• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Can someone explain to me why natural immunity testing/status is not part of the COVID solution?

Did I say anyone was???? :unsure:

No you didn't but you seem to be comparing the risks of having immunity from getting COVID to the risks of getting vaccinated. I'm not aware of anyone recommended to get COVID; only the immunity some already have because they've had COVID.

No you didn't but you seem to be comparing the risks of having immunity from getting COVID to the risks of getting vaccinated. I'm not aware of anyone recommended to get COVID; only the immunity some already have because they've had COVID.
I certainly wasn't saying try and get Covid. Yes I was comparing the two as some are claiming once you have Covid you have long term immunity, perhaps to the same level and same protection from new variants so getting the vaccine isn't needed.... ✌️

This is not a rhetorical question. I sincerely want to understand. Is it too expensive or time-consuming to test for this? Does it have to do with Rx profits? Something else?

For what it's worth, I was offered a free antibody test during a routine annual physical. Why? And why can't everyone be tested? Or at least have the choice vs being vaccinated unnecessarily?

One additional consideration that concerns me, beyond the unnecessary risk of side effects when one does not need/benefit from the vaccine, is that each wasted vaccination could have been made available to others, including other countries.

Thanks for your comments.

If I get my annual physical (or "wellness" exam, as I think it's now called for Medicare reasons), I will ask for an antibody test if I am still unvaccinated.
Antibody tests just confirm if you presently have Covid. There is different much more expensive test to find out if you had Covid in the past and now have natural immunity from it.

Antibody tests just confirm if you presently have Covid. There is different much more expensive test to find out if you had Covid in the past and now have natural immunity from it.

Thanks.

I will plan to ask the doctor for that "more expensive test" (of course, I will be delighted to pay for it).

This is not a rhetorical question. I sincerely want to understand. Is it too expensive or time-consuming to test for this? Does it have to do with Rx profits? Something else?

For what it's worth, I was offered a free antibody test during a routine annual physical. Why? And why can't everyone be tested? Or at least have the choice vs being vaccinated unnecessarily?

One additional consideration that concerns me, beyond the unnecessary risk of side effects when one does not need/benefit from the vaccine, is that each wasted vaccination could have been made available to others, including other countries.
I don't think anyone is actually immune. I think it is more a matter of symptoms and how much exposure it takes to become infected. Actually a very strong or over reaction by your immune system to the virus can be even more dangerous.

Having had COVID does not make one naturally immune, but merely more resistant to future contraction of the disease and much less so than when vaccinated. "Natural immunity" is not a solution and all those who've had COVID still need to be vaccinated.

No more posted needed in this thread. Well done, that was fast!

Get to shot Trumpists, just get the shot and stop the crap.

Having had COVID does not make one naturally immune, but merely more resistant to future contraction of the disease and much less so than when vaccinated. "Natural immunity" is not a solution and all those who've had COVID still need to be vaccinated.
According to this, that's not true.

According to the researchers, the findings suggest that natural infection provides immunity similar to vaccination. Therefore, people who haven’t had COVID-19 can be prioritized for vaccination.

By the way, isn't it the NIH thru which Chinese gain of function research was funded?

I don't understand why Gain of Function is a bad thing, considering almost all technology, including immunology, relies upon GoF.
Sounds like someone heard a buzz word and took it to mean "GAIN OF FUNCTION: BAD"
What specifically is bad about Gain of Function testing?

Naturally acquired immunity from catching a virus usually means your immunity will not recognize a mutated variant that appears almost a year later, which is why last year's flu vaccines have to be thrown away at the end of flu season. The mutated variant that shows up months later "knows" how to get around last year's antibodies.
It's called EVOLUTION, which may be problematic for some anti-vaxxers, who don't believe in it.

evolution virus.jpg

There is no money to be made in talking about natural immunity. Thats it in a nutshell. Soon, even though they say vaccines are useless, Fauci the lunatic will be demanding 5 or 6 vaccination shots. Some people are getting awfully wealthy off the ignorant. At least now with everyone saying vaccinations dont work its going to be real hard to convince anyone to risk death to get one.
The Pfizer vaccine is sold to the US government for less than $20 dose.

Mar 15, 2021 — It's no coincidence that the price of $19.50 per dose was similar to the pricing of the flu shots. Pfizer has said the research and development costs of its the vaccine approach $1 billion,

It is saving hospitals millions and the US economy many times over.

Thanks for your comments.

If I get my annual physical (or "wellness" exam, as I think it's now called for Medicare reasons), I will ask for an antibody test if I am still unvaccinated.
Are you figuring that a positive 'antibody test' results is going to be equal to a vaccination passport?
I figure it'd be equal money that it wouldn't be, for some reason.

Having COVID and recovered, you would also have anti bodies against the COVID virus in your blood stream, wouldn't you?

I don't understand why Gain of Function is a bad thing, considering almost all technology, including immunology, relies upon GoF.
Sounds like someone heard a buzz word and took it to mean "GAIN OF FUNCTION: BAD"
What specifically is bad about Gain of Function testing?
Why would you want to create, genetically engineer, a Coronovirus which is more infectious to human lung tissue and more destructive that same tissue?
Can you please explain what scientific benefit for genetically engineering such a variant?
Especially considering such a variant would be at risk for escaping the lab and causing a world wide pandemic?
What are the risks / benefits here? Sure seems like the risks and impacts far outweigh the benefits.

I don't think anyone is actually immune. I think it is more a matter of symptoms and how much exposure it takes to become infected. Actually a very strong or over reaction by your immune system to the virus can be even more dangerous.
This assertion would certainly appear to be anti-science.

Why would you want to create, genetically engineer, a Coronovirus which is more infectious to human lung tissue and more destructive that same tissue?
Can you please explain what scientific benefit for genetically engineering such a variant?
Especially considering such a variant would be at risk for escaping the lab and causing a world wide pandemic?
What are the risks / benefits here? Sure seems like the risks and impacts far outweigh the benefits.

Same reason architects would subject a test home to a 9.8 earthquake even though standards only require the home to withstand a 7 scale quake.
Same reason a company that designs liquid tanks would subject one to 4000 psi even though it is only designed for 250 psi max.
Same reason a car manufacturer would design an automobile body to withstand a 100 mph head on crash even if DoT only requires testing to 75 mph.
Same reason NASA ordered tests to ensure that the Lunar Module could be used as a lifeboat after the Apollo 13 disaster...they got lucky that time, so NASA ordered GoF studies to make sure that if the same kind of accident happened again, they'd be much more certain they could resort to that strategy. Indeed, the Apollo 13 accident WAS for all practical purposes, a kind of GoF study in real time with real human subjects.

Gain of Function testing is universal, and since a virus CAN and WILL EVOLVE and become much more contagious and much more transmissible, a GoF study would be
very important for vaccine makers, so that they can figure out how to formulate their vaccines.
Laboratory accidents happen all the time. Naturally the idea is to reduce that number to zero, but they do happen.
But the benefits, and the absolute NECESSITY of Gain of Function studies is obvious.

The impact of this pandemic was much worse because it was allowed to be politicized.

Same reason architects would subject a test home to a 9.8 earthquake even though standards only require the home to withstand a 7 scale quake.
Same reason a company that designs liquid tanks would subject one to 4000 psi even though it is only designed for 250 psi max.
Same reason a car manufacturer would design an automobile body to withstand a 100 mph head on crash even if DoT only requires testing to 75 mph.
Same reason NASA ordered tests to ensure that the Lunar Module could be used as a lifeboat after the Apollo 13 disaster...they got lucky that time, so NASA ordered GoF studies to make sure that if the same kind of accident happened again, they'd be much more certain they could resort to that strategy. Indeed, the Apollo 13 accident WAS for all practical purposes, a kind of GoF study in real time with real human subjects.
Your analogies aren't making as much of a compelling argument as you might think. In all those testing cases you cite people's lives weren't at stake.
Your Apollo 13 is particularly flawed, in that scenario doesn't even match the GoF research scenario.

A genetically engineered GoF virus, should it escape the lab (a not infrequent occurrence), large numbers of people will die, as we've seen with COVID-19 (which may or may not have been a GoF genetically engineered virus which escaped the lab). Even if COVID-19 wasn't a genetically engineered GoF lab escapee, the point remains the same, which is how devastating such a viral pandemic is on human life.
Gain of Function testing is universal, and since a virus CAN and WILL EVOLVE and become much more contagious and much more transmissible, a GoF study would be
very important for vaccine makers, so that they can figure out how to formulate their vaccines.
Laboratory accidents happen all the time. Naturally the idea is to reduce that number to zero, but they do happen.
But the benefits, and the absolute NECESSITY of Gain of Function studies is obvious.
Meh, still no strong case presented, as of yet, why genetically engineered GoF viruses present such an advantage in forwarding scientific knowledge, given the risks and impact that such genetically engineered GoF viruses present.

How about something more compelling like: 'Without genetically engineered GoF virus research, there would be no mRNA vaccines'. Is this a true statement?

Then it is inexcusable that the Wuhan lab genetically engineered GoF Coronaviruses in a BL-4 rather than a BL-5 setting.
The impact of this pandemic was much worse because it was allowed to be politicized.
No thanks to the left which did that, if you ask me. Yes, yes, opinions differ on that.

Why do brand new posters say the exact same things as past posters?

Your evidence, please?

There is no money to be made in talking about natural immunity. Thats it in a nutshell. Soon, even though they say vaccines are useless, Fauci the lunatic will be demanding 5 or 6 vaccination shots. Some people are getting awfully wealthy off the ignorant. At least now with everyone saying vaccinations dont work its going to be real hard to convince anyone to risk death to get one.
the initial shot for 300 MILLION people at $20.00 a pop, plus at least two boosters at another 20.00 a pop. That's $60.00 per person.

$60.00 times 300 million is 18 billion dollars

Back
Top Bottom