• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Can you be a true Catholic if you're pro-abortion?

I'm not Catholic, but I have a good friend that is. We had a discussion with some other people online about Catholics and abortion. She said there's no way a devout Catholic could be for abortion because the Pope stands against it.

What do you think?

I'm not sure, I guess it would depend on what a "true Catholic" is. Certainly they believe the Pope speaks for god on this earth and I believe the Catholic Church does not support abortion in the least. So do "true Catholics" always believe the Pope 100% or never question Church doctrine? I think you can be reasonable in questioning certain practices and such. And of course Catholics have confession and such to absolve sin. I would say that most people who are Catholic are most likely going to be pro-life just because they've self-identified into this group which doesn't support abortion.

I'm not Catholic, but I have a good friend that is. We had a discussion with some other people online about Catholics and abortion. She said there's no way a devout Catholic could be for abortion because the Pope stands against it.

What do you think?

Honestly, I think the whole Catholic Church is getting a little fed up with the Pope, to be honest. But technically, as he is head of the church, his word is the law and you cannot support abortion rights when the pope stands against them and call yourself a good catholic.

Frankly, I consider myself Catholic but I don't give a flying rat's ass what the pope has to say on most matters anymore.

Last edited:
This thread starts off on a bad premise: Very few people are pro-abortion.

And a large number if not the majority of people who are "pro-choice" are also personally "anti-abortion". Its just that we recognize that it is a decision that should be left to the individual woman after consulting with her doctor. Period.

What do you think?
I say no. Its impossible, its like asking if someone to be patriotic/nationalist and a globalist at the same time. Or it would be like asking if you could be a member of code pink and support the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan and in the military.

This thread was an interesting read.

My Dad use to tell me that you didn't have to believe *everything* in the Bible to be a Christian. . . :shrug: So I decided not to believe any of it :D

I say no. Its impossible, its like asking if someone to be patriotic/nationalist and a globalist at the same time. Or it would be like asking if you could be a member of code pink and support the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan and in the military.

A better analogy would be Catholics who favor the death penalty.

well, if everyone did what the pope approved of, my friend Graham here would have been molested long ago...

Catholicism is the stickiest religion known to man, you can be an atheist, but still Catholic......You could join the Taliban, you would be a bad Catholic....

YouTube - Dara O'Briain - Catholicism

You might not discuss it with your priest, but you could believe in abortion and be a Catholic.

I don't believe she can learn the difference, or she would have done so by now.

Can you please learn the difference between pro-CHOICE and pro-abortion? One is a real political philosophy, the latter is a made up term by people who don't understand the former.

Back
Top Bottom