• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Can Emotionally Judgmental People be Convinced to Oppose Luck UNLESS They Learn the Hard Way?

Can Emotionally Judgmental People be Convinced to Oppose Luck UNLESS They Learn the Hard Way?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• Other (explain)

• Total voters

XDU

Banned
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
Is it possible to show people who put feelings before thoughts that they should keep things under control without personally learning from experience what it's like to endure luck getting pushed against them, or are people who put feelings before thoughts hopeless?

To be clear, the argument I'd make that emotionally judgmental people are hopeless until learning from personal experience is as follows:

Some ideas make sense unto themselves. Other ideas only make sense compared to other ideas.
These ideas are necessary. Those ideas are possible.
These ideas which are necessary happen in advance. Those ideas which are possible happen afterwards.
These ideas which happen in advance are abstract before they're realized. Those ideas which make sense when compared are concrete upon realization.

Psychologically, this which is abstract is inside our minds. That which is concrete is beyond our minds.
What's inside our minds is within our control. What's beyond our minds is out of our control.
We control what we start to think about although we don't control how thoughts conclude such as controlling to think about what 1+1 equals but not controlling how 1+1=2.
We don't control what we feel about although we do control how we respond to those feelings such as not controlling whether we like how apple pie tastes but as controlling whether to eat apple pie.

Therefore, emotionally judgmental people must (unfortunately) learn from experience the hard way about luck.

Even then, a single experience might not be convincing enough. Emotionally judgmental people often need to endure repeated experiences before becoming convinced.

To be clear, I don't like this argument. I actually find it rather disconcerting because it suggests the only way to convince emotionally judgmental people of something is to either spoil them or traumatize them. Spoiling people destroys the self-respect of the spoiler. Traumatizing someone destroys the self-respect of the traumatized. The only way this could be avoided is if multiple emotionally judgmental people who are incompatible are compelled to endure each other such that they learn to cooperate or else.

When you say "Is it possible to show people who put feelings before thoughts", is the meaning as simple as Don't judge a book by..etc or are there more
deeper meanings than that? OR..are they just programmed thru life and experiences to think that way?
Not arguing, just showing my apparent lack of knowledge. :)

Apparently I do too.
My favorite:

1645313816907.png

Lately, I’ve been into cognac. But I’ve never felt an emotional attachment to it. However, I like the feeling.

Now that spring is here in Arizona I’m going to switch to sour mash and gin. No vodka. That makes me emotional. I miss my dogs.

Today there was an article in the paper about where you can buy milkshakes with booze mixed in in the Phoenix area. W.T.F.?

Nothing like a vanilla milkshake with chocolate chips, peanut butter, caramel and a double shot of Jim Beam hangover, right?

The very idea makes me feel pukey and emotional.

When you say "Is it possible to show people who put feelings before thoughts", is the meaning as simple as Don't judge a book by..etc or are there more
deeper meanings than that? OR..are they just programmed thru life and experiences to think that way?
Not arguing, just showing my apparent lack of knowledge. :)
I'm saying some people are submissive to nature whereas others are not. Feelings are a natural reaction to stimulus. Thoughts are an artificial effort regardless of stimulus.

In a sense, yes, our feelings are programmed. We choose whether to act on our feelings, but our feelings are not something we choose. You either like apple pie or you don't.

That said, our feelings can be dissected. For example, say we encounter an abundance of stimulus, and say we focus on some parts of that stimulus before others. It's plausible that by paying attention to certain forms of stimulus first that we will feel some way. If we pay attention to other forms of stimulus first, then we could feel another way. The question becomes a matter of which forms of stimulus we choose to pay attention to.

You could focus on the crust of apple pie, the filling of apple pie, the density or texture of the crust, the sweetness or smoothness of the filling, etc.

This can become problematic though. For example, say stimulus X makes us react a certain way because it's so overwhelming. The classic example here is being tickled. We don't choose to kick out when we're tickled. If you kick out in direction Y, it could lead to some conclusion. If you kick out in direction Z, it could lead to another conclusion.

Back
Top Bottom