• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Can the GOP Survive Under a Trump Brand of National Policies?

Can the GOP Survive Under a Trump Brand of National Policies?

• Yes, GOP can survive under a Trump presidency

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • No, GOP will fade away under a Trump presidency

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • I don't care one way or another - I'll never vote Hillary

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I care, but I will never vote Hillary or Trump

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Objective Voice

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
I came across an Op-Ed in the NYTimes that referenced the letter from the top 50 GOP officials stating they'd never vote for Donald Trump because the believe he'd be the “most reckless president in American history.” Besides reiterating this claim and outlining to Republican voters who are still sitting on the sidelines despite why a vote for Hillary would most surely blunt a Trump presidency, the Op-Ed's author, Ms. Glassman, also theorizes that:

Defeating Mr. Trump soundly will help save the Republican Party. If he wins, a party built on freedom and internationalism will become entrenched as a party of authoritarianism and isolation, which means that within a few years it will atrophy and die.

So, I was wonder how Republicans (mostly conservatives) feel about this. Do you think Mr. Glassman is right or could the Republican Party survive by re-branding itself in Trump's image of nationalism and isolationism?

If the top 50 GOP "officials" can't control congress critters then neither could Trump. The federal government will keep on growing, as will the national debt and crony capitalism, no matter who the POTUS is.

i've thought for a while that it will be worse for the GOP if he wins. historically speaking, if it's Clinton, congressional majorities will lean more Republican after the midterm. also, she's more likely than any president in recent history to be a one termer because of Democratic fatigue (sixteen years of the same party holding the WH is a long time.) in this scenario, you have Paul Ryan waiting in the wings, and a friendly congress to welcome him.

in the other scenario, you have a blowhard who will probably lose congress at the midterm i doubt that i'm the only one who has figured this out, so my guess is that the GOP establishment wants him to lose as much or more than the Democrats do.

Trump is a nobody that serves only one purpose. He was put in place to shake up the establishment. He can either follow the conservatives, or he can go away when his time is up. The one scenario that will not happen is that conservatives will surrender their positions and follow him like little puppies. The OP-Ed either thinks very little of conservatives, or very highly of Trump, both are an error on the NYT's part.

I came across an Op-Ed in the NYTimes that referenced the letter from the top 50 GOP officials stating they'd never vote for Donald Trump because the believe he'd be the “most reckless president in American history.” Besides reiterating this claim and outlining to Republican voters who are still sitting on the sidelines despite why a vote for Hillary would most surely blunt a Trump presidency, the Op-Ed's author, Ms. Glassman, also theorizes that:

So, I was wonder how Republicans (mostly conservatives) feel about this. Do you think Mr. Glassman is right or could the Republican Party survive by re-branding itself in Trump's image of nationalism and isolationism?
I think they are right. Trump has already done real, lasting damage to the brand. Were he to win, he would wreck Conservatism.

Sent from my XT1526 using Tapatalk

The party will form around Trump. The GOP won't die, but we will see a much different set of policy positions from republicans. Parties change over time anyways.

You forgot one. I don't care and will not vote for either.

The Republican party will survive like they always do. Nothing but a NYT trying to pander votes for Hilary, nothing more.

The Republican party (narrowly) survived two terms of a George W. Bush presidency.

It can survive a Trump presidency. That's not to say it WILL, but at least in the best case scenario (Trump = GWB 2.0) it will survive.

Back
Top Bottom