• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Can Queen Elizabeth have a citizen executed?

English royals do not abdicate.

Unless they are decapitated, there is no such provision. And not even their consorts are allowed to completely top themselves in road accidents.:mrgreen:

Chagos:

King Edward VIII and the Wallis Simpson case of 1936 is a recent example of an English monarch abdicating the throne of England/the UK.

To all:

The English King/Queen is now a constitutional monarch with drastically reduced Royal powers and privileges. That includes the power to arbitrarily have people killed, a power which now resides solely in the House of Parliament as an antiquated form of Attainder. However political realities now prevent any branch of the British government from legally killing anyone intentionally and arbitrarily except in wartime, time of civil unrest, or as a result of covert intelligence or military operations abroad. Illegal killings are another matter but I could not possibly comment on that.

Cheers.
Evilroddy.

Last edited:
Chagos:

King Edward VIII and the Wallis Simpson case of 1936 is a recent example of an English monarch abdicating the throne of England/the UK.
This has already been addressed in that parliament practically forced him out.

To all:

The English King/Queen is now a constitutional monarch with drastically reduced Royal powers and privileges. That includes the power to arbitrarily have people killed, a power which now resides solely in the House of Parliament as an antiquated form of Attainder. However political realities now prevent any branch of the British government from legally killing anyone intentionally and arbitrarily except in wartime, time of civil unrest, or as a result of covert intelligence or military operations abroad. Illegal killings are another matter but I could not possibly comment on that.
all of which is totally irrelevant in face of the fact that capital punishment in the UK was abolished COMPLETELY in 1998.

We're not (and were not) talking about war.

This has already been addressed in that parliament practically forced him out.

all of which is totally irrelevant in face of the fact that capital punishment in the UK was abolished COMPLETELY in 1998.

We're not (and were not) talking about war.

Chagos:

Very well. Then I cite Edward II, Richard II and James II/VII as English/UK monarchs who abdicated from the throne. So four such monarchs have abdicated since the 13th Century. That is comparable to many European countries although it does not rival Spain for its large number of abdications.

Capital punishment is only one type of execution (albeit judicially sanctioned execution). IIRC PM David Camron ordered the successful killings of two British citizens back in 2015 for their participatin with ISIS. So extrajudicial executions by the British government persist to date. An interesting question was whether those killings fall on the shoulders of the U.K. Monarch as head of state and whether Elizabeth II was consulted or informed of the killings before they occurred.

Cheers.
Evilroddy.

Last edited:
Chagos:

Very well. Then I cite Edward II, Richard II and James II/VII as English/UK monarchs who abdicated from the throne. So four such monarchs have abdicated since the 13th Century. That is comparable to many European countries although it does not rival Spain for its large number of abdications.

Capital punishment is only one type of execution (albeit judicially sanctioned execution). IIRC PM David Camron ordered the successful killings of two British citizens back in 2015 for their participatin with ISIS. So extrajudicial executions by the British government persist to date. An interesting question was whether those killings fall on the shoulders of the U.K. Monarch as head of state and whether Elizabeth II was consulted or informed of the killings before they occurred.

Cheers.
Evilroddy.
Yes, but apart from the cited monarchs all having been deposed in one way or another, that is also all very well but has no relevance on the original OP question and the follow-on matter of British monarchs of today abdicating voluntarily or not.

Or their capability of ordering executions.

Silly question, I know. And obviously she would never do it. And I’m not talking about being immune from prosecution. I am asking can she legally ORDER the execution of any citizen?

As you so eloquently say: silly question.

And they would be even more stunned to learn that you Brits cut off His Majesty's head at the beginning of that civil war.

When royalty was eventually established, the corpse of the chief rebel (Cromwell) was dug up and ...

Fake news. The Civil War started in Aug 1642. Charles I was executed in Jan 1649.

Back
Top Bottom