• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Can You Get COVID Or Any Virus By Touching Your Face? Then Why Wear A Mask?

Fomites aren’t really an issue.

We’ve known that for months.
"Fact" More people touch their faces with a mask on. Therefore infecting themselves, then passing it on to others by touching an object before others. offsetting the effectiveness of the mask.

"Fact" More people touch their faces with a mask on. Therefore infecting themselves, then passing it on to others by touching an object before others. offsetting the effectiveness of the mask.
Fact, just claiming something is a fact without even trying to back it up doesnt make it a fact.

Over 80% of those who wear a mask misuse it. So the big question is, is the mask doing more harm than good? Are we preventing COVID or helping it?
You need to show some proof of your claim that 80% 'misuse' a mask, I just do not believe that at all. Even if people touch their mask, or touch their face, the odds of them contracting the virus doing that is very low since the virus is predominantly transmitted by aerosol particles inhaled in the air. Touching the face and mask is less likely infectious since it would require their hands or fingers coming in direct contract with contaminated surfaces and the virus is far less transmissible through contract contamination than through inhalation.

Can you support these claims? How are the false positives being counted? What is skewing the numbers? Can you reference which scientists disagree with the masks? Where do you get your .08% rate number from?
Can you support these claims? How are the false positives being counted? What is skewing the numbers? Can you reference which scientists disagree with the masks? Where do you get your .08% rate number from?
If someone is tested for covid 3 times and only 1 out of the 3 test positive what were the other two? If there are 330,000,000 people living in the US and only 2,000,000 have supposedly died or have had complications then you have .08%.

Fact, just claiming something is a fact without even trying to back it up doesnt make it a fact.
Look around, pay attention to what people do with a mask on, and how germ infected that mask must be? Then tell me that it's not fact.

Look around, pay attention to what people do with a mask on, and how germ infected that mask must be? Then tell me that it's not fact.
Got it you just made that up

Can You Get COVID Or Any Other Virus By Touching Your Face? Can You Get COVID Or Any Other Virus If You Touch Your Mask With Dirty Hands? If You Answer Yes To Either One, Then How Could You Defend The Wearing Of A Mask?

First, that's not how capitalization works.

Second, this is dumber than the usual anti-mask argument. You can be killed in car accidents even if you wear a seat belt, but that doesn't make wearing a seatbelt pointless.

I disagree, people can spread a virus through their pores and orifices

You can disagree all you want, but that is not how viruses work.

https://covid19.nj.gov/faqs/coronavirus-information/slowing-the-spread/can-the-coronavirus-spread-through-sweat said:
There is no evidence that the virus can be spread through sweat. However, the virus can be transmitted in places like gyms by other means - through respiratory droplets that pass from person to person or that land on surfaces that multiple people touch, such as gym equipment. It's therefore best to avoid gyms. If you must go, it is important to wash hands, sanitize equipment, and practice social distancing.

Again if you have some source that claims otherwise, present it.

and the same people who are telling you to wear a mask are also the same ones who will say that covid can adhere to a surface for hours maybe days.

Aside from super generalizing, you are correct that it can adhere to various surfaces for a wide varity of time:

That is why we are supposed to be doing frequent cleaning and hand washing. I don't think anyone, and especially not me, has made any claim in this thread about the lifetime of the virus on various surfaces.

and then again not all scientists agree with yours.

Once again, what are your sources to this claim?

Some say that wearing a mask is a bad idea for the reason that most people will not use them properly, and good luck getting them too.

That's like saying that it's a bad idea to wear motor cycle helmets because most others will not use them properly. In the end, you cannot help what other people do. But that is no reason not to do it properly yourself.

Last edited:
And you got this fact from where?

You need to show some proof of your claim that 80% 'misuse' a mask, I just do not believe that at all. Even if people touch their mask, or touch their face, the odds of them contracting the virus doing that is very low since the virus is predominantly transmitted by aerosol particles inhaled in the air. Touching the face and mask is less likely infectious since it would require their hands or fingers coming in direct contract with contaminated surfaces and the virus is far less transmissible through contract contamination than through inhalation.
Question? Can covid be spread from someone touching a surface and then passing it to someone else touching the same one? If not then why are so many people vigorously whipping down surfaces?

Actually no. See the links in my above post. While it won't go through the skin, if you pick it up from another surface and then touch a membranous part, such as eyes, nose and mouth, it can then be absorbed into the body. Hence the warning against touching your face. A mask barrier can aid in the unconscious inadvertent touching of these areas. The main purpose of the mask, however is to prevent the particles from getting to the other surfaces for people to touch. It's a spread risk reduction as opposed to a contracting risk reduction.

Question? Can covid be spread from someone touching a surface and then passing it to someone else touching the same one? If not then why are so many people vigorously whipping down surfaces?
I live in Ct. and we were the second state to become a hot spot since we are the state next to New York and many of our residents commute to NY daily. In the beginning of March, when it was raging and people were dying by the hundreds daily, the virus was extremely virile and highly transmissible. The W.H.O. and C.D.C. offered little advice because they just didn't have the facts themselves at that point. Precautions had to be taken that would cover every and all possible modes of transmission, including contact transmission because there just simply wasn't any proof this was not a primary method of transmission. Yes, we wiped everything down with a disinfectant before bringing it into our homes. We went absolutely overboard with our methods of protection. As the weeks went by, it was clear that the primary source of infection was aerosol transmissions from being in close contact/proximity to an infected person. The notion of it being highly transmissable through contact was more or less abandoned for the most part simply because the risk was lowered and by April it had been pretty well established that the virus doesn't live on inanimate surfaces as long as they first guessed it did. Transmission through the mucousa of the eye was also shown to be a less likely mode of transmission.

The decline was due to summer not mask. Which we are going to see now.
Quite the opposite. People in this country became more aware every day when told by scientists and epidemiologists that masks are at the front line of defense against contracting Covid-19. More and more people got smart and started wearing masks. Social distancing became regulated by individual states, so that created a double protection. The short answer is that the increased numbers of people wearing protective masks has directly affected the numbers of new cases.

You don’t know what a fomite is and are too lazy or incompetent to look it up. Got it.

Masks reduce one touching their mouth or nose significantly, which is probably how they work to reduce flu transmission.

Not sure if you can grasp this complicated point, but by wearing something that covers your mouth prevents you from routinely touching...your mouth.

You can disagree all you want, but that is not how viruses work.

[QUOTE = https://covid19.nj.gov/faqs/coronav...an-the-coronavirus-spread-through-sweat]There is no evidence that the virus can be spread through sweat. However, the virus can be transmitted in places like gyms by other means - through respiratory droplets that pass from person to person or that land on surfaces that multiple people touch, such as gym equipment. It's therefore best to avoid gyms. If you must go, it is important to wash hands, sanitize equipment, and practice social distancing.

Again if you have some source that claims otherwise, present it.

Aside from super generalizing, you are correct that it can adhere to various surfaces for a wide varity of time:

That is why we are supposed to be doing frequent cleaning and hand washing. I don't think anyone, and especially not me, has made any claim in this thread about the lifetime of the virus on various surfaces.

Once again, what are your sources to this claim?

That's like saying that it's a bad idea to wear motor cycle helmets because most others will not use them properly. In the end, you cannot help what other people do. But that is no reason not to do it properly yourself.
[/QUOTE]
I can do math all day but do not have the time. Bottom line with life there is death, sorry but it is true. If you want to inflict fear of death then do it based on real numbers and then have a real plan to control it otherwise let this run its course because like the flu it will anyway. If you are so concerned about death, pain, and suffering how about focusing on the starvation, crime, and stop driving a car.

Actually no. See the links in my above post. While it won't go through the skin, if you pick it up from another surface and then touch a membranous part, such as eyes, nose and mouth, it can then be absorbed into the body. Hence the warning against touching your face. A mask barrier can aid in the unconscious inadvertent touching of these areas. The main purpose of the mask, however is to prevent the particles from getting to the other surfaces for people to touch. It's a spread risk reduction as opposed to a contracting risk reduction.
Contact transmission depends entirely on the length of time that aerosolized particle has remained on any surface. he duration of viral ‘survival' on nonliving surfaces depends on several factors: porosity, temperature, humidity, chemical composition and environmental exposure to UV light being the most important. Survival of this virus outside the body is very time limited. Contracting the virus through air particles inhaled through the nose or mouth directly from an infected person is the most common way this virus is spread. Soap inactivates the virus by dissolving the fatty bubble, 70% ethanol works by dehydrating via osmosis. Frequent hand-washing is part of the routine for us here in New England.

Viruses are very, very fragile. They can be destroyed by almost anything, light, bacteria, any sort of mechanical contact, lots of biological materials. But there are fantastic numbers of them. The decay from billions to millions to thousands is rather radioactive decay, a matter of a half life. And on a hard, inert surface, the number of such destructive events is smallest, and the half life longest.

If someone is tested for covid 3 times and only 1 out of the 3 test positive what were the other two?

The other two are negative. You talked about false positives, not false negatives. Order and timing also matters, if the first two were negative, then the third positive, that indicates that the virus was contracted between the 2nd and 3rd testing. If the second is positive, but the third is not taken until after the person recovers, it indicates they no longer have the virus. Furthermore, a positive result in carrying the virus does not guarantee the development of symptoms. It only indicates the presence of the virus. You're not providing any context, and in fact ignoring all possible context to further your narrative.

If there are 330,000,000 people living in the US and only 2,000,000 have supposedly died or have had complications then you have .08%.

2 million is still a significant number of people dying. There is also the fact that the body does seem to create a lasting antibody for this particular virus, thus prevention of reinfection is as important as prevention of infection. There is no guarantee that one will survive subsequent infections, especially if they receive it multiple times. My wife survived her bout of it without needing to be hospitalized. However, it seriously weakened her and it was three months before she regained most of her strength. If she were to be hit with it again, she has a higher chance of needing to be hospitalized or worse.

You don’t know what a fomite is and are too lazy or incompetent to look it up. Got it.

Masks reduce one touching their mouth or nose significantly, which is probably how they work to reduce flu transmission.

Not sure if you can grasp this complicated point, but by wearing something that covers your mouth prevents you from routinely touching...your mouth.
Question? If you have a virus on your hands and touch your mask will it adhere to that mask and if so can you inhale it? Find out and let me know, please?

Jesus ****ing Christ.

It’s been SIX MONTHS into the pandemic.

Don’t you understand the mask isnt there to protect you?

It’s not like mask wearing is a new concept. Even the slow ones should have gotten the idea by now.
Even in 1918, without social media, television and telephones, Americans were smarter than they are today.

6214018_6327.jpg

Question? If you have a virus on your hands and touch your mask will it adhere to that mask and if so can you inhale it? Find out and let me know, please?

The concept of viral load is too complicated for you, I guess.

I can do math all day but do not have the time. Bottom line with life there is death, sorry but it is true. If you want to inflict fear of death then do it based on real numbers and then have a real plan to control it otherwise let this run its course because like the flu it will anyway. If you are so concerned about death, pain, and suffering how about focusing on the starvation, crime, and stop driving a car.

This presumes that such is not happening. Simply because it is not talked about as much, does not mean efforts to reduce or prevent starvation, crime, etc are not occurring. Your deflection fails.

The other two are negative. You talked about false positives, not false negatives. Order and timing also matters, if the first two were negative, then the third positive, that indicates that the virus was contracted between the 2nd and 3rd testing. If the second is positive, but the third is not taken until after the person recovers, it indicates they no longer have the virus. Furthermore, a positive result in carrying the virus does not guarantee the development of symptoms. It only indicates the presence of the virus. You're not providing any context, and in fact ignoring all possible context to further your narrative.

2 million is still a significant number of people dying. There is also the fact that the body does seem to create a lasting antibody for this particular virus, thus prevention of reinfection is as important as prevention of infection. There is no guarantee that one will survive subsequent infections, especially if they receive it multiple times. My wife survived her bout of it without needing to be hospitalized. However, it seriously weakened her and it was three months before she regained most of her strength. If she were to be hit with it again, she has a higher chance of needing to be hospitalized or worse.
Sorry to hear about your wife, glad she is ok! God, I hate to be blunt, but I don't know her and do not know of her like many who have had covid. I do not know their health history and should not. Not saying that your wife is not healthy because I am sure that this can affect healthy people as well, although rare. Like other viruses.

Back
Top Bottom