• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Can someone please explain Trump to me?

German guy

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
Okay, I don't get it. How is it possible that someone like Trump even has a remote chance of winning the Presidential elections in America?

From my outside perspective, that looks totally absurd.

A man who has no political experience whatsoever but is an entertainer, and a particularly tasteless one at that, who is a huge blabbermouth without any substance whatsoever, enters the stage. He threws a few temper tantrums, mocks and offends everybody who gets in his way, spews hate, hate and hate ... and suddenly wins the Republican nomination and now has a good chance of being elected President. And this it has never been as clear before that there really is no substance whatsoever in this man, and he's an empty bag full of hot air.

His blabbermouth went so far even making the most irresponsible claims, because he apparently felt offending people to attract media attention is more important than evoking the impression he's fit for the duty.

If he wins, I can't help but seriously consider the possibility that the republican system of government has proven to be a failure, because the people is not just too stupid to take decisions, but even way too stupid to choose representatives making decisions for them.

So what's going on? And what has happend to the FGOP (formerly Grand Old Party)? Have they no dignity left whatsoever to allow such a clown to represent them?

Or is the explanation for Trump's relative success that his opponent, Hillary Clinton, is so unpopular or even hated, that many people just switch off their brains and vote "anybody but her"?

Though Clinton at least obviously has the experience for office: First Lady, Senator, Secretary of State. She knows how the game is played. Perhaps she's indeed very much "establishment", and certainly there are many reasons to dislike her -- but when facing the choice between an experienced person like her and an empty bag full of hot air without any experience -- how can anybody in his right mind even consider voting for the empty bag?

Please explain.

Okay, I don't get it. How is it possible that someone like Trump even has a remote chance of winning the Presidential elections in America?

A man who has no political experience whatsoever but is an entertainer, and a particularly tasteless one at that, who is a huge blabbermouth without any substance whatsoever, enters the stage. He threws a few temper tantrums, mocks and offends everybody who gets in his way, spews hate, hate and hate ... and suddenly wins the Republican nomination and now has a good chance of being elected President. And this it has never been as clear before that there really is no substance whatsoever in this man, and he's an empty bag full of hot air.

His blabbermouth went so far even making the most irresponsible claims, because he apparently felt offending people to attract media attention is more important than evoking the impression he's fit for the duty.

If he wins, I can't help but seriously consider the possibility that the republican system of government has proven to be a failure, because the people is not just too stupid to take decisions, but even way too stupid to choose representatives making decisions for them.

So what's going on? And what has happend to the FGOP (formerly Grand Old Party)? Have they no dignity left whatsoever to allow such a clown to represent them?

Or is the explanation for Trump's relative success that his opponent, Hillary Clinton, is so unpopular or even hated, that many people just switch off their brains and vote "anybody but her"?

Though Clinton at least obviously has the experience for office: First Lady, Senator, Secretary of State. She knows how the game is played. Perhaps she's indeed very much "establishment", and certainly there are many reasons to dislike her -- but when facing the choice between an experienced person like her and an empty bag full of hot air without any experience -- how can anybody in his right mind even consider voting for the empty bag?

Please explain.

Answers highlighted in red.

Please explain.

What are the many reasons for disliking Hillary. Answer that question and you basically answer your own question.

It seems sort of pot calling the kettle blackish for someone from Germany calling out another nation for their choice of leaders.

Please explain.

Most of the Trump supporters think that a good business man equals a god president. It doesnt matter if Trump is actually a bad business man; only that he has money. So they think that Trump can make the USA a successful business. Which coincides with the whole GOP platform about lower the national debt. Basically they are suckers for slick politicians. And they buy into the hope campaign that Obama ran on. Make America great again = hope. In other words its the Republicans turn to vote for a shyster like Obama. Though I have to admit Trump is just a joke. I mean he is after all a conspiracy theorist. He has no clue how the government works.
He probably couldnt pass a grade school level civics exam. s a president I doubt that he could make it a full year before either resigning or being impeached for whatever dumb ass this that he would do.

Please explain.

I'm sorry, I can't. I'm American, and I can't explain it to you. This election has left me totally gobsmacked.

I do not understand how anyone can look at this repulsively ignorant, hateful, fraudulent moron and think, "Yeah, that's the guy whose finger I want on the button." I don't know.

My only guess is that many decades of erosion of education, combined with severe political unrest, has come together to create a general public with a large number of people that are both incredibly stupid and intensely angry. And the guy spewing garbage and attacking the "establishment" (even though he is very much part of it himself, albeit not in the same way Hillary is) reflects what they themselves think and say. They don't know enough about politics or even the basics of research to understand how to assess him as a potential president, or that he isn't even good at what he actually does, much less that he is unsuitable to the point of danger for our highest office.

That's all I've got.

Last edited:
The irrational bias has already been exposed. When people make false claims about a person, they first have to undue those false beliefs to have any accurate understanding.
That isn't likely to happen.

Read your own country's history from the 1920s and 1930s.. there are lots of similarities and it explains a lot.

Trump is the next TEDDY ROOSEVELT who stops monopolies that stops progress..... Trump will bring Inventions and competition.. the current RICH stops inventions and competitions

Read your own country's history from the 1920s and 1930s.. there are lots of similarities and it explains a lot.

.....Except that Trump wouldn't be able to get anything he's proposed through Congress. A fifth of it if he's lucky.

Please explain.

That is the problem with charismatic performers with a story. Anyone that can separate themselves from the charisma and look behind the story will marvel at the weird behavior of those that can't. But it is always so that you or I might be wrong. I watched and marveled as Obama won. No relevant experience and the experience he had was bad for the job. The story was rotten and full of false bait. But hey! They loved him. Gave him a Nobel Prize for nothing. What could I say. By wife, friends, associates? They thought he was God's gift and his story fine.

And now? Same thing though they are almost certainly and actually beyond reasonable doubt both crooks of long standing and experience thereof. At least Clinton has relevant experience. But she promises some things that are far away from good for the country.

.....Except that Trump wouldn't be able to get anything he's proposed through Congress. A fifth of it if he's lucky.

You mean, if we are lucky.

Please explain.

I'm a Green and have no Republican leanings. Trump has stated he likes Putin and would deal with him instead of demonizing him to promote the Military Industrial Complex and attempt World financial hegemony by the USA, He said he would pull out of Iraq and Syria. The Republicans didn't want him because he is not owned by the usual oligarchy and that's a good thing. I will vote for Jill Stein unless the polls are so close that it looks like Hillary can win, and in that case I will vote for Trump. I think the CIA has too much power in the USA and I don't see CIA infiltration in Trump's campaign.

Neither did Hitler get at first. Granted Trump does not have the same control over the party as Hitler did, but that can change. The RNC is known for its non-violent purges of moderates and undesirables over the last 30 years, so it would not be a stretch that this can happen again.

Point is, that in both cases a populist running on a theme of "anti-establishment" and fear of "something".. in Hitlers case it was the communists/socialists... and in Trump it is race/migrants/terror and so much more.

The only thing I can see preventing a full "Hilter" is that the US has a strong opposition to Trump and with Hitler the opposition was divided.

Most of the Trump supporters think that a good business man equals a god president. It doesnt matter if Trump is actually a bad business man; only that he has money. So they think that Trump can make the USA a successful business. Which coincides with the whole GOP platform about lower the national debt. Basically they are suckers for slick politicians. And they buy into the hope campaign that Obama ran on. Make America great again = hope. In other words its the Republicans turn to vote for a shyster like Obama. Though I have to admit Trump is just a joke. I mean he is after all a conspiracy theorist. He has no clue how the government works.
He probably couldnt pass a grade school level civics exam. s a president I doubt that he could make it a full year before either resigning or being impeached for whatever dumb ass this that he would do.

There is little doubt in my mind that I would prefer someone that had made out well in business to then become a one term Senator and then Governor to one that had risen through the political machine, if they had substantial foreign affairs and security experience. But here we have no experience and a fortune made in the NY real estate development. That is as bad as the opposition, except the woman has experience.

Please explain.

It's embarrassing, it really is. But pretty much, yet again, our election has come down to two bad choices and people are saying you have to vote for X because Y is so bad. There's enough people in America who have already turned their brains off and just run off of this partisan propaganda, not thinking about what they are actually doing to the Republic. So here comes Trump, he's the anti-politician. He's not diplomatic, he doesn't compromise, he says whatever he wants regardless of how stupid it is, and he plays this card of being the outside, anti-establishment guy despite being a corporate elite and pretty much an establishment guy.

It's all a song and dance, a little show, and unfortunately enough people in America are caught up in it. For some reason they take his persona and think that spouting off stupid things whenever they want and throwing insults at whomever happens to tell him "no" at that moment mean that he's somehow going to be a good politician, when it's obvious to everyone with a functioning brain that he won't. Reality TV...it rots the brain. But Trump is the Reality TV candidate. All bluster, all bravado, all drama, no substance.

We'll see where Hillary polls after the DNC convention, there's always a convention bump. But long term, I don't think Trump can sustain a campaign against a Clinton. Not that Hillary is a good choice either, but i think she has the higher probability of winning. Hillary would be a god awful President, but Trump would be an unmitigated disaster and national embarrassment. I mean, he's already a national embarrassment.

Please explain.

What Abbazorkzog said, plus he's actually a genius when it comes to marketing.
Many will dispute this, but it's absolutely true.

He plays 3d chess, while everyone else is still playing checkers.

You have a much higher opinion of the spine and dedication to conservatism on the part of the Republican Party than I do.

The irrational bias has already been exposed. When people make false claims about a person, they first have to undue those false beliefs to have any accurate understanding.
That isn't likely to happen.

You're just mad the only reason people are voting for your god emperor is Hillary Clinton.

It seems sort of pot calling the kettle blackish for someone from Germany calling out another nation for their choice of leaders.

On the other hand, they've had enough experience with absolutely horrific leaders to know when somebody else is making a terrible mistake.

Please explain.

If you consider the function of the POTUS to be playing a (the?) game then Hillary, as an experienced gamer, would be your obvious choice. If you are tired of being played then perhaps not voting for Hillary is the best way of conveying that message to all of the experienced players.

Please explain.
Hey German guy, what has the influx of Islamic culture done to Germany? Thinking along those lines might commence your quest to understand Trump (if you truly wish to understand Trump).

Back
Top Bottom