conservatives for all of society's problems. By their standards, John Kerry, Joe Biden and Hilary Clinton are seen as moderate or slight right. But based on what he's said, it looks like Santis skimmed over the course and picked out parts sounding "funny" to him. The complaints over "queertheory" is pretty ridiculous. Over 2/3rds of the country supports same-sex marriage and for the last twenty years, the courts have predominated sided with gay Americans. Discussing what it is like to be black and gay, is apart of African American history. Maybe adding in being black and Republican might make it more even-handed.

I think it is important that students learn both sides of the issue. There is merit to what DeSantis is saying -- education section should be about learning, not recruiting future Democratic voters. BLM movement is still very controversial. Many see it as going overboard and trying to excuse bad behavior. On top of that, people seem to imply that George Floyd was killed because he was black. I don't think there's any evidence of that. It's a sense of feeling.

The defense of DeSantis is so general as to be all but meaningless. Saying education blames conservatives for all society's ills is just demagoguery.

I mean, yes, a teacher could do a pretty good lesson comparing the 1895 Wilmington NC race riot and the 1/6 insurrection, where they tried to get Congress to throw out millions of black votes, and both make conservatives look pretty bad, but that's no reason not to teach it. In fact, conservatives could learn from it too.

The defense of DeSantis is so general as to be all but meaningless. Saying education blames conservatives for all society's ills is just demagoguery.

I mean, yes, a teacher could do a pretty good lesson comparing the 1895 Wilmington NC race riot and the 1/6 insurrection, where they tried to get Congress to throw out millions of black votes, and both make conservatives look pretty bad, but that's no reason not to teach it. In fact, conservatives could learn from it too.
Sure, I'll give an example: Many in the educational sector blamed Ronald Reagan for the rise in economic inequality in our system. Across-the-board tax cuts are nothing new. In fact, Reagan raised taxes much more than he lowered. Another one, is blaming Coolidge and Hoover for the great depression. BTW - I did not mean to argue that ALL education blames conservatives for society's negatives. But from my experience going to college back in the 2000s era, that WAS the dominate thing. Liberal activism outweighed conservative activism by a couple of miles.

But like I said before: DeSantis is a great politician, but horrible governor. This is one of the many horrible things he's done. CRT is not an evil concept, nor I think it should be banned from our public educational system. It is perfectly legit to look at governmental policies and discussion how it impacted minorities.

It is hard for a leapard to change it's spots.
You mean like Biden, who ran as a Moderate, and then, when elected, he becomes a puppet of the Progressive Left doing everything he can to violate federal immigration laws, pander to students who don't want to pay their debts, and giving billions away to people who want to sit on their asses at home instead of looking for work.
You mean that leopard?

Right, this is what I think should be in a history course:
"Discussing what it is like to be black and gay, is apart of African American history."
Why not include being white and gay as a Union soldier fighting and dying to free slaves? That's appropriate, right? NOOOO!
Why would a black history course contain anything about being black and gay in this country? How is that relevant to learning history? And, moreover, who would care?
Wait, I know, LGBTQ zealots who have to constantly shove their sexual preferences in our faces that we don't forget 4 percent of the population is gay.

Whatever that means.

I know many Americans don't want to face up to history or want to blame someone other than their Confedewate hewoes. But it happened.

You seem to be pretty clear about what white folks have done to black folks throughout out history. Why would you want to censor it?
So that's what you consider to be the purpose of this black history course. Let's dwell on what white folks have done to black folks throughout our history. And that would accomplish what? More hatred directed a white people by young people being told slaves were treated poorly? Jim Crow laws were terrible? Robert Byrd, a Democrat, was also a KKK clan leader?
Nothing like airing a racist grievance through a history class which is supposed to deliver historical and not inflaming rhetoric.

Whatever that means.
Angry teachers and grieving students. Yeah, that's it. :rolleyes:

JFYI, intersectionality is being in two or more categories of oppressed people. Black women. Black gays. Black gay women. See? It's a real thing. DeSantis wants people to think it's the devil. Without telling them what it is. And they believe him.

So that's what you consider to be the purpose of this black history course. Let's dwell on what white folks have done to black folks throughout our history. And that would accomplish what? More hatred directed a white people by young people being told slaves were treated poorly? Jim Crow laws were terrible? Robert Byrd, a Democrat, was also a KKK clan leader?
Nothing like airing a racist grievance through a history class which is supposed to deliver historical and not inflaming rhetoric.

Wouldn't you be interested in learning how black folks lived under such oppression? Learn about their experiences and the different ways they could resist I their political, economic and social ? Learn the endless number of ways they were repressed and analyze the progress and lack of progress that has been made in overcoming this oppression?

It's fascinating, really, to watch you make a black history course all about white people. It's not just about us. Believe me, I've taken them and taught them.

I will admit, learned things about white people I never knew before, but seriously jaypatroit, when we analyze this stuff, it to understand the motivations of a racist system and the people benefiting from it, not to attack white people in it. It's bigger than that.

Last edited:
So that's what you consider to be the purpose of this black history course.
Mass production of crying little white boys. It's still in the developmental stage.
Let's dwell on what white folks have done to black folks throughout our history.
If I'm gonna dwell on that, I'll put on Monster's Ball.
And that would accomplish what? More hatred directed a white people by young people being told slaves were treated poorly? Jim Crow laws were terrible? Robert Byrd, a Democrat, was also a KKK clan leader?
Nah. It's not about you. It's not about whites. That's why it's called African-American Studies.

Right, this is what I think should be in a history course:
"Discussing what it is like to be black and gay, is apart of African American history."
Why not include being white and gay as a Union soldier fighting and dying to free slaves? That's appropriate, right? NOOOO!
Why would a black history course contain anything about being black and gay in this country? How is that relevant to learning history? And, moreover, who would care?
Wait, I know, LGBTQ zealots who have to constantly shove their sexual preferences in our faces that we don't forget 4 percent of the population is gay.
What does being a white civil war soldier have to do with looking at African Americans within our culture? The comparison makes little sense.

The second bold parts makes little sense. I have no idea what that even means. Do you oppose same-sex marriage?

What does being a white civil war soldier have to do with looking at African Americans within our culture? The comparison makes little sense.

The second bold parts makes little sense. I have no idea what that even means. Do you oppose same-sex marriage?
This is the part I like...

LGBTQ zealots who have to constantly shove their sexual preferences in our faces

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom