• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Can anyone tell me if there was anything other than putting boots on the ground to stop Putin?

independentusa

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
I keep seeing these GOP talking points about how Biden's attempts to stop Putin from invading did not work. I ask, what would have worked other than putting US and NATO boots on the ground? If everyone out there is so smart that they know how it could have been done, well now speak up or forever hold your crap.

I keep seeing these GOP talking points about how Biden's attempts to stop Putin from invading did not work. I ask, what would have worked other than putting US and NATO boots on the ground? If everyone out there is so smart that they know how it could have been done, well now speak up or forever hold your crap.
Easy-------------Putin was highly encouraged to invade when our democracy was weakened, and who can blame him?

2016 was the cause , and by putting a fit president in office was the way to stop Putin. We did the opposite, and Putin took advantage

What would have stopped Putin is to start moving weapons into Ukraine with the promise of more on Putin troop buildup.

Then you bring the battle to him in a preemptive strike.

NATO troops exercising in Ukraine would keep Putin out or render the above preemptive strike.

Easy-------------Putin was highly encouraged to invade when our democracy was weakened, and who can blame him?

2016 was the cause , and by putting a fit president in office was the way to stop Putin. We did the opposite, and Putin took advantage
I don't know if it was weakness, I think Putin was hurt by the 2020 election, it destroyed a lot of his plans and dreams, so he lashed out.

So yes I agree, Putin wouldn't have liked Hillary, but it wouldn't be like blowing up his dream.

Putin may have taken Ukraine anyway, without a fight on Trump, we don't know, I can't calculate Putin, he could tell you better, if he was so enlightened as to be truthful and impartial.

They can certainly claim it, but they won't.

The people consistently attacking Biden over Ukraine are not interested in honesty or fairness. Ask them to tell you something else will work, and they'll agree in the blink of an eye if you suggest it. If you don't, they will dodge, deflect, derail, or jump thread.

When have any of these Trumpists ever offered an alternate plan, even a crazy one? Never.

We don't get a detailed argument for a strategy that would allow us to hold kabul airport in a way that would assuredly prevent a suicide attack with 2,500 troops. We don't get an argument about the airport and Bagram with the same number. And we don't get calls for another surge; not surprising given that Trump set the retreat in motion.

Think we're gonna get a statement about how he could have deterred Putin? A laughing hell no. Instead we get

"Admits", as if the admin claimed Russia did not in fact invade Ukraine... jebus democracy-hating christ.

The situation in Ukraine is serious and the western democracies need to put an end to it. Putin needs to be stopped, he is holding the world hostage. Putin only understands force. History repeats. 1938-39, Hitler was building up his forces and beginning to take land in Europe as the European leaders only wanted to avoid getting involved in another war. Appeasement wasn't the answer then and it isn't now.

Pfffffft.

I dont care about pootin.
Its a big world out there, people do some dumb stuff, lots of times people suffer unfortunately.
I think if a guy like that wants to invade a neighbor and he believes he's got some reason to do it, he'll go ahead and do it.
I dont think there was really much to do about it that would have positively prevented it from happening.

Bring this guy back. Someone the troops respect.

C9003114-5039-4B9E-A76A-CB34CCF1B5DC.jpeg

In general, it's best to ignore GOP talking points on others' actions since they invariably have no specific suggestions of their own to share.

I mean, ten years hence we'll still be waiting to learn any details about the 'replace' in "repeal and replace" so, well, might as well tune out the noise.

What would have stopped Putin is to start moving weapons into Ukraine with the promise of more on Putin troop buildup.

Then you bring the battle to him in a preemptive strike.

NATO troops exercising in Ukraine would keep Putin out or render the above preemptive strike.

“Brining the battle to him” and “preemptive strike”....by which you mean NATO troops invading Russia.

Yeah, pass.

The situation in Ukraine is serious and the western democracies need to put an end to it. Putin needs to be stopped, he is holding the world hostage. Putin only understands force. History repeats. 1938-39, Hitler was building up his forces and beginning to take land in Europe as the European leaders only wanted to avoid getting involved in another war. Appeasement wasn't the answer then and it isn't now.

There wasn't the threat of a couple buttons being pushed and rendering the world we know it no more.

Japan tried that once and found out what happens when someone is willing to take it to that level...and the world hasn't been the same since. As more nations have become possessors of nuclear armament, that threat has changed diplomacy forever. There is no more simply being the guy on the block with the biggest gun, since it only takes one shot to land from anyone else to render our existence as we know it done.

The GOP has the wrong goal posts.

We don't know. And it isn't really what matters. What we DO know is that Putin thinks he's entitled to attack many countries if he wants, and that he's a mass murdering war criminal happy to launch unjustified war.

We can speculate all day about what he might or might not have done had this or that been done or not done, and that fits his propaganda well to blame Ukraine and the west for the war. Oh, if we had just promised they wouldn't join NATO, he wouldn't have had to defend himself, blah blah blah. His being a mass murdering war criminal is the problem.

“Brining the battle to him” and “preemptive strike”....by which you mean NATO troops invading Russia.

Yeah, pass.
It wouldn't be NATO if you just gave Ukraine arms, they could take down that buildup.

We've got to learn not to listen to Russia, not to listen to Putin, not to listen to Donald Trump.

You know what they will do, lie, contest the election and invade Ukraine.

It wouldn't be NATO if you just gave Ukraine arms, they could take down that buildup.

We've got to learn not to listen to Russia, not to listen to Putin, not to listen to Donald Trump.

You know what they will do, lie, contest the election and invade Ukraine.

They could, theoretically...and it get a lot of Americans killed and start a global thermonuclear war.

We’ve got to learn that we can’t, in fact, invade whomever we want.

They could, theoretically...and it get a lot of Americans killed and start a global thermonuclear war.

We’ve got to learn that we can’t, in fact, invade whomever we want.
I'm not saying we do this or even the Ukrainians, but to keep Putin out you'd have to throw a lot of arms in there as he built up.

Back
Top Bottom