• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Can anyone honestly think of a good reason the US doesnt just absorb every country down to the Panama Canal?

The drawback to "absorbing" sovereign nations (who haven't consented btw) is that it would cost too much?

I'm more interested in Step 1: absorbing. What does that 'cost'?
The right question is what the ROI would be. Latin America has many trillions of dollars in mineral deposits alone. Absorbing them would pay for itself and then some.

I mean...doesnt it just make sense? Half their population is already here, their countries are for the most part shitholes but since we are dumping money into them anyway, why not make them states and let capitalists see what they can do to build viable companies with jobs for the locals, using our economic standards along the way. No pay exploitation, leave, sick leave, health care, unions...all the usual stuff...

OK...maybe Costa Rica...we draw the line there. That would be OK.

I think it would be merciful. Hell, Haiti, The DR, Jamaica, Puerto Rico...all of it. Let Cuba make their own choices...we arent trying to start a war here. Just sayin.

Forget it. He's rolling.

The right question is what the ROI would be. Latin America has many trillions of dollars in mineral deposits alone. Absorbing them would pay for itself and then some.
No. The right question would be how do you "absorb" other sovereign nations? And under what circumstances would we even consider it?

At the risk of being reminded of Godwin's Law, isn't "aborbing" how Hitler got started?

No. The right question would be how do you "absorb" other sovereign nations? And under what circumstances would we even consider it?

At the risk of being reminded of Godwin's Law, isn't "aborbing" how Hitler got started?
Ask Israel.

But you want more nation building. You must be a republican
???

What makes you think I want that?

And no...I'm not a Republican.

Yes you are.

Actions speak louder than words.
And my actions have never made me a member of that club.

You are dismissed. (consider yourself lucky)

And my actions have never made me a member of that club.

You are dismissed. (consider yourself lucky)
Anyone reading your posts on here would disagree.

Your posts make it clear that you are indeed a Republican whether you want to admit or not.

(I don't blame you for not wanting to admit it).

I mean...doesnt it just make sense? Half their population is already here, their countries are for the most part shitholes but since we are dumping money into them anyway, why not make them states and let capitalists see what they can do to build viable companies with jobs for the locals, using our economic standards along the way. No pay exploitation, leave, sick leave, health care, unions...all the usual stuff...

OK...maybe Costa Rica...we draw the line there. That would be OK.

I think it would be merciful. Hell, Haiti, The DR, Jamaica, Puerto Rico...all of it. Let Cuba make their own choices...we arent trying to start a war here. Just sayin.
Given that we have invaded and occupied most of Central America, exercising veto power over their governments, that might make sense. And supporting your point, Mexicans joke that the three largest cities in their country are Mexico City, Guadalajara, and Los Angeles. But shit holes they are not. Guatemala is as green and pretty as Ireland, with fabulous archeological sites. There are probably 8-10 separate vacations one could take in Mexico, with its varieties of food, music and culture. Look at pictures of the city of Guanajuato, as scenic (almost) as San Francisco. Check out the wonders of the Baja Peninsula. See the colonial marvel that is Patzcuaro. Visit Cancun. Note the fabulous modern architecture of Mexico City’s tall buildings.

Im not asking for smartassey, douchey replies. Its a serious question. The reality is that we as a nation are already absorbing their burden every year. Thats not going to stop. If you lack the capacity to actually think through this or are just uninterested, then by all means...carry on.
The OP was an attempt at an "smartass" "douchey" assessment.

You keep looking at this as conquest and not a compassionate venture. Normally when you think of Empires, you think addition of countries to make you more powerful. These current countries are a total drain...on their citizens and on us.
It would, though. As they are these countries have positive GDP. As they are these countries have economic growth. More people working is always better. Why do you think China/India have such large economies? If we really cared about the well-being of the people there wouldn't we massively invest in them regardless of if they are directly a part of our country or now?

And also a whole new population of low wage workers that can be employed by the moneyed class.

Most of them do not come here for work. They come for welfare entitlements and free healthcare.

I don't think enough emphasis has been placed on how psychotic this idea is.

In case anyone missed it, the nations of Central America are sovereign nations, and no other country has any business trying to overthrow them.

William Walker, the crazed mercenary tried to take over much of Central America, he even took over and ruled Nicaragua for a while. But, he got his ass kicked when he tried to take over Costa Rica, and was executed in Honduras. Central Americans are not too keen on anyone trying to conquer their nations.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Walker_(filibuster)

I can imagine pretty much everyone between the north border of Mexico and the Panama canal would not be happy with being annexed.

Back
Top Bottom