• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Can Trump Rebound from his no good very bad week?

NeverTrump

Exposing GOP since 2015
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
I think this week Trump effectively killed his campaign. His poll numbers are in the tank and still dropping in free fall. I looked back at the polls and it appears that on average Trump has only been ahead of Hillary a few times and most of that time was coming off the Email scandal most specifically Comey's speech or fresh off the RNC. Furthermore, I don't think Trump will ever be close or even higher than Hillary in the polls again. What do you think?

He gave a speech today that was not merely petty crap. A couple things I noticed, afterward, on Fox news:

1. "Trump was reading from notes, that's interesting. It means he was trying to stay on message". That's not what they say when they suspect Hillary of reading during a speech.

2. "He's turned it around! Now he's on topics and focused!"

So, according to Fox, his speech today represents a complete turn-around. Now he's the super-Trump that everyone has been waiting for!

Last edited:
He gave a speech today that was not only petty crap. A couple things I noticed, afterward, on Fox news:

1. "Trump was reading from notes, that's interesting. It means he was trying to stay on message". That's not what they say when they suspect Hillary of reading during a speech.

2. "He's turned it around! Now he's on topics and focused!"

So, according to Fox, his speech today represents a complete turn-around. Now he's the super-Trump that everyone has been waiting for!

Whenever Trump, "reads from his notes," it is way too obvious that he is doing it. It is way too obvious that he is pandering and almost mocking the Republican Party. I also don't think Melania will ever be back reading a teleprompter anytime soon.

I saw the speech as well. Each and every time he has given a big speech like this to mend fences or to show off his "knowledge," it is way too simple and too much lacking in substance. You can almost see that he doesn't believe half of what he is talking about. That to me is more dangerous than any of the bad politics he has been defaming over the past year.

No one knows what the future holds.

Whenever Trump, "reads from his notes," it is way too obvious that he is doing it. It is way too obvious that he is pandering and almost mocking the Republican Party. I also don't think Melania will ever be back reading a teleprompter anytime soon.

I saw the speech as well. Each and every time he has given a big speech like this to mend fences or to show off his "knowledge," it is way too simple and too much lacking in substance. You can almost see that he doesn't believe half of what he is talking about. That to me is more dangerous than any of the bad politics he has been defaming over the past year.

THIS to me means more of the "damned if he does, and damned if he doesn't" thought processes going around with those who oppose him.

It's like if he had been silent about that Khan speech people would accuse him of weakness and that his silence shows he was wrong all along;

Or, if he had been apologetic, he would be accused of pandering and demonstrating he has gone soft on his immigration issues.

No matter what he says or does, the media will turn it against him and his naysayers will jump on the bandwagon.

I still say, people just might be surprised how much support he actually has come election time, as that old "silent majority" speaks volumes through deeds in the voting booths rather than words in forums like this.

He may lose, since I don't count MY chickens before they hatch...but we'll simply wait and see. :coffeepap:

I don't think the speech was substantive, it was an improvement ("rigged" and "the media hates me" aside).

After Clinton's speech today, the comment was "looks like she's reading, how contrived! That shows that she's not honest!" After Trump, "how interesting, it shows he's trying to stay on message!" Was too funny.

HRC has put herself in a good spot, but there's plenty of time left for Trump to comeback.

I think Trump can still make it very competitive.

I just don't think he will.

Since you aren't a fan, probably never have been a fan, and have shown you are biased against him? Your opinion is superfluous.

THIS to me means more of the "damned if he does, and damned if he doesn't" thought processes going around with those who oppose him.

It's like if he had been silent about that Khan speech people would accuse him of weakness and that his silence shows he was wrong all along;

Or, if he had been apologetic, he would be accused of pandering and demonstrating he has gone soft on his immigration issues.

No matter what he says or does, the media will turn it against him and his naysayers will jump on the bandwagon.

He could have said "I respect their right to an opinion, and their son is an American hero, but I respectfully disagree. I think my suggested policies may have been misunderstood and I welcome the opportunity to clarify my positions on this... <clarification>".

All he had to do was respectfully disagree.

Attacking the Gold Star family was stupid. It was an unforced error. He was not doomed "no matter what".

I still say, people just might be surprised how much support he actually has come election time, as that old "silent majority" speaks volumes through deeds in the voting booths rather than words in forums like this.

It's more likely that many of his supporters enjoy prodding the clown but will not vote for him in the booth.

HRC has put herself in a good spot, but there's plenty of time left for Trump to comeback.

I think Trump can still make it very competitive.

I just don't think he will.

I think he is trying, he's just not used to being managed.

I'm just sad that our system seems to require candidates be "managed" in order to have the best chance of getting elected.

Small wonder we never seem to really know a candidate until after they've been elected and we find out what they are really all about.

Often as not to our dismay. :(

Last edited:
I wonder if he got paid to tank the election? He is a democrat and we already know Hillary loves to rig elections.

Sent from my grapefruit using smoke signals.

I think he is trying, he's just not used to being managed.
Agreed.

Let's see if he can do it for 48 hours.

Actually, it's kinda' funny to be honest.

Not Presidential - but humorous.

I think this week Trump effectively killed his campaign. His poll numbers are in the tank and still dropping in free fall. I looked back at the polls and it appears that on average Trump has only been ahead of Hillary a few times and most of that time was coming off the Email scandal most specifically Comey's speech or fresh off the RNC. Furthermore , even higher than Hillary in the polls again. What do you think?

Lol....a little early isn't it ? To declare Trumps campaign dead ?

I think this week Trump effectively killed his campaign. His poll numbers are in the tank and still dropping in free fall. I looked back at the polls and it appears that on average Trump has only been ahead of Hillary a few times and most of that time was coming off the Email scandal most specifically Comey's speech or fresh off the RNC. Furthermore, I don't think Trump will ever be close or even higher than Hillary in the polls again. What do you think?

His lack of message other than "Muslims are bad! Let's build a wall and keep Mexicans out! I'm not the establishment" worked great for the clueless primary voters. It won't work in the General Election. Which is why he never should have been nominated in the first place.

His lack of message other than "Muslims are bad! Let's build a wall and keep Mexicans out! I'm not the establishment" worked great for the clueless primary voters. It won't work in the General Election. Which is why he never should have been nominated in the first place.

I maintain he only has about 35% support nationwide which is why he won easily in the primary but won't go any farther in the general

I believe he can bounce back only because Hillary is walking through a landmine field of her own doing. It would not take much to blow up her campaign. And, that is why Donald is still a very much viable candidate.

I maintain he only has about 35% support nationwide which is why he won easily in the primary but won't go any farther in the general

Yup. I think unless they can make all of the email stuff stick against Hillary, his poll numbers will continue to drop. I even struggle with the idea that one out of 3 people in this country could support him.

Yup. I think unless they can make all of the email stuff stick against Hillary, his poll numbers will continue to drop. I even struggle with the idea that one out of 3 people in this country could support him.

To be fair to his supporters, I can see how his core message resonates. Who would not want America to be great again?

I visited Saltillo, Mexico recently on business. It was rather disturbing to see all the American automotive manufacturers building and operating giant factories there. It was especially haunting to me, since I grew up in the Detroit area and remember exactly what we once had there. So, that a candidate who promises to bring all that back should sell well to a large segment of the population is no surprise. In fact, I would argue that if the messenger was not such a buffoon, his message would actually be a winning ticket.

To be fair to his supporters, I can see how his core message resonates. Who would not want America to be great again?

I visited Saltillo, Mexico recently on business. It was rather disturbing to see all the American automotive manufacturers building and operating giant factories there. It was especially haunting to me, since I grew up in the Detroit area and remember exactly what we once had there. So, that a candidate who promises to bring all that back should sell well to a large segment of the population is no surprise. In fact, I would argue that if the messenger was not such a buffoon, his message would actually be a winning ticket.

"Make America great again" isn't a message any more than "Hope and Change" was a message.

"Make America great again" isn't a message any more than "Hope and Change" was a message.

It actually conveys a more solid message than Hope and Change, IMO. Make America Great again may be a slogan, but his campaign rhetoric definitely includes bringing factories back and rekindling our decimated manufacturing base. It's a good message. The problem is, he drowns it out with his other rhetoric which is much less "positive." Also, his many lies and exaggerations take away his argument that Hillary is a liar. Anything positive he has to say is doomed from there.

The other issue, one which his fans ignore, is his four bankruptcies. How can anyone trust a scam artist who steps on creditors, employees, customers, and investors like that while he flies around in a private jet? IMO, it's the biggest tell that Trump has no intention of making America great again.

It actually conveys a more solid message than Hope and Change, IMO. Make America Great again may be a slogan, but his campaign rhetoric definitely includes bringing factories back and rekindling our decimated manufacturing base. It's a good message. The problem is, he drowns it out with his other rhetoric which is much less "positive." Also, his many lies and exaggerations take away his argument that Hillary is a liar. Anything positive he has to say is doomed from there.

The other issue, one which his fans ignore, is his four bankruptcies. How can anyone trust a scam artist who steps on creditors, employees, customers, and investors like that while he flies around in a private jet? IMO, it's the biggest tell that Trump has no intention of making America great again.

A man who outsourced the manufacturing for his own businesses saying he's going to bring manufacturing back to the country.

His bankruptcies aren't an issue for me. I don't like them, but I know Atlantic City quite well.

He's going to rebound because:

1) Convention bumps are temporary.

2) Trump will have better weeks for himself

3) Clinton will find herself submerged in internal problems for a time. I'm thinking about whatever Left-wing Assange has up his sleeves will have some impact with the Left being upset at Clinton.

4) Republican voters are surprisingly resilient upholders of moral relativism. Especially the evangelical voters, who embraced a man who is practically antithetical to their very Sunday preaching.

A man who outsourced the manufacturing for his own businesses saying he's going to bring manufacturing back to the country.
Yep. Clearly a bit of a mixed message. Eh? :lol:

His bankruptcies aren't an issue for me. I don't like them, but I know Atlantic City quite well.
IMO, goes to character, or lack thereof. When you write off business losses, dumping the pain on the employees, creditors, investors and customers who counted on you and took you at your word, you should not leave the scene in a private jet. Well, you can. But, then don't be surprised when people call you a con artist.

Back
Top Bottom