• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Can you discern a persons 'political lean' by observation alone?

Empirica

~Transcend~
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
A girlfriend and I recently stopped at a Starbucks and acting silly, discretely joked about how we blended right in with all the liberals_

I later thought how interesting it was that we had associated Starbucks with being a primarily liberal/democrat gathering place_

Have any of you ever noticed any distinguishing characteristics, mannerisms or traits that might suggest a persons political leanings?

For instance, we know that 95% of blacks and 70% of hispanics statistically vote democrat, suggesting race as a likely characteristic_

I also usually assume most artists, actors and musicians are liberal, providing I recognize them as being in the entertainment industry_

And when I see a Prius I assume that at least the owner is probably a liberal and very likely a conservative if it's a gas-guzzling SUV_

I'm well aware that these are not absolutes but I do believe they are plausible assumptions for the most part_

Do any of you disagree with any of the predictors I have suggested or know of any yourself which might indicate a persons political lean?

How bout it__are there any amateur psychoanalyst/sociologist out there?!

An NRA sticker on the back window of their 4X4 is a pretty good sign of what they are not, as is a fishhook on the brim of their cap......

A girlfriend and I recently stopped at a Starbucks and acting silly, discretely joked about how we blended right in with all the liberals_

I later thought how interesting it was that we had associated Starbucks with being a primarily liberal/democrat gathering place_

Have any of you ever noticed any distinguishing characteristics, mannerisms or traits that might suggest a persons political leanings?

For instance, we know that 95% of blacks and 70% of hispanics statistically vote democrat, suggesting race as a likely characteristic_

I also usually assume most artists, actors and musicians are liberal, providing I recognize them as being in the entertainment industry_

And when I see a Prius I assume that at least the owner is probably a liberal and very likely a conservative if it's a gas-guzzling SUV_

I'm well aware that these are not absolutes but I do believe they are plausible assumptions for the most part_

Do any of you disagree with any of the predictors I have suggested or know of any yourself which might indicate a persons political lean?

Talk about your gun, if they are then shaking or standing in a puddle of pee then they are liberal, if they talk about theirs then they are conservative. ;)

Talk about your gun, if they are then shaking or standing in a puddle of pee then they are liberal, if they talk about theirs then they are conservative. ;)
That has to be one of the dumbest things I've read yet today, which is saying something as I was on Limbaugh's site for a little while.

That has to be one of the dumbest things I've read yet today, which is saying something as I was on Limbaugh's site for a little while.

Really, do you often find liberals tallking about their guns? Maybe Obama, since he shoots "all of the time", but in general I thought that topic unlikely to come up at Starbucks.

Jeez, I don't think I really consider that very often. I suppose there have been times when it was blatantly obvious.

I hope this doesn't cross a line but pretty young con women have that just sucked on a dick look whereas pretty young lib women have that just sucked on a lemon look.
stare.jpg

Liberals do not interject guns into every conversation because they do not live their life in fear, nor are they compensating for anything. However, in the context of their hobbies, they might very well talk about their guns. The idea that liberals, many of whom own guns, are somehow afraid of them is painfully ****ing retarded. On the other hand, so is this thread.

What do liberals have in common? A rough ideology(rough in that there is a lot of room for specific beliefs within that ideology). What do conservatives have in common? A rough ideology. I find that I share many nonpolitical interests with many conservatives on this board(and even some libertarians). I also share many nonpolitical interests with many liberals on this board. Trying to stereotype what people who hold an ideology are like outside of politics is only going to create wrong impressions.

Really, do you often find liberals tallking about their guns? Maybe Obama, since he shoots "all of the time", but in general I thought that topic unlikely to come up at Starbucks.

I find neither talk about their guns, unless they are men who for some reason have nothing worthwhile to discuss. Which usually results in the braggart of "oh I owned this gun and shot this with it, I am man hear me roar".

That is about it.

You are so close to realizing that your opposite is you in different circumstances. Bravo! I knew your intelligence would eventually lead you in this direction.

I am trying to figure out if 80% of the posts in this thread are hyperbolic jokes or not

The other day I saw one of those Smart car 2 seater specks with a Mittens T romnifeller election sticker on it. It was an odd site, but about the best i can figure I see a lot of RVs with those tiny cars on the back for tooling around town when the older people set up camp so perhaps that was it.

Some people say i am liberal, but you would not catch me in a starbucks slurping down a crappy 5 dollar coffee poured by some stupid hipster who cannot figure out what large regular coffee means. Actually, my boycott of starbucks started way back when they hat mulled apple cider on the menu and the ****ing twit behind the counter wondered why I had a fit because he pulled out apple juice. This was in apple country NY and god damnit they should know better that apple juice is not even remotely close to apple cider. You can call me conservative if you want, but I will take some regular coffee and some real apple cider from an orchard any day of the week over starbucks. The only apple store you will not see me in is one set up by steve jobs and company. Why do liberals flock around crap like starbucks, Apple, and MSNBC? I guess I don't fall into the brand.

Q: Can you discern a persons 'political lean' by observation alone?

A: Often. It's easier the farther to the extreme the person is.

When it's funny is when everyone sees it except the person them self.

I don't know how many Prius' I saw with Romeny stickers in 2012. I just thought it was ironic since I live in the most liberal part of CA, and the only Romney stickers I ever saw were always on a Prius.

That being said Obama stickers probably outnumbered Romney stickers like 10-1 around here.

Back
Top Bottom