• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

can debate really change someone opinion?

stac

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Liberal
Hi All,

After reading endless debates in many forums, I found only one conclusion, never will one side agree with the opinion of another, they will just get stronger on their beliefs,

So maybe we all should quit arguing and start discussing how to bring peace closer, or this is not the agenda of this forum?

Hi All,

After reading endless debates in many forums, I found only one conclusion, never will one side agree with the opinion of another, they will just get stronger on their beliefs,

So maybe we all should quit arguing and start discussing how to bring peace closer, or this is not the agenda of this forum?

that would be nice, but it'd make the forum boring :2razz:

Hi All,

I changed Kelzie's opinion of Iraq and what we need to do in the Middle East. Then I married her.

Hi All,

I've changed my opinion on a lot of things due to facts presented in debates or someone's persuasive or new opinion (by 'new' I mean: I hadn't thought of it *that* way - sometimes that swings me around). Note that when it comes to change for me it's not "immediately during the debate' - it's often after I've taken time to think it over. . . gotten some distance from it.

Examples:
Legalization of marijuana - I use to oppose it.
Gay marriage - use to oppose it
Sarah Palin - use to support her (though debate-facts aren't the only reason why I stopped)
Bush - use to hate him 100%, that's waned to maybe a 40%
Obama - never did and still don't support him but I use to think he was at least a reasonable choice for president, but that's not debate really swinging that, it's what he's doing (or, well, not doing)
Chavez - Use to partially appreciate his views, eventhough he was jilted - but now he's just an asshole.

I could go on.

Hi All,

I have a Poll up on this page I hoped would stir even more discussion of solutions.
http://www.debatepolitics.com/middle-east/72245-israel-palestine-solutions-poll.html
Some not even needing much more elaboration than a vote in that poll. ie, if you vote for 100% withdrawal.. we basically get it. But more meat would be even more welcome. Such as what other actions/terms would follow.

Alas, even a few of the regulars in the section haven't voted much less stated or elaborated their own solution.
Though as I said, not much more is necessarily needed.
Perhaps those few wanted the now infamous 'Helen Thomas' option.

Please feel free to vote of or post there, but the solutions of Most (but not all) of the usual suspects/afficionados in this section are known to each other.

Last edited:
I changed Kelzie's opinion of Iraq and what we need to do in the Middle East. Then I married her.

So are you trying to tell us that she accepted the thrust of your argument?

I've changed my opinion on a lot of things due to facts presented in debates or someone's persuasive or new opinion (by 'new' I mean: I hadn't thought of it *that* way - sometimes that swings me around). Note that when it comes to change for me it's not "immediately during the debate' - it's often after I've taken time to think it over. . . gotten some distance from it.

Examples:
Sarah Palin - use to support her (though debate-facts aren't the only reason why I stopped)
Obama - never did and still don't support him but I use to think he was at least a reasonable choice for president, but that's not debate really swinging that, it's what he's doing (or, well, not doing)
Chavez - Use to partially appreciate his views, eventhough he was jilted - but now he's just an asshole.

I could go on.

I was talking about the M-E conflict, it's hard to change opinion, for example:
Israel claim the annexed territory from Jordan (As many other nation did to many other countries throu history)
Pro Palestinian says they illegally occupying territory.
Look at this debate for proof each will stand, http://www.debatepolitics.com/middle-east/75479-netanyahu-calls-abbas-start-direct-peace-talks.html

Another example,
Israel Claim - they have right to exists
While Hamas, Hizballah, Iran, radical islamic groups and many other says they don't have right to exists and will not stop until pushed to the sea.

Okey so I'm biased blame me, I'm open minded Israeli that cannot see any real opportunity for peace in current world condition and not even in 100 years.

Over all, my core beliefs have not changed very much. I don't think the point of debate is to change another person's mind, but to challenge your own perceptions. I have always remained open to changing my mind if someone can convey something logically to me. For instance, I used to be very anti-gun, and now I am fairly pro-gun; I used to call for more legislative action, and now I have more libertarian ideas in my mind.

I would say though, in general, DP has strengthened my core beliefs, not changed them.

Examples:

I could go on.

Don't agree with all the conclusions that you listed. But certainly do agree that i have been swayed but input from other posters with points and opinions that countered my previous positions......

I was talking about the M-E conflict, it's hard to change opinion, for example:
Israel claim the annexed territory from Jordan (As many other nation did to many other countries throu history)
Pro Palestinian says they illegally occupying territory.
Look at this debate for proof each will stand, http://www.debatepolitics.com/middle-east/75479-netanyahu-calls-abbas-start-direct-peace-talks.html

Another example,
Israel Claim - they have right to exists
While Hamas, Hizballah, Iran, radical islamic groups and many other says they don't have right to exists and will not stop until pushed to the sea.

Okey so I'm biased blame me, I'm open minded Israeli that cannot see any real opportunity for peace in current world condition and not even in 100 years.

Yes, you're right - I didn't notice we were in the Middle East forum, here.

on that note:
I use to side with Israel - now I side with no one, the more I tried to grasp their entire conflict to understand it the less sense it all made to me - I couldn't figure out how far back to go and at what point things stopped being "perpetual discourse" for them - and started to wonder if either side truly wanted peace, I conceide they don't because neither side has proven capable of maintaining it or avoiding defiling it when they do have it for a little while.

I see us as a mediator - we were never involved in it from the beginning (however far back you want to go - you could even say we didn't even exist in the beginning) - and the only reason why we're there and involved, now, is because we're allies with Israel.

I'll also point out that I feel our involvement is somewhat religiously motivated (Biblical roots) and that in some way some people REALLY feel that this issue with Israel/others will bring around the end of the world if Israel fails.

I call it "Paranoia"

So - what can "we" do - nothing. There's nothing we can do. No matter what we do this issue will continue. . . on and on. . . like it always has.

Last edited:
1. Small stuff, like my opinion about various events, people, etc, have changed as a result of debates here
2. Big stuff, like ideological goals, philosophy of right and wrong, etc have hardened and I have become more confident in my beliefs.

Last edited:
2. Big stuff, like ideological goals, philosophy of right and wrong, etc have hardened and I have become more confident in my beliefs.

This exactly the point.

Back
Top Bottom