• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Can anyone Trumpsplain this one for me?

Airyaman

New Druid
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1071387078901030913

Donald J. Trump@realDonaldTrump

The idea of a European Military didn’t work out
too well in W.W. I or 2. But the U.S. was there
for you, and always will be. All we ask is that
you pay your fair share of NATO. Germany is
paying 1% while the U.S. pays 4.3% of a much
larger GDP - to protect Europe. Fairness!

4:52 AM - 8 Dec 2018

So I'm trying to understand. Having a European military did not work out for WW1 or 2, yet Trump wants the Europeans to spend more on military now? What's the difference? There was no European military.

Why is Donnie so friggin' dumb?

So I'm trying to understand. Having a European military did not work out for WW1 or 2, yet Trump wants the Europeans to spend more on military now? What's the difference? There was no European military.

Several European nations formed an alliance fighting as a joint force against the Germans - the operated under a unified command structure, hence THE European , AKA the Allied Powers.

Russia, Japan, and the US was part of the European army?
Huh? The US was a part of the Allied Forces. Russia was on the Allied side in WW II. Last time I checked Japan isn't part of Europe. Eisenhower was Supreme Allied Commander in WW II, BTW.

The difference is, the Europeans want NATO...but they want to suck the money necessary to run NATO from the US. Trump it calling them out.

We spend as high a percentage of our GDP on Military expenditures because we want to. Its not more complicated than that.

As for Europe, 4% pf their GDP's by country which is what Trump has been yammering about would amount to a remilitarization of Europe, without question the dumbest thing anybody ever asked for or heard about.

As for wanting NATO, we want NATO no matter how much yammering we might do about it. Virtually all of the European partners have a plan to get to 2% of their GDP which by the way is not common fund. Its a percentage of GDP spend on their own defense initiatives.

Huh? The US was a part of the Allied Forces. Russia was on the Allied side in WW II. Last time I checked Japan isn't part of Europe. Eisenhower was Supreme Allied Commander in WW II, BTW.

Your words "operated under a unified command structure, hence THE European , AKA the Allied Powers. "

So I'm trying to figure out how Japan, America, and Russia are considered the "European, AKA the Allied Powers". Allied Powers, yes, European, no.

One correction: Russia would be included, my bad.

The difference is, the Europeans want NATO...but they want to suck the money necessary to run NATO from the US. Trump it calling them out.

How so? Funding for NATO is figured by a formula based on the national income of it's members.

Trump is providing the biggest incentives ever for European nations to increase their military spending. To protect themselves against the U.S.

Trumps unique "short-hand" is usually understandable, given a good-faith reading. It's clear he means that collective security treaties between allied European powers failed to stem aggression, in part because they didn't prepare and didn't from the outset have the US to save SOME of their bacon. The US is more than willing to save their asses again, but they ought to pull their weight as well.

Needless to say, the enemy of Europe is no longer Germany - it is the embers of the Soviet Union, Russia. It is also clear that western Europe has neglected its own defense and only some countries are pulling their share - e.g. Poland is on the front-line, so to speak and buffering Germany, who is freeloading.

You can ridicule Trump for his form, but not his meaning.

"Dumb" is innocent. Stupid and ill informed is something else entirely. THAT is what Trump is. He told Tillerson that the US could save so much money by not having troops in Germany or Japan or elsewhere... After Trump left the room, that was when Tillerson called him a ****in moron.

Trump is providing the biggest incentives ever for European nations to increase their military spending. To protect themselves against the U.S.

????? What?? Thats dumb on every conceivable level.

Trumps unique "short-hand" is usually understandable, given a good-faith reading. It's clear he means that collective security treaties between allied European powers failed to stem aggression, in part because they didn't prepare and didn't from the outset have the US to save SOME of their bacon. The US is more than willing to save their asses again, but they ought to pull their weight as well.

Needless to say, the enemy of Europe is no longer Germany - it is the embers of the Soviet Union, Russia. It is also clear that western Europe has neglected its own defense and only some countries are pulling their share - e.g. Poland is on the front-line, so to speak and buffering Germany, who is freeloading.

You can ridicule Trump for his form, but not his meaning.

This is actually a pretty good Trumpsplanation. TY.

How so? Funding for NATO is figured by a formula based on the national income of it's members.

Yes. And Trump is telling them to pay more.

This is actually a pretty good Trumpsplanation. TY.

"Pulling their weight"? Who sets the standard for pulling their weight? The 2% of GDP is a target. It is not a requirement nor a standard for NATO membership. One reason its not is because the collective organization and mostly the US gets more out of the membership than the 2% could ever actually touch for relevance to the actual makings of a contemporary day military alliance.

Now if somebody wants to make the case that our 4% of GDP makes up one heck of a lot of difference go right ahead. You would be better off trying to build an escalator to the Moon than talking us down to a lower number than 4%, NATO or no NATO.

By the way, anybody that thinks that just because Europe is not dominated by the nutty Royals that governed their geopolitical environment through most of the 20th century needs to learn how to read a map. We do not under any circumstances what a remilitarized Europe nor even close to one.

As for the threat from the Soviet Union, as I have stated before, we have to lead. We have to lead. The allies will follow if we lead. The entirety of post WW2 general peace has been based on us leading and there is nobody outside of the Authoritarian regimes prepared to fill the vacuum we are leaving in our wake.

Since we just buried a President that knew something about leading, leading is building a coalition to take on the invasion of Kuwait. Its not insulting every Tom, Dick and Larry ally you have will fumbling for the zipper on the front of the fly of every dictator you can find!

While I am at it the ONLY country to have benefited in actual Article 5 NATO Treaty support from its NATO allies is .......the USA.

Last edited:
Eh, no.

Do you understand NATO, and what the 2% goal is?

Yes, I understand exactly what the 2% goal is. I also understand how NATO is funded.

Again...Trump is telling them to pay more.

He's trolling.

While I don't pretend that he has a secret, masterful control over historical factotum, he knows he's full of **** and the motive for tweeting that is trolling.

Yes, I understand exactly what the 2% goal is. I also understand how NATO is funded.

Again...Trump is telling them to pay more.

Pay more how?

Trump said how: "All we ask is that you pay your fair share of NATO."

OK, now we're getting somewhere.

Does that 2% figure into the "fair share of NATO"? Who gets the 2%? Or is the 2% something else?

OK, now we're getting somewhere.

Does that 2% figure into the "fair share of NATO"? Who gets the 2%? Or is the 2% something else?

I don't know. Trump didn't mention anything about 2%. Maybe you should ask him?

Look. Your game is transparent. Don't bother me with it.

Wanna call someone out, get your facts straight.

Back
Top Bottom