• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Can ex-president Trump be forced to testify or take the fifth at the second impeachment trial?

I should have been more specific. Is there any evidence that he knew what he was saying would lead to a group of Q idiots storming the Capitol? Don't get me wrong, I think Trump's behavior from Election Day to Inauguration Day was awful. He got a whole lot of people thinking things that were simply not true. But the question has been about the rally and that speech inciting a riot. That is going to be hard, if not impossible, to prove. Especially considering some of those involved had been planning their actions since before the speech.
Given Trumps actions to overturn the election it is impossible to believe that he did not know about the plot also. It really is immaterial whether he planned it himself since he becomes a co-conspirator and has violated his oath to the Constitution by not doing everything in his power to stop the insurrection. His speech that morning is the evidence that he was doing nothing but fanning the flames of the mob.

Given Trumps actions to overturn the election it is impossible to believe that he did not know about the plot also. It really is immaterial whether he planned it himself since he becomes a co-conspirator and has violated his oath to the Constitution by not doing everything in his power to stop the insurrection. His speech that morning is the evidence that he was doing nothing but fanning the flames of the mob.
You may think it's impossible to believe that he didn't know. But if it comes to a criminal charge they are going to need evidence of that, no matter how much you assume it to be true.

They had no evidence to impeach Trump, either time.

Since when has "evidence" ever stopped leftist filth? Besides, there is a ton of evidence to impeach LBJ, FDR, Wilson, and every other Democrat POS President going back to Andrew Jackson and his crimes against humanity.

All this leftist insanity will only result in Trump running for reelection in 2024. Your blind hatred of one of your own (lets not forget Trump is a leftist) will only result in your worst fears coming true.

Did you learn nothing from 2016? Karma is a bitch.

But I suppose I should accept the fact that leftists never think anything through. It is why they are defined by their hypocrisy.
Trump will be banned from seeking public office ever again so you are delusional. As much as I would love to see the one term mistake lose yet again the damage he will do to our country by running makes it not worth it. He will be too busy in court trying to keep his ass out of jail too.

You may think it's impossible to believe that he didn't know. But if it comes to a criminal charge they are going to need evidence of that, no matter how much you assume it to be true.
Actually impeachment does not require a criminal charge and his speech contains enough evidence to convict him. You know I am right about him knowing too.

Actually impeachment does not require a criminal charge and his speech contains enough evidence to convict him. You know I am right about him knowing too.
Oh we're still talking about impeachment and removing the President who is no longer President? I thought you were hoping for an actual criminal charge. Then this is pointless.

All this leftist insanity will only result in Trump running for reelection in 2024. Your blind hatred of one of your own (lets not forget Trump is a leftist) will only result in your worst fears coming true.

Did you learn nothing from 2016? Karma is a bitch.

But I suppose I should accept the fact that leftists never think anything through. It is why they are defined by their hypocrisy.
This is what people like you said during the Russia investigation, during the first impeachment, during Kavanaugh — that lefties being crazy would just get Trump re-elected.

Well guess what, it didn’t happen. The public recognized it was actually Trump and his supporters who were the crazies ones, and it is the defense of him through increasingly nutty behavior, and arguments increasingly divorced from reality, that will ensure neither he nor any of his ilk ever win national office again.

I haven't found any discussion of this.

That's probably because people who have read and understand the US Constitution know that the 5th Amendment applies to everyone, even illegal immigrants.

That's probably because people who have read and understand the US Constitution know that the 5th Amendment applies to everyone, even illegal immigrants.
Without executive privilege he will now have to take the 5th and explain why to his supporters.

Is there evidence that he was aware of it?
Interesting question. I hope the trial presents a definite answer. It seems hard to believe he wasn't made aware of it by the FBI, via his intelligence agency briefers. January 5:

'We get our President or we die': FBI issued dire warning day before Capitol riots; 170 suspects investigated
The FBI issued a dire warning on the day before the Capitol riots that violent extremists were planning an armed uprising in Washington, a plot the attackers described as "war" to coincide with Congress' certification of Joe Biden's Electoral College victory, officials confirmed Tuesday.

Does anyone think they forgot to tell the President?

The keyboard warriors yacked about it for weeks on social media. Many were using their best threatening rhetoric. Trump might not have known the specifics of a single plan, but he sure knew the general direction things were headed.

The keyboard warriors yacked about it for weeks on social media. Many were using their best threatening rhetoric. Trump might not have known the specifics of a single plan, but he sure knew the general direction things were headed.
His speech that morning was also calculated and direct in his giving them formal "permission" to "take back America" and to be "strong" because "weakness" would not be enough.

His speech that morning was also calculated and direct in his giving them formal "permission" to "take back America" and to be "strong" because "weakness" would not be enough.
Of course. I hope the senate prosecuters are good lawyers.

The Constitution lays out only three requirements: The chief justice presides over the Senate trial of a president (but not the trial of any other official); each senator must be sworn (similar to the way jurors take an oath); and a two-thirds vote is required to convict on any article of impeachment.

There will never be a two-thirds vote for impeachment. And the Senate can not impeach a private citizen which Trump is now.

More wasted time cause by the idiot Speaker Nancy Pelosi.
More red herrings. But it may open a can of worms.

Oh we're still talking about impeachment and removing the President who is no longer President? I thought you were hoping for an actual criminal charge. Then this is pointless.

It is not pointless. While criminal charges are not filed a guilty result will squash attempts to try again for president.

I am normally against symbolic acts, but in the case will make an exception.

The Constitution lays out only three requirements: The chief justice presides over the Senate trial of a president (but not the trial of any other official); each senator must be sworn (similar to the way jurors take an oath); and a two-thirds vote is required to convict on any article of impeachment.

There will never be a two-thirds vote for impeachment. And the Senate can not impeach a private citizen which Trump is now.

More wasted time cause by the idiot Speaker Nancy Pelosi.
You're correct. The senate cannot impeach. The house impeaches and they already have. And yes they can convict in an impeachment that was already on the books before the moron in chief became a private citizen.

No on can predict the outcome, but the with the introduction of new evidence that keeps pouring in, I won't rule out a conviction and barring from holding office.

It will never get that far. The senate will not have the 17 votes they need for impeachment. But what happens with the SDNY ? That’s a different story

Wrong on two accounts. It takes 2/3 vote for conviction, not impeachment.

And Trump has already been impeached while still the sitting president.

He already has shown contempt for Congress.....

To be perfectly honest, I have a lot of contempt for congress, and I want nothing to do with trump.

If the dems play this right, they will have a parade of witnesses, including some who were active in the assault on the capitol who say they were acting at the behest of the president. They will juxtapose this with Trump's tweets and speeches following his loss, giving those witnesses credibility. Then, after a mountain of this stuff has been seen, the republicans are going to have to weigh how far they can go in supporting Trump.

You may recall that in the first senate trial a year ago, the republicans allowed NO WITNESS testimony and NO EVIDENCE to be presented. That's not going to happen this time.

I haven't found any discussion of this.
If the Vice President and the Speaker had been captured and held, President Trump would have declared a state of emergency before the election had been ratified and declared martial law. And "the die is cast". That is why he waited 4 hours and did nothing.

Without executive privilege he will now have to take the 5th and explain why to his supporters.

Invoking the 5th Amendment does not require an explanation. The Supreme Court said so.

Pursuant to the 14th Amendment, it is the right of every person within the territory of the US -- US Citizen or not -- to invoke the 5th Amendment whether they are guilty or innocent and no explanation is required.

The fact that any person -- guilty or not -- invokes the 5th Amendment is not proof or evidence of anything, other than they invoked their rights.

When was the last time that a jury, the Senate, was witness and object of the case they are meant to decide?

Back
Top Bottom