• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Can the way a woman "dresses" be distracting?

Hmm...

Well, some questions arise:

1. Why do women wear makeup? Most men don't and those few who do are either trying to hide embarrassing features or enhance "good" features.

2. Why do women wear revealing clothing, especially in the winter months when they can't claim climate as the reason? Short skirts/dresses, armless tops with low necklines, high heels...even when it's cold as hell and icy streets abound. Or conversely, tight sweats with words on their posteriors?

3. Why do so many flirt shamelessly even when they aren't really interested in the men they flirted with?

I'm not a woman, so I can't provide a definitive answer...but it seems to me it's done on purpose to attract attention; more often than not from the opposite sex.

I believe this is a major reason for dress codes in the workplace, to reduce such distractions and prevent "sexual harassment" issues from arising.

The problem is, it seems such codes don't work for many women who often claim it is sexist to require them to conform to uniformity simply because "men can't control their urges."

IMO it is counter-intuitive to blame males for reacting to provocative acts and dress. :shrug:

In many cases, they're forced to. By dudes.

Nicola Thorp sent home from PwC receptionist job for 'not wearing heels' | Metro News

That's where yours might be based, but that's not necessarily the norm.

My point is that woman can dress in a distracting way. Women may intend to be sexually appealing, especially more so than their peers (other women). That is the purpose of sexual attraction, to be more strongly sexually attracted to a single individual than other individuals. Without that type of strong attraction, monogamy and monoandry could not exist except as a facade for polyamorous couples.

A sexually active, heterosexual person has the goal to attract a member of the opposite sex. Success in doing so is directly related to how they feel about themselves.

If it's in a workplace, then it's still possible to be distracted by inappropriate dress. Take for example, the hypothetical workplace which is mandated by hypothetical federal law to allow topless dress as an equal opportunity employer. I for one, would find that distracting and unprofessional in both men and women.

Business casual is designed to eliminate distraction while providing a large amount of options for women. In general, men have notably fewer options for dress. An example is that men frequently wear pants, but not dresses in public. Women wearing pants in public won't turn any heads, unless of course, they aren't wearing anything on top.

Yes, the way people are dressed can be distracting for people who are sexually attracted to them. However, that is not the object's responsibility; it is the subject's responsibility to control themselves.

Gee, that's a little bit like saying that people can be romantically attracted to one another. However, being the object of romantic attraction is not the object's responsibility; it's the subjects responsibility to control themselves.

Wait a minute, that's a little bit like saying that people shouldn't be coerced into romantic relationships!

Faces.jpg

Yes it is a legitimate complaint. Dressing in a way that advertises your sexual prowess is distracting. If a man wore shorts that people seem too short it absolutely would cause a distraction. Further the man's sexual orientation would be questioned and he'd even possibly encounter violence against him.

Men Tend to conform much more.

This man was thrown out of Disney land for dressing this way. I saw twelve year old girls in a barbeque joint on Sunday dressed the exact same way.
Disneyland-gay-gay_640x345_acf_cropped.jpg

That actually is well put. I didn't even think about sexual orientation as being a part of the question.

No. Self esteem is much more than how sexually attractive one is.

I agree. It can't be discounted though. I have started dressing better to fit my size (I'm a big dude with broad shoulders). I feel better about myself. I'm not dressing for women. But it does feel good when my girlfriend notices.

There is a difference between noticing and being distracted. I will notice an attractive, well endowed woman wearing a shirt that shows off her cleavage. I might even do a subtle double take. But it has never interfered with my ability to do my job. I am more than capable of thinking "nice" and then immediately carrying on with the business at hand.

The excuse is a little more understandable if we are talking about a teenage boy going through puberty. But an adult man? Grow the **** up.

Agreed. The "distracting" remark sounds like someone cannot control themselves. If that is the case, it's not the woman's fault.

Here's a radical thought, women don't dress to impress men, they dress for themselves and their own sense of self-esteem.

I've always thought the latter part of your statement was dumb.
I mean, how does it effect yourself esteem?

If people are not supposed to judge you, by how you dress, then why do you judge you, by how you dress.
If people aren't supposed to care, why do you care?

In reality, people are social animals and how we dress is often a way of social signaling to other people.
Whether it be "I'm attractive," "I'm middle class," etc.

Pretending to think that how you dress, only affects you, denies human biology.

I was reading about something and basically this is what I read. It was a complaint about a man who stated the woman made him uncomfortable the way she dressed and it was "distracting." Anyway.

So here is the question: is it perfectly acceptable for a man to be distracted by the way a woman dresses? And if this is a place of business or a place where professionalism is expected, should this be a legitimate complaint? Additionally...would it be fair for a woman to complain about a man's clothing and it being distracting?

I think it is unfair to criticize someone for noticing the opposite sex. And then you have to consider that the clothing industry exists pretty 95% due to that with the other 5% having to due with actually providing cover/utility. What is the point of a short skirt on a shapely woman, or a particularly tight t on a well built man?

The day men quit being distracted is the day women will have to support themselves. A woman who worked for me complained that when she wore low-cut blouses and bent over he desk, men looked. My response was, "Duh! Don't wear low-cut blouses."

Now another question. Do women who show you their thongs have a right to complain when you look?

There is a difference between noticing and being distracted. I will notice an attractive, well endowed woman wearing a shirt that shows off her cleavage. I might even do a subtle double take. But it has never interfered with my ability to do my job. I am more than capable of thinking "nice" and then immediately carrying on with the business at hand.
The excuse is a little more understandable if we are talking about a teenage boy going through puberty. But an adult man? Grow the **** up.
I would typically agree. I've never seen anything so distracting in the workplace that I couldn't get my work done.
I should say for any length of time. I've had vendors come in for meetings who were obviously "dressed to sell it" and this was temporarily (seconds to a minute) distracting but not so much that it swayed my decision on who to purchase products from or to the point of not being able to get the meet and greet done and over with.
But I also know that not all people are wired the same and I don't fault people in general unless it gets truly annoying. Truly annoying example:
I worked at a office building for a port authority. Behind the office building (that we worked on the third floor of) was the Port's fire department.
About twice a week, in the AM, the firemen would jog around our building and some other selected path of the Port.
The third floor was comprised of mostly women and the majority of them would flock to one of the gigantic office windows and go gaga over these jogging firemen.
I thought at the time though this was a number of years ago, that a) this isn't very professional and b) if guys ogled a bunch of women outside like that there would likely be hell to pay.
People do not always act like adults and it isn't always a bad thing but sometimes it is unprofessional and distracting.

They should all be made to wear sacks, baggy ones, so you won't be distracted by curves or cleavage, with a veil to cover their faces in case an impure thought should sneak into your brain, the hussies!
And only with their husbands. The unmarried ones should not be able to leave their homes at all.

Yes, the way people are dressed can be distracting for people who are sexually attracted to them. However, that is not the object's responsibility; it is the subject's responsibility to control themselves.
Not completely true.
If your workplace has a dress code or even if you are following common sense, then you do not dress like an advertisement for Victoria's Secret at work. There is responsibility for everyone involved. A man should not be so lacking in self control that a pretty woman walking by makes him suddenly incompetent and a woman should dress professionally in a work place.
Outside of work, people can do what they want within the law.

The day men quit being distracted is the day women will have to support themselves. A woman who worked for me complained that when she wore low-cut blouses and bent over he desk, men looked. My response was, "Duh! Don't wear low-cut blouses."

Now another question. Do women who show you their thongs have a right to complain when you look?

Haha, don't look at me, just pay me! :lol:

Men aren't robots, sorry lady.

I've always thought the latter part of your statement was dumb.
I mean, how does it effect yourself esteem?

If people are not supposed to judge you, by how you dress, then why do you judge you, by how you dress.
If people aren't supposed to care, why do you care?

In reality, people are social animals and how we dress is often a way of social signaling to other people.
Whether it be "I'm attractive," "I'm middle class," etc.

Pretending to think that how you dress, only affects you, denies human biology.

I think you're making leaps here that aren't really connected to what I said.

People dress mainly for themselves and their own sense of self-esteem. That means dressing in ways that make themselves feel good about how they look. Of course how other people react affects things, especially people you are sexually attracted to, but this idea that women dress for men is just sexist crap. It is a mixture of things, and I don't see anywhere we disagree.

People dress mainly for themselves and their own sense of self-esteem. That means dressing in ways that make themselves feel good about how they look. Of course how other people react affects things, especially people you are sexually attracted to, but this idea that women dress for men is just sexist crap. It is a mixture of things, and I don't see anywhere we disagree.

Not to be a pain here, but I have had some women say exactly that and then five minutes later ask me if this or that outfit would work better to get more tips from the "gentlemen" at her bar.

Not to be a pain here, but I have had some women say exactly that and then five minutes later ask me if this or that outfit would work better to get more tips from the "gentlemen" at her bar.

That's just smart business.

That actually is well put. I didn't even think about sexual orientation as being a part of the question.

Many people don't, but seeing a man dressed in the way the man in the picture was would definitely generate discomfort, much more than a busty women in a low cut top.

Ive known women who dressed for the explicit purpose of influencing a man. for instance dressing sexy to beat out other women when applying for a job. Cant really hold it against them.

Here's a radical thought, women don't dress to impress men, they dress for themselves and their own sense of self-esteem.

Agreed. I feel so confident when I know I look sharp. But I will admit that I appreciate the compliments of other women. No offense, guys, but I think you tend to see the overall picture whereas another woman is going to notice, for example, how brilliantly a woman has color-coordinated or accessorized.

Just my two cents.

Ive known women who dressed for the explicit purpose of influencing a man. for instance dressing sexy to beat out other women when applying for a job. Cant really hold it against them.

If woman can do it to beat out other women, they can do it to beat out men when applying for a job. What do you think someone might do to get a job in LA, for instance? :lol:

Agreed. I feel so confident when I know I look sharp. But I will admit that I appreciate the compliments of other women. No offense, guys, but I think you tend to see the overall picture whereas another woman is going to notice, for example, how brilliantly a woman has color-coordinated or accessorized.

Just my two cents.

You mean because we don't want to risk being accused of harassment? I always appreciate compliments of women because they are so scarce.

You mean because we don't want to risk being accused of harassment? I always appreciate compliments of women because they are so scarce.

Oh, well, I make a point of complimenting men, largely because I am so thrilled that some of their fashion constraints have been lifted in the past decade or so. What's really thrilling to me is that so many of them actually pick out their own shirts. Guys are now allowed to wear aubergine (eggplant/dull purple) and teal and pink, and I think this is fabulous.

Yes, even commenting that somebody's shirt looks "great" can be misinterpreted as "harassment." So know your audience. Say nothing at work unless you know the other person well.

Oh, well, I make a point of complimenting men, largely because I am so thrilled that some of their fashion constraints have been lifted in the past decade or so. What's really thrilling to me is that so many of them actually pick out their own shirts. Guys are now allowed to wear aubergine (eggplant/dull purple) and teal and pink, and I think this is fabulous.

Yes, even commenting that somebody's shirt looks "great" can be misinterpreted as "harassment." So know your audience. Say nothing at work unless you know the other person well.

Unless you know the other person well? These are people who have shown up to work long enough for you to point out a new color they wear. Don't you know guys well enough? I think women look to men for guidance on men's issues, and when they see men not commenting on other men, they think it's appropriate to not comment on men's wear. Conversely, I regularly see women comment on women, yet when I make a similar comment it might be seen as inappropriate, or not valuable to the discussion.

Back
Top Bottom