• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Can we talk about life before/after the smart phone?

typical_analytical

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
I think this is arguably political but if better in "off-topic" please feel free to move this thread.

I'm 51 years old and, seemingly overnight, the smart phone ruined my family and community.

How' bout you?

Like everything else that's "bad" for you, just use it in moderation and stay off social media. 🤷‍♀️

I love all the technology of a smart phone right in my pocket. Music player, GPS, calculator, flashlight, phone, etc... not to mention all the random apps that makes things simpler.

I think this is arguably political but if better in "off-topic" please feel free to move this thread.

I'm 51 years old and, seemingly overnight, the smart phone ruined my family and community.

How' bout you?

Somehow i doubt that
can i see negatives to it? of course but ultimately people are responsible.

People seem to stay in contact with texts.

"hi"
"hi"
"what do u want for dinner"
"we u want to make is fine"
"fried chicken"
"k"
"when are u coming home"
"leaving right now"

Being doing this for years now.

But people also use phones to stay in touch with their teens. It's like a leash.

So good things and bad things about phones.

How' bout you?
The ‘smartphone’ first appeared, granted in a primitive form, about 1994. Which overnight over 15+ years was the “one?”

If you have proclivities, a smartphone can trip you up………

Fighting progress always results in losing. If your family was ruined, it wasn't by a piece of plastic and glass. Something something personal responsibility.

The ‘smartphone’ first appeared, granted in a primitive form, about 1994. Which overnight over 15+ years was the “one?”

The company I worked for in the mid-90s gave me one. It look like the one the dude had in the big lebowski, but I never carried it around, it stayed in the truck. It was $1,500 a month and I was to only used it when absolutely necessary.

Cheap smartphones have probably raised our standard of living by an order of magnitude.

How' bout you?
"Smart" phone?

I have never seen any built contraption have the ability to think for itself. Does it get mad when you forget it? Does it criticize you for stupid things you do? Does it make you do anything you don't want to do? How smart can it be if it only works if you turn it on?

As far as it being political, does it care one way or the other if you put a video of Trump to play on it?

I don't see anything "smart" about it. I still do stupid things when I carry it with me.

How' bout you?
How did it ruin your family or make you overweight? Did it attack your children with a knife? Did it force-feed you? If so then that right there is the problem. I myself choose to avoid purchasing sentient smart phones pre-equipped with limbs. You never know what they will do to you and your loved ones.

How' bout you?
I am 84.

I do not have a smartphone.

I have noticed that many people could not live without one.

I think that it's a great invention.

It helps workmen do their jobs.

It helps people know when their food/rideshare car is going to arrive.

People use it to pay their bills (that's why snail mail is almost unknown to young people).

I just have a dumb phone (a flip phone).

I never turn it on, except when I leave home to shop or have a medical appointment.

Just as the Internet has changed the world, so has the smartphone.

Kudos to whoever came up with that innovation.

In the coming decades, human beings are going to be so much luckier than we (are) when it comes to technological advances in medicine and in robots to be caregivers, for example. And also robots to be companions to the lonely.

(Of course, I think that human beings themselves are going to be worse, but I digress.)

How' bout you?
My question is what happened to the prices of smartphones.

Seemingly overnight they went from $200-$1200

How' bout you?
I LOVE my smartphone...even though I don't do a whole lot with it.

Just to have a portable and personal communications device at hand at all times justifies the device.

I remember once...back in the early 90's...coming back from a family reunion in Montana...tens of miles from the nearest town...me, the wife, two very young boys...in a van, pulling a camper. The van broke down. I had to walk more than a mile to an emergency phone to get help. Nowadays...that won't happen. I'll just pull out my phone right there and get help. Of course, things aren't perfect. Cell coverage isn't perfect. But it's a LOT better than it used to be.

And for information...instant internet access. No matter where you are.

Yeah...I know...before the smartphone, we dealt with things. Paper maps. Pay phone booths. Etc. But there's no way I'll ever want to go back.

How' bout you?

It’s hard to imagine that a tool ruined your family. Maybe the problem is tool abuse by family members rather than rational and proper tool use.

What, specifically, did the evil smart phone do wrong?

"Can we talk about life before/after the smart phone?"

Sure, let's discuss.

WW
Sent from my iPhone

Remember in the 90's as the WWW and Internet were becoming a thing?

We thought, hey great with more access to information people will get smarter and make better decisions.
Boy were we wrong.

WW

Remember in the 90's as the WWW and Internet were becoming a thing?

We thought, hey great with more access to information people will get smarter and make better decisions.
Boy were we wrong.

WW

Yep who would of ever thought that access to more information would make SOME people more stupid.

Flat earthers, Truthers that think bush planned it. Holocaust deniers, birthers, election truthers etc

How' bout you?

Nope, and I am even an outlier, a sixty-four year old "recovering analog dinosaur" who survived the digital apocalypse and adapted fully:
I am a semi-retired cinematographer and film editor.
I started out old school, literally SPLICING motion picture film and then later, videotape editing and then finally, computer nonlinear.
I've even built quite a few of my earlier video editing workstations on my own, till I got too lazy and began hiring builders instead.

I have an LG V20, prior to that a Samsung, before that an HTC EVO4, prior to that a Nokia,
and before that, for about a year I had both a bag phone AND one of those Motorola BRICK phones.
I make and receive plenty of business and pleasure calls.
I occasionally look stuff up on the browser, there are a couple of very useful media related apps,
and I love using the video and still photo cameras.
I fat-finger way too much for that liliputian glass keyboard, so trying to type on it puts me off a bit.
And I've never been much of a gamer, so I don't spend any time killing aliens or what not.

I'm on DP, plus I do have Facebook, Instagram and Twitter...but I spend most of my internet time here.
I NEVER do it on my phone...again it's that fat-finger thing, I hate reading and discussing
stuff on a tiny 4 inch screen.
Give me "The Big Iron".

If I wanted to argue that computers and the internet ruined my family and my life, I'd have a hard time with that because computers and the internet are part of how I make a living.
The first time I edited the rock concert show I own the rights to, I did it on linear videotape, second and most recent time I upgraded the product and did all the work in AVID and Vegas Pro.

And I sell the damn thing on the internet, shipping through the US Mail.

My question is what happened to the prices of smartphones.

Seemingly overnight they went from $200-$1200
The first iPhone was $499/599USD. The first Android phone was $179 with a 2 year contract. These days you can get decent midrange phones for nothing with a 2 year contract, or a deep discount and monthly payments on a flagship.

You wanna REALLY know what smart phones ruined for me??????????????

HA!! My ability to remember PHONE NUMBERS and my ability to read and follow MAPS!!

ROFL.gif

I set Siri to have a female New Zealand accent. Sometimes I use her to create reminders I don't even need just to here her voice.

Am I a bad person?

WW

Back
Top Bottom