• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Can you be saved by faith alone?

If you don't think God expects you to use your power of reason, why did he give you a brain?
If He wanted you to throw away the scripture and invent on your own, why did He send revelation?
No, according to scripture, Adam was NOT deceived..
You didn't answer my question:
Do you suggest Adam a) didn't believe the serpent b) knew his wife was deceived and c) knew the fruit would not give him anything and still ate from the tree?

If He wanted you to throw away the scripture and invent on your own, why did He send revelation?

Do you suggest Adam a) didn't believe the serpent b) knew his wife was deceived and c) knew the fruit would not give him anything and still ate from the tree?
Who knows why he did it, to please Eve, maybe...he did it and he knew, without a doubt, he was disobeying God...Adam did not talk to the serpent, Eve did...all Genesis tells us is that "Afterward, she also gave some to her husband when he was with her, and he began eating it"...

"If I have faith so as to move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing."

Can you go to heaven without loving God?

So, you think a single line quote, removed from its context, refutes Paul’s comments of faith resulting in salvation? Really?

First, the Greek word for love in the verses is translated “God’s love.” Paul isn’t writing about man loving God. Neither is Paul asserting what is or isn’t necessary for salvation. Paul is writing about people having the love of God in them and expressed outwardly towards other people.

Paul opens by listing the gifts of the Spirit, speaking in tongues, prophecy, knowledge, and faith to move mountains, it is meaningless without the love of God manifesting in the person.

The verse you reference says nothing regarding what is necessary or sufficient for salvation.

Being deceived is a negative thing, not a good one. Becoming a transgressor is also a negative thing.

One could say, in the Biblical story, Adam was deceived as well — by his wife, whom he blames to begin with. At the same time he's also blaming God.

Oh yeah? How exactly is the argument Adam was deceived tenable when taking into account the text of what Genesis says?

The text doesn’t say anything to support any notion Adam was deceived.

“When the woman saw that the tree was good for food, and that it was a delight to the eyes, and that the tree was desirable to make one wise, she took some of its fruit and ate; and she also gave some to her husband with her, and he ate. 7

The man said, “The woman whom You gave to be with me, she gave me some of the fruit of the tree, and I ate.” 13

Combine this with the comments by God to Adam, that Adam disobeyed God’s command not to touch or eat from said tree, and Adam chose to listen to his wife instead and not God, and the picture isn’t Adam was deceived but disobeyed God by following his wife’s advice he eat the fruit.

So, you think a single line quote, removed from its context, refutes Paul’s comments of faith resulting in salvation? Really?

First, the Greek word for love in the verses is translated “God’s love.” Paul isn’t writing about man loving God. Neither is Paul asserting what is or isn’t necessary for salvation. Paul is writing about people having the love of God in them and expressed outwardly towards other people.

Paul opens by listing the gifts of the Spirit, speaking in tongues, prophecy, knowledge, and faith to move mountains, it is meaningless without the love of God manifesting in the person.

The verse you reference says nothing regarding what is necessary or sufficient for salvation.
Given that this is from Paul, and that Paul never says faith alone, then yes you have to take this seriously. Can you be saved while not loving God?

A cruel god would have to be an impossibility but it isn't
There is nothing cruel about God...there is justice, though...

As I understand it, Adam had been alone for a long time and yet noticed all around him that animals had mates. This caused him to be lonely. God said it was not good that man should be alone and therefore made him a helpmate. Knowing the commandment of God perhaps he feared he would be separated from Eve because of her disobedience. Therefore, he chose to eat the forbidden fruit rather than to be separated and suffer from loneliness again.

As I understand it, Adam had been alone for a long time and yet noticed all around him that animals had mates. This caused him to be lonely. God said it was not good that man should be alone and therefore made him a helpmate. Knowing the commandment of God perhaps he feared he would be separated from Eve because of her disobedience. Therefore, he chose to eat the forbidden fruit rather than to be separated and suffer from loneliness again.
Good explanation...Adam's loyalties became divided...

We must abide in His love. We cannot purchase salvation by our works, but we are saved by remaining in the love of God. "He who perseveres to the end will be saved."
"Faith without works is dead." James 2.

I think the most important thing is that you're a good person.

Even a many who never heard of Jesus or Christianity can go to Heaven, as long as he's a good person.

"There is nothing new under the sun"...Satan uses tactics that work...
Tearing at the fiber of our relationships is one that has been successful since the days of Adam. But the real goal, for Satan, is to destroy our relationship with God and that can be accomplished through the marriage relationship.

"Faith without works is dead." James 2.

Faith leads to works...you cannot say you have faith without works that follow...

"Indeed, just as the body without spirit is dead, so also faith without works is dead."

Technically, yes you are saved by faith alone. But this is a strong faith that is part of being born again, not just some weak faith. If you have this strong faith you will put into the effort to be like Christ and obey him. So a lack of good works is a sign that the faith isn't real.
Good point, but there are righteous unbelievers. Ron Reagan is a militant atheist, but presumably could live a life of charity and kindness, in accord with the Sermon on the Mount. What happens to him?

Tearing at the fiber of our relationships is one that has been successful since the days of Adam. But the real goal, for Satan, is to destroy our relationship with God and that can be accomplished through the marriage relationship.
Yep, which is why Paul advised to "marry only in the Lord"...

Good point, but there are righteous unbelievers. Ron Reagan is a militant atheist, but presumably could live a life of charity and kindness, in accord with the Sermon on the Mount. What happens to him?
Works alone saves anymore than faith without works...

Yep, which is why Pail advised to "marry only in the Lord"...
It makes it so much easier. Yet, there have been many times when only one in an existing relationship have converted and God is able to work in that relationship where He is still glorified. Difficult, but with God nothing is impossible.

Faith leads to works...you cannot say you have faith without works that follow...

"Indeed, just as the body without spirit is dead, so also faith without works is dead."
But one can perform good works without faith.

Back
Top Bottom