• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Can a white person understand what it's like to be a black person?

• Total voters

Dragonfly

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist

(poll coming)

Some people have a better knack for empathizing than others, but you can never truly put yourself in another person's shoes.

What about a white person who has lived in mostly black areas? Is that equivalent to what black people experience? I'm guessing the BLM defenders haven't actually done that.

What about a white person who has lived in mostly black areas? Is that equivalent to what black people experience? I'm guessing the BLM defenders haven't actually done that.

They would certainly be tuned in better than most. But completely? I doubt it.

I voted Other.

I think I have empathy for some of the plights that are described to me. But until one has truly felt the humiliation some have endured, I think it is IMPOSSIBLE to know how they feel from the moment of that humiliation forward. Humiliation is a very powerful emotion. It is highly unpleasant. And if one feels powerless besides? I would think it would be crushing.

Can a non-conspiracy theorist understand what it is like to be a conspiracy theorist?

Liberia. It was set up for them. Let them got there if America is so bad.

Some people have a better knack for empathizing than others, but you can never truly put yourself in another person's shoes.

Oh come on. :roll:

Can anyone really know what it's like to be someone...anyone else?

All one can do is try to be empathetic, be willing to listen, and then make an attempt to understand whatever is being conveyed at the time.

People can share experiences but even then view the same experience differently.

I don't think it's necessary to understand what it's like to be someone else.

IMO it's better to have an open mind, trying to accept and deal with each person on an individual basis.

Last edited:
If they are emotional empath ,yes they can

I voted the first option as the question posed in the OP was "CAN" a white person understand, and of course anybody with reasonable intelligence is capable of understanding when it is explained to them or shown to them or when they have experienced something similar themselves. The question was not "do white people understand" but it was "can a white person understand. . ." That is an important distinction.

Some people can as much as it is humanely possible to understand another. I try to put myself in all roles including black males and including officers of all race who risk their lives and have to make split second decisions.

I guess putting ourselves in those places including understanding context is the best we can do. I want all people to have equal rights and fair and just treatment yet I am infuriated that as a result of a minority of officers we are demonizing a profession and generalizing.

Officers day after day are called into violence and I know this intimately and ones that are not racist and they take risks to protect all people. Promoting violence as some BLM have doe against officers iw wrong yet a judicial watch by BLM of incidents is fair.

I look at it from all angles.

I am seeing injustice towards black people and I am seeing injustice and disrespect of police officers and entire departments who risk themselves daily to keep communities safe.

Case by case people with accountability and standards for LE and not inciting murder of innocent people or groups by misguided activists would be a good start.

I am disgusted.

I sense the direction of your question. With your permission, allow me to redirect the question:"Can a poor, uneducated white person understand what it is like to be a rich, Harvard educated black person?"

Yes because there is no inherent black person experience. Or white person experience. Everyone's experience is different. People need to stop pretending that because you have dark skin or light skin, you are somehow all the same. You're not.

Liberia. It was set up for them. Let them got there if America is so bad.

So essentially you're telling tens of millions of black Americans to go back to Africa. What the hell is wrong with you? Do you have any shame at all?

Oh come on. :roll:

Can anyone really know what it's like to be someone...anyone else?

All one can do is try to be empathetic, be willing to listen, and then make an attempt to understand whatever is being conveyed at the time.

People can share experiences but even then view the same experience differently.

I don't think it's necessary to understand what it's like to be someone else.

IMO it's better to have an open mind, trying to accept and deal with each person on an individual basis.

Sorry Brewerbob and forum members. I don't know how this happened, (trying multi-task most likely). :3oops:

The post was supposed to be in reply to the OP Post #1.

NOT this one:

So essentially you're telling tens of millions of black Americans to go back to Africa. What the hell is wrong with you? Do you have any shame at all?

No, the time is past for empathy and shame. It's not working here for some African-Americans. They just need to go. The government can set up a fund to pay for their transportation and initial settlement.

pretty much.

Other - it depends on which white person and which black person we're talking about, as well as:
How different their situations are.
How much ability to empathize with others they have.
And so on.

Perfect then, just the environment they seem to enjoy.

You certainly think you can understand what it's like to be a black person. You seem to know what kind of environment they enjoy. What else do you know about black people? Anything positive?

I actually have a better question:

Does it matter? This country is founded across a wide variety of people. We as citizens have a responsibility to make our communities/self a better place. If you fail to do that? It is your fault.

The don't snitch mentality that comes out of the worst neighborhoods in America, white or black, has fostered a major criminal element to take root. And the laws play right into those hands too. It is a joke. A sick joke.

And further dividing ourselves based on race is STUPID. You are an American. You aren't black or white.

Can a black person understand what it's like to be a white person?

I actually have a better question:

Does it matter? This country is founded across a wide variety of people. We as citizens have a responsibility to make our communities/self a better place. If you fail to do that? It is your fault.

The don't snitch mentality that comes out of the worst neighborhoods in America, white or black, has fostered a major criminal element to take root. And the laws play right into those hands too. It is a joke. A sick joke.

And further dividing ourselves based on race is STUPID. You are an American. You aren't black or white.
Really, mainly white Christian, Puritan, and slave based.
You have inherited systemic racism that has been ongoing for far more than decades. And done very little to address it.

Still not the same thing because when push comes to shove, he is still not black and will be pulled over less frequently, he will be jailed less frequently (statistically) and he will have less risk of being shot by the police. He will also be discriminated less because when it comes to most things in life, even though he lives in a mostly black area, he still isn't black and will be treated differently (read more advantageous) than a black person will be treated.

Back
Top Bottom