• Please keep all posts on the Rittenhouse verdict here: Rittenhouse Verdict. Note the moderator warnings in the thread. The thread will be heavily moderated with a zero tolerance policy for any baiting, flaming, trolling or other rule breaks. Stick to the topic and not the other posters. Thank you.
  • This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Can the way a woman "dresses" be distracting?

blackjack50

Banned
DP Veteran
Joined
Sep 14, 2011
Messages
26,629
Reaction score
6,655
Location
Florida
Gender
Undisclosed
Political Leaning
Conservative
I was reading about something and basically this is what I read. It was a complaint about a man who stated the woman made him uncomfortable the way she dressed and it was "distracting." Anyway.

So here is the question: is it perfectly acceptable for a man to be distracted by the way a woman dresses? And if this is a place of business or a place where professionalism is expected, should this be a legitimate complaint? Additionally...would it be fair for a woman to complain about a man's clothing and it being distracting?

I think it is unfair to criticize someone for noticing the opposite sex. And then you have to consider that the clothing industry exists pretty 95% due to that with the other 5% having to due with actually providing cover/utility. What is the point of a short skirt on a shapely woman, or a particularly tight t on a well built man?
 

Skeptic Bob

DP Veteran
Joined
Oct 6, 2014
Messages
16,626
Reaction score
19,488
Location
Texas
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Left
There is a difference between noticing and being distracted. I will notice an attractive, well endowed woman wearing a shirt that shows off her cleavage. I might even do a subtle double take. But it has never interfered with my ability to do my job. I am more than capable of thinking "nice" and then immediately carrying on with the business at hand.

The excuse is a little more understandable if we are talking about a teenage boy going through puberty. But an adult man? Grow the **** up.
 

Captain Adverse

Classical Liberal Sage
DP Veteran
Joined
Jun 22, 2013
Messages
16,640
Reaction score
21,932
Location
Mid-West USA
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Other
I was reading about something and basically this is what I read. It was a complaint about a man who stated the woman made him uncomfortable the way she dressed and it was "distracting." Anyway.

So here is the question: is it perfectly acceptable for a man to be distracted by the way a woman dresses? And if this is a place of business or a place where professionalism is expected, should this be a legitimate complaint? Additionally...would it be fair for a woman to complain about a man's clothing and it being distracting?

I think it is unfair to criticize someone for noticing the opposite sex. And then you have to consider that the clothing industry exists pretty 95% due to that with the other 5% having to due with actually providing cover/utility. What is the point of a short skirt on a shapely woman, or a particularly tight t on a well built man?

Hmm...

Well, some questions arise:

1. Why do women wear makeup? Most men don't and those few who do are either trying to hide embarrassing features or enhance "good" features.

2. Why do women wear revealing clothing, especially in the winter months when they can't claim climate as the reason? Short skirts/dresses, armless tops with low necklines, high heels...even when it's cold as hell and icy streets abound. Or conversely, tight sweats with words on their posteriors?

3. Why do so many flirt shamelessly even when they aren't really interested in the men they flirted with?

I'm not a woman, so I can't provide a definitive answer...but it seems to me it's done on purpose to attract attention; more often than not from the opposite sex.

I believe this is a major reason for dress codes in the workplace, to reduce such distractions and prevent "sexual harassment" issues from arising.

The problem is, it seems such codes don't work for many women who often claim it is sexist to require them to conform to uniformity simply because "men can't control their urges."

IMO it is counter-intuitive to blame males for reacting to provocative acts and dress. :shrug:
 
Last edited:

Hawkeye10

Buttermilk Man
DP Veteran
Joined
Dec 29, 2015
Messages
45,404
Reaction score
11,744
Location
Olympia Wa
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Other
If the woman did not dress that way on purpose because she wanted to distract guys like me I would be disappointed.
 

Henrin

Banned
DP Veteran
Joined
Mar 3, 2010
Messages
60,458
Reaction score
12,357
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Libertarian
I was reading about something and basically this is what I read. It was a complaint about a man who stated the woman made him uncomfortable the way she dressed and it was "distracting." Anyway.

So here is the question: is it perfectly acceptable for a man to be distracted by the way a woman dresses?

It would be silly of someone to claim it is unacceptable for someone to be distracted by someone they find attractive.
 

blackjack50

Banned
DP Veteran
Joined
Sep 14, 2011
Messages
26,629
Reaction score
6,655
Location
Florida
Gender
Undisclosed
Political Leaning
Conservative
Can the way a woman "dresses" be distracting?

There is a difference between noticing and being distracted. I will notice an attractive, well endowed woman wearing a shirt that shows off her cleavage. I might even do a subtle double take. But it has never interfered with my ability to do my job. I am more than capable of thinking "nice" and then immediately carrying on with the business at hand.

The excuse is a little more understandable if we are talking about a teenage boy going through puberty. But an adult man? Grow the **** up.

Ok. Maybe she is a teacher working with kids. Fits the bill just fine. You are saying that it doesn't become distracting when everyone is doing double takes? Or how about this: should she be allowed to complain that people are doing double takes?

How distracting would it be if wore pants that showed my package? You are capable of moving on from that? And can I bitch that you are looking at my package?

See...here is my problem. You are saying, "be a grown up and don't get distracted." But you are taking notice too. Shouldn't the person who is supposed to dress professionally be the one who should "act like a grown up?" You can dress attractively without being distracting.

And seriously think about how you would feel if I was almost hanging brain and you didn't have to imagine my package In a professional setting. So let's not pretend that only "hormonal kids" will get distracted by inappropriate clothing.

Ps

I would like to add that I'm not stating that "distracted" is having an erection with your tongue hanging out and everything. Hence my comments about myself dressing with a distracting clothing on. My point is in short that: distracting doesn't always mean sexually attracted. It could mean the exact opposite. And I'm reiterating professionalism is expected. So a place of business/school/etc
 
Last edited:

William Rea

DP Veteran
Joined
Aug 23, 2010
Messages
8,949
Reaction score
2,231
Location
UK
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Socialist
There is a difference between noticing and being distracted. I will notice an attractive, well endowed woman wearing a shirt that shows off her cleavage. I might even do a subtle double take. But it has never interfered with my ability to do my job. I am more than capable of thinking "nice" and then immediately carrying on with the business at hand.

The excuse is a little more understandable if we are talking about a teenage boy going through puberty. But an adult man? Grow the **** up.

I tend to agree HOWEVER, I also see the sense in a dress code in professional environments.
 

RetiredNSmilin

Banned
DP Veteran
Joined
Jul 13, 2015
Messages
4,242
Reaction score
1,985
Location
East Texas
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Independent
Forget the miniskirts

My biggest and most main distraction is sun dresses on a windy day.

You would think I would grow the **** up, just like BrewerBob said, but nope.....

When I see a shapely woman wearing a light and fluffy sun dress on a windy day, I revert back to about 14 years old.

Pathetic, I know, but it is what it is. I have seen a zillion women's panties in public, but for some reason I never tire of it.
 

Crovax

DP Veteran
Joined
Feb 15, 2014
Messages
14,513
Reaction score
8,010
Location
South Texas
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Conservative
There is a difference between noticing and being distracted. I will notice an attractive, well endowed woman wearing a shirt that shows off her cleavage. I might even do a subtle double take. But it has never interfered with my ability to do my job. I am more than capable of thinking "nice" and then immediately carrying on with the business at hand.

The excuse is a little more understandable if we are talking about a teenage boy going through puberty. But an adult man? Grow the **** up.

Yeah I'm sure there would be no distraction if you showed up to work wearing a cod piece...
 

Manc Skipper

Wrinkly member
DP Veteran
Joined
Jan 25, 2008
Messages
35,227
Reaction score
24,060
Location
Southern England
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
They should all be made to wear sacks, baggy ones, so you won't be distracted by curves or cleavage, with a veil to cover their faces in case an impure thought should sneak into your brain, the hussies!
 

Jesse Booth

we live in a society
DP Veteran
Joined
Jun 12, 2014
Messages
11,036
Reaction score
6,696
Location
https://www.debatepolitics.com
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Left
They should all be made to wear sacks, baggy ones, so you won't be distracted by curves or cleavage, with a veil to cover their faces in case an impure thought should sneak into your brain, the hussies!

I suggest the sacks be clear plastic ones, so that men in the workplace are not bummed out by all the dull brown coloration in the bags.
 

Your Star

Rage More!
DP Veteran
Joined
May 15, 2010
Messages
27,241
Reaction score
19,931
Location
Georgia
Gender
Female
Political Leaning
Progressive
Here's a radical thought, women don't dress to impress men, they dress for themselves and their own sense of self-esteem.
 

Lutherf

DP Veteran
Joined
Sep 16, 2012
Messages
41,629
Reaction score
48,065
Location
Tucson, AZ
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Conservative
Here's a radical thought, women don't dress to impress men, they dress for themselves and their own sense of self-esteem.

Sure, but I'm willing to bet that a little ogle now and then doesn't exactly hurt that self esteem.
 

Your Star

Rage More!
DP Veteran
Joined
May 15, 2010
Messages
27,241
Reaction score
19,931
Location
Georgia
Gender
Female
Political Leaning
Progressive
Sure, but I'm willing to bet that a little ogle now and then doesn't exactly hurt that self esteem.

No, but to say that the entirety of a woman's fashion decisions is based on a desire to please men, is a clear example of sexism.
 

cpwill

DP Veteran
Joined
Dec 20, 2009
Messages
68,035
Reaction score
34,531
Location
USofA
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Conservative
I was reading about something and basically this is what I read. It was a complaint about a man who stated the woman made him uncomfortable the way she dressed and it was "distracting." Anyway.

So here is the question: is it perfectly acceptable for a man to be distracted by the way a woman dresses? And if this is a place of business or a place where professionalism is expected, should this be a legitimate complaint? Additionally...would it be fair for a woman to complain about a man's clothing and it being distracting?

I think it is unfair to criticize someone for noticing the opposite sex. And then you have to consider that the clothing industry exists pretty 95% due to that with the other 5% having to due with actually providing cover/utility. What is the point of a short skirt on a shapely woman, or a particularly tight t on a well built man?

As you point out, the purpose of some clothing is to attract attention. Yes, clothing can be distracting.
 

Visbek

Stuck In The Circle
DP Veteran
Joined
Nov 28, 2011
Messages
20,071
Reaction score
13,752
Gender
Undisclosed
Political Leaning
Other
The HR department is thataway ---->
 

blackjack50

Banned
DP Veteran
Joined
Sep 14, 2011
Messages
26,629
Reaction score
6,655
Location
Florida
Gender
Undisclosed
Political Leaning
Conservative
Forget the miniskirts

My biggest and most main distraction is sun dresses on a windy day.

You would think I would grow the **** up, just like BrewerBob said, but nope.....

When I see a shapely woman wearing a light and fluffy sun dress on a windy day, I revert back to about 14 years old.

Pathetic, I know, but it is what it is. I have seen a zillion women's panties in public, but for some reason I never tire of it.

Well go be quite frank...it IS biological for men and women to check out the opposite sex. Numerous studies have been done on it. It is ingrained to the point that it would go unnoticed by most. Men will scan a woman in a figure 8 and women look for the triangle.
 

blackjack50

Banned
DP Veteran
Joined
Sep 14, 2011
Messages
26,629
Reaction score
6,655
Location
Florida
Gender
Undisclosed
Political Leaning
Conservative
Here's a radical thought, women don't dress to impress men, they dress for themselves and their own sense of self-esteem.

Um? Ok? That isn't true. Women do all of them. They aren't mutually exclusive.
 

CLAX1911

Supreme knower of all
DP Veteran
Joined
Nov 12, 2012
Messages
54,923
Reaction score
11,412
Location
Houston, in the great state of Texas
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Conservative
I was reading about something and basically this is what I read. It was a complaint about a man who stated the woman made him uncomfortable the way she dressed and it was "distracting." Anyway.

So here is the question: is it perfectly acceptable for a man to be distracted by the way a woman dresses? And if this is a place of business or a place where professionalism is expected, should this be a legitimate complaint? Additionally...would it be fair for a woman to complain about a man's clothing and it being distracting?

I think it is unfair to criticize someone for noticing the opposite sex. And then you have to consider that the clothing industry exists pretty 95% due to that with the other 5% having to due with actually providing cover/utility. What is the point of a short skirt on a shapely woman, or a particularly tight t on a well built man?

Yes it is a legitimate complaint. Dressing in a way that advertises your sexual prowess is distracting. If a man wore shorts that people seem too short it absolutely would cause a distraction. Further the man's sexual orientation would be questioned and he'd even possibly encounter violence against him.

Men Tend to conform much more.

This man was thrown out of Disney land for dressing this way. I saw twelve year old girls in a barbeque joint on Sunday dressed the exact same way.
Disneyland-gay-gay_640x345_acf_cropped.jpg
 
Last edited:

Celebrity

DP Veteran
Joined
May 13, 2016
Messages
5,257
Reaction score
761
Location
VT, USA
Gender
Undisclosed
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Here's a radical thought, women don't dress to impress men, they dress for themselves and their own sense of self-esteem.

Isn't the self esteem of heterosexual women a direct consequence of how sexually attractive they are to... drumroll please... men?
 

Your Star

Rage More!
DP Veteran
Joined
May 15, 2010
Messages
27,241
Reaction score
19,931
Location
Georgia
Gender
Female
Political Leaning
Progressive
Isn't the self esteem of heterosexual women a direct consequence of how sexually attractive they are to... drumroll please... men?

No. Self esteem is much more than how sexually attractive one is.
 

Celebrity

DP Veteran
Joined
May 13, 2016
Messages
5,257
Reaction score
761
Location
VT, USA
Gender
Undisclosed
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
No. Self esteem is much more than how sexually attractive one is.

This must just be one of those differences between men and women. Does sex increase self esteem? I think so.
 

Fletch

DP Veteran
Joined
Feb 7, 2012
Messages
41,153
Reaction score
18,398
Location
Mentor Ohio
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Libertarian
No. Self esteem is much more than how sexually attractive one is.

You are right. Self-esteem comes from the self, not from others. A person with high self esteem doesn't concern himself/herself with what other think.
 

Celebrity

DP Veteran
Joined
May 13, 2016
Messages
5,257
Reaction score
761
Location
VT, USA
Gender
Undisclosed
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
No man is an island. Right?
 
Top Bottom