• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Can God do anything?

??? What? It's the very opposite of "make-believe."
Used to be the opposite of make-believe, yes. Not. however, since reality became an eleven dimensional probability wave in hyperspace, or whatever the latest weirdness from QM is these days.

The great thing about make believe entities is that they can be or do anything we want.

Agreed which is why most people fear space aliens, of which there is zero evidence they exist. Still, fear of the unknown is the greatest fear of all and fearing "space aliens", which would be super powerful and predatory scares the crap out of most people.

4d0e0676f85070738a598b6919d835b3--predator-costume-alien-vs-predator.jpg

Since there is ZERO evidence they exist, it's stupid to fear them.

I once asked a group of theists if God could cause itself to cease to exist. The answer by all was no because that 'goes against God's nature.'. So, based on that response, if that response is correct.....God is limited, therefore not 'Omnipotent."

On a related note, the concepts of "omnipotence" and "omniscience" cannot co-exist in the same entity.

OM

On a related note, the concepts of "omnipotence" and "omniscience" cannot co-exist in the same entity.

OM

...in the natural universe. Again, we are attempting to attach natural, if not human, limitations on a power that exists outside the natural universe.

...in the natural universe. Again, we are attempting to attach natural, if not human, limitations on a power that exists outside the natural universe.

But that plays into the biblical understanding. Not knowing what God is for certain, there’s no reason to believe it is some sort of supernatural entity unbound by Universal Laws.

OM

Used to be the opposite of make-believe, yes. Not. however, since reality became an eleven dimensional probability wave in hyperspace, or whatever the latest weirdness from QM is these days.

Okay...I might easily be convinced the multiverse is "make-believe;" however, the multiverse theory and materialism aren't at all the same things.
  • Materialism --> Some or other physical process(s) gives (give) rise to everything that exists in the universe we're familiar with.
  • Multiverse theory --> A notion posits what exists, most notably, multiple universes, that is, ones other than the "verse" with which we are familiar.
I'll be honest: I'm in no position to form a strong view about the in-/accuracy of multiverse theory. The propositions of that theory definitely fall, for me, into the realm of:

"Yeah, okay, if that works for you, I'm fine with that and I have no problem with your being right or wrong on that point...Little ol' me, well, I'm gonna focus on the 'verse' I'm used to. But, hey, do let me know if something comes along that shows there likely are multiple 'verses' besides the ones in song. Ya hear?"​

Convincing me that materialism is, like multiverse theory, is make-believe is far more difficult.

You don't understand QM. It doesn't eliminate material.

God resides in you, as you. It is also the substance of everything else in the universe.

God is doing everything and nothing simultaneously. It's only appearances being processed from a dualistic mind that create the subject-object experience.

In other words it's incredibly ironic that an ego projected from consciousness is asking what, if anything, consciousness can do. The question is self-referential even though the questioner is naive to it.

God resides in you, as you. It is also the substance of everything else in the universe.

God is doing everything and nothing simultaneously. It's only appearances being processed from a dualistic mind that create the subject-object experience.

In other words it's incredibly ironic that an ego projected from consciousness is asking what, if anything, consciousness can do. The question is self-referential even though the questioner is naive to it.

Which God are you referring to ? There have been 1000's of God claims made through out human history.

Which God are you referring to ? There have been 1000's of God claims made through out human history.

The one that is inside all of us and everywhere outside of us, that any dimwit can become remotely aware of if they just quiet their monkey mind.

If the god that most people are asking about is infinite, then taking that position to its logical (yet irrational) conclusion should provide some answers.

The one that is inside all of us and everywhere outside of us, that any dimwit can become remotely aware of if they just quiet their monkey mind.

If the god that most people are asking about is infinite, then taking that position to its logical (yet irrational) conclusion should provide some answers.

What does it mean to quiet the mind? And can mentally challenged people do it or are they too dimwitted?

Does this God have a name that humans refer to her by?

What the member described comports generally with Pantheism's notion of God.

Pantheists may answer the title question "yes" with the constraint that humanity can annihilate all forms of matter. As you can imagine, Pantheism's practical and absolute answer to the thread question must then be "no." (I haven't checked to see whether the member, earlier in the thread, has indeed simply answered "no.")

Last edited:
What does it mean to quiet the mind? And can mentally challenged people do it or are they too dimwitted?

It's not something you do. You already are it.

"Trying" to get it is the problem.

Off-Topic/Blue:
"God" is the name of the Christian god. "Allah" is the name of the Islamic god. "Yahweh"/"Jehovah" is the name of the Jewish god.

Jesus is Jehovah

https://righterreport.com/2011/09/29/jesus-must-be-jehovah-god/

The consequence of Skip's being known by two names and being one person is that were folks in my family to chronicle the nature, words, and deeds of Skip, the story we'd tell would differ in places from the one his professional associates tell, and in other places they'd be essentially the same. So it is with Allah and God. Two names; same "guy."

No. Not even close.

"The god of Islam, Allah, is most definitely not the God of the Bible. We find that Allah is presented in the Koran as an autocratic ruler who is aloof and arbitrary (Sura 5:40 ). Allah is unknowable whereas the God of the Bible is knowable (2 Timothy 1:12 ). Allah is impersonal, unlike the personal God the Scriptures reveal (1 Peter 5:6-7). Allah is unitarian (Sura 4:48 ) whereas the God of the Bible is trinitarian (2 Corinthians 13:14 ). Here is what the Koran says about the God of the Bible (Sura 4:171 ): “Believe in Allah and say not ‘Trinity.’ Cease! It is better for you! Allah is only One God. Far is it removed from his transcendent majesty that he should have a son.”

"The God in the Bible is called the God of the Jews, an impossibility with Allah. They are called his chosen people, but they are not Allah’s chosen. Allah commands the Muslim to not take the Jews or Christians as friends (Sura.5:51 disdains the Jews). Mohammed said, “The last hour will not come before the Muslims fight the Jews, and the Muslims kill them.” (Mishkat Al Masabih Sh.M. Ashraf pp.147, 721, 810-11, 1130). So how could Israel inherit the land or any of God’s promises from Allah, if Allah is their God? Clearly he is not the same God of the Bible."

Do Muslims, Jews, and Christians worship the same God? - https://righterreport.com/2011/08/21/do-muslims-and-christians-worship-the-same-god/

Can omnipotent God literally do and be anything?
  • Can God commit suicide?
  • Can God, not a version of God, do be in all respects truly mortal?
    • If God can commence existence as immortal and choose to become mortal, how can that choice be undone?

These omni* descriptors create paradoxes. This means the only thing god can do is not exist.

Jesus is Jehovah

https://righterreport.com/2011/09/29/jesus-must-be-jehovah-god/

No. Not even close.

"The god of Islam, Allah, is most definitely not the God of the Bible. We find that Allah is presented in the Koran as an autocratic ruler who is aloof and arbitrary (Sura 5:40 ). Allah is unknowable whereas the God of the Bible is knowable (2 Timothy 1:12 ). Allah is impersonal, unlike the personal God the Scriptures reveal (1 Peter 5:6-7). Allah is unitarian (Sura 4:48 ) whereas the God of the Bible is trinitarian (2 Corinthians 13:14 ). Here is what the Koran says about the God of the Bible (Sura 4:171 ): “Believe in Allah and say not ‘Trinity.’ Cease! It is better for you! Allah is only One God. Far is it removed from his transcendent majesty that he should have a son.”

"The God in the Bible is called the God of the Jews, an impossibility with Allah. They are called his chosen people, but they are not Allah’s chosen. Allah commands the Muslim to not take the Jews or Christians as friends (Sura.5:51 disdains the Jews). Mohammed said, “The last hour will not come before the Muslims fight the Jews, and the Muslims kill them.” (Mishkat Al Masabih Sh.M. Ashraf pp.147, 721, 810-11, 1130). So how could Israel inherit the land or any of God’s promises from Allah, if Allah is their God? Clearly he is not the same God of the Bible."

Do Muslims, Jews, and Christians worship the same God? - https://righterreport.com/2011/08/21/do-muslims-and-christians-worship-the-same-god/

Clearly 2 Corinthians 13:14 is talking about 3 different entities. NO WHERE is the word 'trinity' to be found in that verse.

Nonsense.

All mankind is mentally challenged, your personal exceptionalism to the contrary notwithstanding.

It means stopping the inner dialogue and just experiencing things around us. Zazen, sitting meditation, is the traditional method, but I used to do it all the time by jogging 4-6 miles; no MP3 player. Just noting my path (off pavement), the sounds of vehicles is near a road but mostly animals, sounds of a river or creek, my breathing, etc. I don't "think" about anything, I just experienced the run.

It would depend upon their specific mental challenge. Most animals do it naturally. I'm guessing some "mentally challenged" people do it too.

Back
Top Bottom