• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Can You Get COVID Or Any Virus By Touching Your Face? Then Why Wear A Mask?

Survival of this virus outside the body is very time limited.

Agreed, but that time can last, untouched, days. Hence why we need to do the frequent cleaning. I am not disagreeing that given our efforts that aerosol transmission is the most likely vector. However, the statement of yours about surface transmission did not include any concept of our currently efforts. Maybe it was assumed, but it read as if a general potential vector with no external factors, such as frequent cleaning. I was pointing out that surface transmission, at least on certain surfaces, is a high potential vector, sans interference such as cleaning, given the days long survival of the virus on them.

Question? If you have a virus on your hands and touch your mask will it adhere to that mask and if so can you inhale it? Find out and let me know, please?
No, not through the kinds of mask that are recommended. I will not make any claims at anything individuals might be wearing. For example, a mask made of Legos is highly unlikely to be effective. That said, the virus is much larger than O2 molecules and as such will not pass through the standard recommended masks.

Sorry to hear about your wife, glad she is ok! God, I hate to be blunt, but I don't know her and do not know of her like many who have had covid. I do not know their health history and should not. Not saying that your wife is not healthy because I am sure that this can affect healthy people as well, although rare. Like other viruses.
She's actually high risk due to medical issues. But that is what is key about this, especially since the mask is more effective at preventing the spread out from a person, than it is in preventing one from contracting it. Even more so since the virus has a long incubation period before symptoms show, if they ever do. The whole mask, clean and distance issue is about protecting, or at least risk reducing, those who are high risk, such as the elderly, children, and others with medical issues that make them more susceptible.

Not sure if you realized it, but you missed addressing my point on the testing and your claim on false positives. Were you conceding to my point, missed it for the other content, or are just avoiding it?

The decline was due to summer not mask. Which we are going to see now.

Wrong. Masks work. If 95% of the people wore a mask 95% of the time we would have this under control in a month. Thats not my opinion. Its the opinion of several infectious disease experts. I think its time this forum stipulates that masks reduce the spread of coronavirus.

She's actually high risk due to medical issues. But that is what is key about this, especially since the mask is more effective at preventing the spread out from a person, than it is in preventing one from contracting it. Even more so since the virus has a long incubation period before symptoms show, if they ever do. The whole mask, clean and distance issue is about protecting, or at least risk reducing, those who are high risk, such as the elderly, children, and others with medical issues that make them more susceptible.

Not sure if you realized it, but you missed addressing my point on the testing and your claim on false positives. Were you conceding to my point, missed it for the other content, or are just avoiding it?
No, I would love to answer them, later though I am going out now be back soon.

First, that's not how capitalization works.

Second, this is dumber than the usual anti-mask argument. You can be killed in car accidents even if you wear a seat belt, but that doesn't make wearing a seatbelt pointless.
I would love to discuss Capitalization because not all work, not now. seat belts are good so are helmets but I am an adult and should have the choice? You sound conservative do you agree? As far as a car lets take them all away so no one kills me.

Can You Get COVID Or Any Other Virus By Touching Your Face? Can You Get COVID Or Any Other Virus If You Touch Your Mask With Dirty Hands? If You Answer Yes To Either One, Then How Could You Defend The Wearing Of A Mask?
Good grief.

You can get COVID-19 if you touch an object with virus particles on it, and then touch your mouth, nose or eyes before washing your hands.

No, you won't get sick if you touch your mask with "dirty hands." That's not how it works.

What can happen, but rarely does, is that you can touch parts of the outside of the mask with virus particles, forget to wash your hands, and touch your mouth or nose or eyes. The solution to this problem is not to spread vile and harmful misinformation about masks, it's to remind people "wash your hands after you take off your mask."

Masks work. The evidence is overwhelming, and the downsides almost completely negligible. Wear your mask, kthx.

seat belts are good so are helmets but I am an adult and should have the choice?
Not really, no.

Since you missed it, almost every nation has seat belt and motorcycle helmet laws. Just like masks, they save lives; they do not cause problems for the overwhelming majority of people; and mandates increase compliance.

Can You Get COVID Or Any Other Virus By Touching Your Face? Can You Get COVID Or Any Other Virus If You Touch Your Mask With Dirty Hands? If You Answer Yes To Either One, Then How Could You Defend The Wearing Of A Mask?
JFC, this particular stupidity just never ends.

I would love to discuss Capitalization because not all work, not now. seat belts are good so are helmets but I am an adult and should have the choice? You sound conservative do you agree? As far as a car lets take them all away so no one kills me.
There is no right to deliberately put people around you at risk for a deadly disease.

I disagree, people can spread a virus through their pores and orifices and the same people who are telling you to wear a mask are also the same ones who will say that covid can adhere to a surface for hours maybe days. So keep touching your face and mask after someone who is infected has touched that coffee cup etc. before you do, They will also base their decisions on profit and or politics, and then again not all scientists agree with yours. Some say that wearing a mask is a bad idea for the reason that most people will not use them properly, and good luck getting them too.

You can disagree, but that doesn't make your statement correct. As was already explained, viruses are spread through a variety of ways; in this particular case it's through aerosolized droplets we're expelling through our mouth and nose. It's important to note that it's not just masks which are part of the prevention protocols; washing ones hands, not touching the mask, washing masks/replacing them frequently, and social distancing are all part of what's required to minimize ones risk of spreading or catching the disease.

Agreed, but that time can last, untouched, days. Hence why we need to do the frequent cleaning. I am not disagreeing that given our efforts that aerosol transmission is the most likely vector. However, the statement of yours about surface transmission did not include any concept of our currently efforts. Maybe it was assumed, but it read as if a general potential vector with no external factors, such as frequent cleaning. I was pointing out that surface transmission, at least on certain surfaces, is a high potential vector, sans interference such as cleaning, given the days long survival of the virus on them.
Any surface outdoors will be 'touched' by something, the sun, rain, cold etc. This is why hand-washing and hand sanitizers carried in your pocket reduce the chance of infection from surfaces.

From the CDC:
It remained infectious for up to 24 hours on cardboard and four hours on copper. The virus was detectable in aerosols for up to three hours. These times will vary under real-world conditions, depending on factors including temperature, humidity, ventilation, and the amount of virus deposited.

No, it is not transmissible 'for days'. It cannot be passed through 'pores' as you've said.

Jesus ****ing Christ.

It’s been SIX MONTHS into the pandemic.

Don’t you understand the mask isnt there to protect you?

It’s not like mask wearing is a new concept. Even the slow ones should have gotten the idea by now.
If the mask isnt there to protect you, why did all you libs mock Herman Cain for not wearing one at the Trump rally? You are now saying it wouldnt have protected him anyway. Maybe you should stick to climate alarmism and leave the Covid alarmism to others.

If the mask isnt there to protect you, why did all you libs mock Herman Cain for not wearing one at the Trump rally? You are now saying it wouldnt have protected him anyway. Maybe you should stick to climate alarmism and leave the Covid alarmism to others.
Here's something that might sound novel or new to you. A mask is word to protect OTHERS, not yourself!

Here's something that might sound novel or new to you. A mask is word to protect OTHERS, not yourself!
Yes, I think I just said that. Not unlike you to completely miss the point though.

Yes, I think I just said that. Not unlike you to completely miss the point though.
I know you just said it and as usual, you're wrong again.

I know you just said it and as usual, you're wrong again.
Tell that to threegoofs then. I was quoting him. Seriously, cant you follow along a simple conversation?

Really? You can't even understand the concept that an unmasked face in a crowd is THE best way to get covid-19 other than letting a symptomatic covid-19 person cough directly in your face? Again, and for the umpteenth time for the slow kids in the back: wearing a mask protects others not the wearer but not wearing a mask is an invitation to the virus. Cain got the virus because he was in a crowd of people NOT WEARING MASKS. To be the teachers of you people must have been an excruciating experience.

Really? You can't even understand the concept that an unmasked face in a crowd is THE best way to get covid-19 other than letting a symptomatic covid-19 person cough directly in your face? Again, and for the umpteenth time for the slow kids in the back: wearing a mask protects others not the wearer but not wearing a mask is an invitation to the virus. Cain got the virus because he was in a crowd of people NOT WEARING MASKS. To be the teachers of you people must have been an excruciating experience.
So, according to you, even if he had been wearing a mask it wouldnt have mattered. Yet you mocked him anyway. Thank you for proving once again that nowhere is a liberal more arrogant than when speaking on topic they know nothing about.

Tell that to threegoofs then. I was quoting him. Seriously, cant you follow along a simple conversation?
"Seriously" Fletch, nearly everyone (except you) seems to be able to grasp the concept of wearing a mask and whom they protect. The news has been emphasizing this since last March. Wearing a mask protects others and may offer you protection as well. The entire point of wearing a mask is to prevent a person that's carrying the virus whether they're symptomatic or asymptomatic, from spreading the virus to others through microscopic aerosolized particles from their nose or mouth. Perhaps if you read all these words a few times, it will become a real concept to you.

"Seriously" Fletch, nearly everyone (except you) seems to be able to grasp the concept of wearing a mask and whom they protect. The news has been emphasizing this since last March. Wearing a mask protects others and may offer you protection as well. The entire point of wearing a mask is to prevent a person that's carrying the virus whether they're symptomatic or asymptomatic, from spreading the virus to others through microscopic aerosolized particles from their nose or mouth. Perhaps if you read all these words a few times, it will become a real concept to you.
Before you get any further into a maniacal rant, perhaps you can quote where I took issue with any of that.

Worst states by cases per 1M population in order: Louisiana, Florida, Mississippi, Alabama, Arizona, Georgia, Tennessee, South Carolina, Iowa, Arkansas. Notice: all red, even though it started in blue states before anyone knew anything about it. Lesson: quit with the DIY science and just wear a ^&%$ing mask and listen to the scientists. Noah's ark and your AOL "research" don't change reality.

In fact, out of all the states that currently are experiencing 25+ new cases a day per 100K citizens are highly red, except for Wisconsin.

Back
Top Bottom